Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Scale 1.9's
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 1.9's Scale trucks that use 1.9" tires. Discuss your XC and similar type trucks.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Compusive Hobbyist

Member Number: 9277
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Ambitious build—I love it. Keep up the good work.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 09-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 12577

Santa came! Well, er I mean the UPS guy came.

After I got the box opened and set the chassis out on the kitchen island, I must have just stared at it for 15 minutes. Then, I came to my senses and went and got the body to see how bad the fit really was.

To no surprise, it was not ideal. The links would have to be shortened.

Moving the rear forward was no problem, however I did have to cut the driveshaft down a little bit. The front is another story. I need to shorten the actual links as there is no adjustment here. I am still figuring this one out. I am looking int whether I can shorten the current links or if I'll have to buy new shorter ones. Also, the tires are WAAAAY to large for this scale. I had bought a replacement set of 1.9 tires that mimic my BFG's on my 1:1 and put them on the chassis. They are slightly smaller than the Mud Pluggers that came with it but significantly wider. I hate to keep throwning money at this, but I will be ordering 1.55 rims and tires as even the 1.9 rims are much too large for scale.

I now know where I have to cut a bit more out of the wheel wells and that will be next. I will also order new wheels & tires.

That's all for now.

Cheers,
-Steven

Last edited by nevets : 09-16-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Wasting Time'r

Ok, I may have been wrong about the front links. Turns out there was another set of adjustment holes. I went into the transfer case cross member and it worked out great. The wheelbase is exactly where it should be. Now just to get those smaller wheels & tires.

Cheers,
-Steven
Old 09-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Where i am going and how did i get here

Member Number: 4135
B/S/T Feedback: (29)

Sweet chassis, That is cool it comes pre assembled.

Are you going to open the wheel wells any for the tires?
Old 09-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Wasting Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badxj View Post
Sweet chassis, That is cool it comes pre assembled.

Are you going to open the wheel wells any for the tires?
Just a bit, but I think I'm going to get a smaller wheel/tire combo for a more scale look.

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Wasting Time'r

Well, Spidey wanted to go for a test drive, and I was happy to oblige.

He got strapped in and took the Rover for a test spin in the courtyard area of our house:

Here is just a small snip of video from the adventure:

I already had my first breakage. One of the rod ends on part of the front 4-link broke. I was very disappointed by this. I knew they were plastic, but did not know they were that fragile. RC4WD did send some extras, so Spidey was not held back for long.

Unfortunately, I have to put the Discovery project on hold for a week or so as I have fallen behind on some more pressing obligations. So stay tuned though. The real fun is about to start on this build.

Cheers,
-Steven
Old 09-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Built Jeep Tough...Oh wait its built Ford Tough

Member Number: 6790

Great work on the body and the chassis
Old 09-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Wasting Time'r

Very small update: I have not been able to work on this like I'd like... Life is getting in the way of my fun!

Anyway, I had shortened the wheelbase by moving mounting positions, then fine tuned by adding a small nut between the rod and rod end and got my wheel base spot on to the body.

I trimmed just a bit off the wheels wells, but not much. I made a front body support from aluminum stock and used industrial velcro to secure the front. I have set an additional row of mounting holes in case I decide to do a "body lift" in the future. The rear is still temporary, it's thin gauge aluminum sheet. This still hinges on whether I decide to lave the plastic bumper or go metal.

With the body mounted, it looks tall, but I am taking into account that there is virtually no weight on this yet. I am anticipating that once the bumpers are done, roof rack, interior, scale accessories, etc, etc. it will sit where it needs to.

I will go the 1.55 route with tire/wheels, but the 1.9's clear the body perfectly. There may be some slight rubbing with front wheels turned at full stuff, but again, very minimal. That will also be moot issue if I go 1.55 anyway.

Well on to the photos!

Old 09-16-2010, 12:28 PM
I make bodies

Member Number: 1951
B/S/T Feedback: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets View Post
Cutting the windows went better than anticipated. I was nervous about this. I did not cut the rear cargo windows out yet as I plan to add filler to make the body shape more accurate. I did end up cutting out the sunroofs. I was going to add styrene and filler to the rooftop to accentuate the Discovery roofline, but decided against it. I think I will be happy as is. Especially after the roof rack is made and attached. I also did not cut out the Alpine windows yet. I really need some advise before I do this as I am not sure how to best bend and form the clear styrene. I have searched and come up with heating in oven, but not too sure about that. What about heat gun? All suggestions appreciated on this one. If I do not cut them out, then I will just make trim and fake them in. Not optimal but better that half a$ glass job.

My next step for tonight is to do the body filler (bondo) at the rear glass area. I may also add some fiberglass inside for rigidity. Thoughts? Or just plate some styrene in there.
On the Alpine windows, look for blister pack material that products are packaged in, or look for the smaller clear soda pop plastic bottles. They already have a curve and may work.

To make the body more rigid, I have had great results gluing metal rod like metal coat hangers inside the A, B and C pillars, and in other key areas. It stiffens the whole body without having to cover the entire inside of the body.

For the roof rack, go to an office supply store and get those wire mesh paper trays, they are made from a really scale looking expanded metal and you can get them in black or silver. Like here.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Wasting Time'r

Stew, thanks for the tips! I have made the Alpine windows and I did use a blister pack material. However, I used the flat area and used heat gun and bent it around a bic cigarette lighter. I have the profile dialed in perfectly. Took a couple tries, but did it. All of my glass and lights are made and ready to go on after I paint the body.

I really like your suggestion for mounting rod into the window pillars. I will definitely do this.

As far as the rack goes, I am going to scratch build it, but the mesh would make great flooring.

Thanks again for your comments and help!

-Steven
Old 09-16-2010, 03:38 PM
LRFFLR

Member Number: 3098
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Looking good
Old 09-16-2010, 04:51 PM
I love my wife!!!!

Member Number: 1672
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

great build so far man! If you havent picked a tire yet I would suggest the RC4WD bfg 1.55 all terrain knockoffs. I think they would be perfect...
Old 09-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Wasting Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJEEPBUILDER View Post
great build so far man! If you havent picked a tire yet I would suggest the RC4WD bfg 1.55 all terrain knockoffs. I think they would be perfect...
I looked at those tires and like them quite a bit. I even have a 32" set that I use as my street tires on my 1:1. However, for this build, I want to go with the mud terrain pattern. So, probably still gonna go with the RC4WD tires, just not the AT's. However, a second set is not a bad idea either
Old 09-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Wasting Time'r

I started working on the Safety Devices roof rack for the Disco this weekend. I am using solid stock (steel) for it and it's coming together pretty nicely. I did my best to replicate all the right curves and aesthetics of the rack as I could on such a small scale.

I brazed this together with silver wire and an oxy/mapp torch.

Pics:

This is the basic bottom structure for which the rest of the rack gets built off of. The 1:1 is constructed in the same way. It is one single tube, bent, welded in front center.

Here, you can see the the bends to the front. This is where I will later weld light tabs.

This is the floor of the basket. It will have legs coming down connecting to the bottom structure. Here you can see the distinct Land Rover roof line.

Nearly complete! I just need to do the light tabs and rack feet.

I have made roof rack flooring out of an Office Max metal mesh letter tray. Works great. I have temporarily zip tied this down to see if I like it attached that way. I use heavy duty zip ties to secure the flooring onto my 1:1 rack, so thought maybe I could do it on the scaler... Not sure about it though.

Here is the inspiration again. I am pretty pleased with the outcome of my scale version.

A quick mock up on the body.

I tried to make feet for it out of thin gauge aluminum, but melted right through it. Hopefully I have better luck with sheet metal (steel).

Question for the pros: when I get to making the feet and light tabs, how are you guys securing them in place while you braze? the tabs are going to be so small and I'm having a hard time figuring out what I can do to secure them while I cook.

Thanks!

-Steven
Old 09-20-2010, 01:30 AM

Member Number: 5076

I still love this truck. Some impressive work!