Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Scale 1.9's
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 1.9's Scale trucks that use 1.9" tires. Discuss your XC and similar type trucks.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 7512
B/S/T Feedback: (17)
Default Land Rover D90 w/ AT Chaser Trailer

I've been lurking in the corners of this here place for a few years now. Mostly admiring the immense amount of skill that's balled up in this place. I've given a few things a go and I've been winched in by scalers. My first build was a Losi MRC that I cut a custom metal chassis for and fitted a F350 hard body on. I did a drop bed and Tonneau cover for it.

So, I decided to take the plunge and actually buy something worth showing you guys, and gals. I picked up a SCX-10 kit and I also purchased a D90 hard body. I know you have seen these before and they aren't anything special in comparison to what I see built on here, but this one is MINE! Here's the bummer, my D90 hard body isn't in yet so this post is just about the SCX-10 in it's stock glory. I'll be updating it when the body comes in. I have some pretty small, but realistic things to do to the D90.

NEW TOY!!!!

I was REALLY happy to finally get it, so I had to.. it was all I had, and it was the last one so don't judge. lol
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...0/fb5eda20.jpg

My work space prepped and ready to go:

The Build:
It's stock, you've seen them before many times. I'm just happy to get it so I'm .

Axles

Completed:

Drive Shafts:
Built very well actually. I don't see these breaking easily.

Shocks:
These leave a bit to be desired in my eyes. Cheaply produced. This is probably the only part of the entire truck that I don't like. I'm going to customize them a little so they have some appeal to them while I'm using them. I'm hoping to replace them with something more scale for the D90 body. I also purchased a lift kit, but I found out that I'll need new drive shafts in order to use it.

Transmission:
I looked a thread on RCCrawler.com and saw that "Mirroring" the trans will help with torque twist. Well, it works for the AX-10 but not the SCX-10 for some reason. Here's a picture of it "mirrored".

Here's the rig as a roller:

I wanted to have a basher body to throw on it and not be worried about getting it scratched and damaged so I picked up a HPI Racing 1973 Bronco body and modified it a bit. I cut the "Roll Bars" out of it and used the Dingo roll cage. I had to modify the Dingo roll cage a little, but it fits for the most part. I need to find a more secure way (other then hot glue) to keep the roll cage in place. It's ok for now though, it's just a basher.

Here's a picture after paint. I used Rustoleum spray bed liner after I painted the body (underside), and on the fender flairs. It didn't add a crap load a weight and I figured it will help save the paint from chipping and might add some durability to the body. Turned out nice in my opinion.

Finished with Roll Cage

Ok, so I wanted to keep things scale so I figured after I built the truck and figured out how to do it without screwing up mounting points, etc.. I thought I would spray the chassis with the bed liner. I taped up everything that needed a screw in it or needed to be adjusted etc. Turned out great!

Finished product! For now, that is.

I had to take it for a drive today, but I didn't have my foam cut and tires mounted so I stole the 1.55's from the F350 and used them. The truck was so low that I couldn't even get over a small 4" branch on the ground. lol. Don't mind the rear body mount. I need to think of a better way to keep it secure.

It looks good out in the wilderness even though it's got tonka toy tires. I'll get some updated pictures soon.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Old Time'r

*&%!. Sorry for the picture size.

EDIT: Resized

Last edited by SpecterXP : 04-06-2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Resized pictures
Old 04-07-2012, 08:34 AM

Member Number: 13924
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

very nice work, that body is great.... congratulations
Old 04-07-2012, 09:21 AM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 11889

Very nice work! I like the bedliner!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Old Time'r

Thanks for the kind words!! I can't wait to meet up with some locals and go for a ride!

EDIT: (Zip: 21222)
Old 04-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Old Time'r

I went to a local state park (Fort Howard, MD 21052) and drove around a bit. Here are some pictures of the rig completed with the basher body on it. I flipped it once (tumbled a few times, lol) and the cage held very well.

Here are some "scale" posed shots.

Here are some action shots. Excellent flex, tires held up very well and provided excellent traction. The Titan motor is working out very well. I think I'll end up investing in some other upgrades like a 4-link, chassis mounted servo, drive shafts (w/ a lift kit) and steel trans gears. Probably in that order too.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Building scale since 1985

Member Number: 7162

That's a great looking rig, for a basher. Nice work.
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart...It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Colossians 3:23 & 24
Old 04-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Old Time'r

Thanks! I figured it would be best to start off with a cheap body to get used to how to control it on the rocks and such. I seem to be doing ok considering I've only had it on it's side a couple times while actually trying to climb over objects. I can't wait to get the D90 body and start working on that.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 11889

Looks like you had a lot of fun!
Old 04-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Old Time'r

RCTech9: Yep! Can't wait for my D90 body..

Speaking of which, it came today (wasn't expecting for another 4 days/17th). However, it came in the form of a Re-Delivery notice because the idiot who attempted to deliver it couldn't read house numbers correctly and attempted to deliver it to my neighbor 2 doors down. How you can mix up **60 and **56 (same first 2 numbers) I will never know. We even have house numbers (sarcasm)! The delivery notice even had the correct address on it and that was hand written. I'm going tomorrow at 9am to go pick it up from the post office. Then my work begins.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Old Time'r

Ok, I picked up the body and did a mock mount up. It will sit a little lower on the chassis and I'll actually still have just enough clearance with the stock Axial rims/tires. I'll have to run those for a while because I'm low on funds for the build right now. Plus, I'm planning on doing a lot of Styrene work on it.

Here is that I've done so far.

Cut the radiator area out. I'm planning on making something, unique, here. Think "Wheeler Dealer" (TV show on Discovery Velocity). You should be able to , and find the video.

I also cut out the gas filler cap area.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Building scale since 1985

Member Number: 7162

Cool project. I did see the Wheeler Dealer show when they did the D90. Are you happy with the width of the axial axles for that body. Always wondered how that would look.
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart...It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Colossians 3:23 & 24
Old 04-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Old Time'r

Thanks! I'm pleased so far, the tires stick out about a 1/4 inch from the fender flares but the stock Axial tires are a bit "balloon" like so I'm sure if I got a set of Rock Crusher II X/T, I wouldn't have that overhang. That's probably what I'll end up doing, but I can't spend that much at the moment. I've got some styrene, glue, paint and some other supplies to purchase first.

The gunmetal D90 they drove in the beginning looks awesome. That's why I cut the grill out of my D90. I wish I could find an engine to put inside with a turbo so I could route the piping and open the hood.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Lack of Time'r

Member Number: 14277

The stock axial wheels and tires do really well setup on an SCX10 and this body. And Another view. I've also run the HPI Bronc body on an SCX10, with the dingo cage

Cheers!

RJ
Old 04-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Old Time'r

I did something similar with the Bronco and Dingo cage. It's my basher body. After mounting my D90, I'll have to find a new way to mount the rear of the Bronco though. I cut off my shock tower body post mounts.