Scale 4x4 R/C Forums

Scale 4x4 R/C Forums (http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles (http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   big boy toys sprint car restoration (http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6514)

shodog 08-25-2006 09:00 AM

big boy toys sprint car restoration

This is a Big Boy Toys sprint car conversion for RC-10. I bought this one about a year ago but never really did anything to it except install a set of Tecnacraft wheels on it and take these photos

A few of things prevented me from starting this project. The body that came on this car is cut weird and has extra holes drilled in it. I picked up a new Protoform sprint car body but didnít like how it didnít hang low enough. I didnít like the combination of fiberglass chassis and front aluminum nose plate. Plus the fiberglass chassis had a bunch of extra holes drilled in it. And last, I didnít like the skinny front wheels that are really for a buggy. So this project stayed on the shelf for a long time.
As I was taking pictures of my Tecnacraft wheels, it dawned on me that I had a set of smaller wider front wheels that would it the matching front proline road hawg tires. I started to gather all the bits I needed to do this restore. Luckily I came a across a NIB genuine big boy toys body. The third problem was solved by a NIB Andyís chassis.

So this is what I collected to start this project. For the front suspension I am using a set of front and rear Andyís arms. The front suspension mount, steering knuckles and rear axle carriers are made by RPM. The titanium front axles are made by Tecnacraft and the titanium hinge pins are from RC Performance Specialties.

Next is a collection of Team Pit Stop aluminum screws.

For the steering and camber links I used Dubro ball links and Tecnacraft titanium turn buckles

The chassis used to be a full size RC-10 chassis from Andyís. Itís made of carbon reinforced plastic. I used a router table to cut it to the exact dimensions of the old fiberglass chassis.

I plan to replace the outer shock bodies with new one and install a set of CRP aluminum shock collars. I will also use a new ball bearing supported steering set up from MIP.

For the gear box I wanted to use something better than the old stock six gear transmission. I wrangled back and forth between using a MIP transmission or a Team Pit Stop chain drive transmission. Since the chain drive transmission looked cooler I went with it.

Instead of using a normal pinion and spur gear I opted for a set of Hyper Drive belt drive gears

Here is a shot of all the aluminum cages disassembled and ready for sanding, cleaning and polishing.

Here is the body set I will use. I think I will mount it with Velcro instead of punching holes in it for normal body mounts

Here are the set of Tecnacraft aluminum wheels I will use. They are a three piece design. I took them apart and used my neighbors lathe to polish the outers up to chrome. I painted the centers with Testors gold metal flake paint. I had to make the tire inserts using plastic that I got from a local plastics store. The tires are proline 2.0 Road Hawgs.

So far I have the front suspension assembled. I decided to go with the stock front suspension mount instead of the RPM mount so that I can add a sway bar down the road.

MrB 08-25-2006 02:11 PM

very cool, love your projects dude! those wheels are beautiful!

635 08-25-2006 03:12 PM

I`ve never seen one of these before :blink: .
Great project :nice: !

Spoon37 08-25-2006 03:24 PM

cool! :banana:

your projects always amaze me with the number of now rare hop-ups and aftermarket bits and bobs from back in the day that you use... do you spend all day everyday on Ebay? :lolbeat:

:banana:

Old Busted Hotness 08-25-2006 04:01 PM

Holy wow. And I thought restoring an old Tamiya was gonna be a handful.

I do like the chain drive tranny "because it looked cooler" :crazy: 999 out of 1000 would have bolted a Stealth in there and been done with it. The belt/chain combo is gonna have a nice effect. One thing I wonder about: Since the belt doesn't reverse the rotation between the motor and the tranny like a pinion/spur setup does, will your sprinter run in reverse? Or is the conversion so old that it's designed for sealed (non-timed) motors and you simply reverse the leads?

Either way, this is hella cool :nice:

shodog 08-25-2006 09:00 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys. This sprinter is turning out killer.

Dremelit, your right, i never thought about that. It doesn't matter though as i am running a 12 turn mod motor with 0 degrees of timing advance.

KevinLG 08-26-2006 08:20 AM

Wow! Those wheels look like vintage racing ones like found on most Trans Am or otherwise Datsun 510s.

Kmot 08-26-2006 10:53 AM

That is sweet! :nice:

shodog 08-27-2006 07:41 PM

more progress

I did some more work to this sprint car. Before I could go any further I needed to dye some parts black and re-dye other parts so that it would all match. So I cleaned up the part the best I could and brought a pot of water to boil. I added just a bit of Rit black dye.

This is at about 2 minutes in the boiling dye.

After about 4 minutes they were done. I rinsed all the excess dye in the sink.

I switched out the bodies and caps on the front dampers and installed them on the chassis.

I assembled the team pit stop Transmission. I used a NIB gold motor plate but after I put it on I thought it might look better with a black one from the worlds car. I also built up the rest of the rear suspension. I was able to score all new genuine associated 8/32 aluminum screws so evertything looks fresh on the bottom side.

here is a shot of the hyper drive belt set up installed.

And the last item for the day was the switching out the rear damper bodies and caps

Spoon37 08-28-2006 05:24 AM

looks great! :nice:

you missed a white bit in the middle of the trans tho... :smackbutt:

:banana:

Old Busted Hotness 08-28-2006 06:13 AM

So you're putting the Modified in Sprint modified :lol: Very sweet.

Slyp Dawg 08-28-2006 09:51 AM

you gonna race this one?

Mello_Yello 08-29-2006 11:58 AM

WOW, sweet. Plain and awesome, wanna see it done!!!

shodog 08-29-2006 12:26 PM

Thanks again for the compliments.

Spoon when I was assembling the tranny I realized that I forgot to dye that piece. Oh well at least I bought a big bottle of the dye.

Slyp, I'll probably have to run it at least a few times. With the amount of work and new parts I am using to restore it, I don't want to get too carried away.

I started to assembling more of the chassis and then came to the conclusion that I didn't like the aluminum sides.

They were not long enough in the front and they had several sloppy holes drilled in them for the side pipes. I so i decided to make some new ones

I used a sheet metal bender to curve them so they meet up with the rear bulkhead and extend all the way to the front shock tower. I mounted them up last night but it was too late to take pics.

shodog 09-05-2006 08:58 PM

This buggy is slowly coming together. I have the chassis assembled and the body cut out. I need to cut the rear of the body out and mount the driver. Then get it all painted up.