Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Monsters, Scale 4X2, & Non scale R/C > Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles This is the place to put your Sand Scorchers, Bajas and other various 2wd offroad R/C's

Old 01-10-2009, 09:18 PM
keep it dirty

Member Number: 5145
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default why do buggys do so well rwd?

OK well Ive been trying to figure it out. why do buggy's do so good rwd but when i try to make a Tc rwd it spins out all over the place!

when i got my vintage radio shock buggy going with real RC electronics with old tires it does SO WELL

but when i have high grip soft tires in the rear of a rwd touring car it spins out every chance.

stupid question sorry just wanna stop figuring it out lol

i guessing suspension has a lot? but know i don't think so lol

and no this isnt a joke

i know alot about rc cars of all types but this one is idk...<_ <

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:36 PM
got spare parts?

Member Number: 2553

it mostly has to do with weight transfer.

a 4wd car will be balanced so that it has about a 50/50 weight distribution.
a RWD buggy will tend to have most of its weight on the rear axle to give it better traction.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Banned

Member Number: 3176
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

wasnt this JUST answered somewhere else?? look how low, wide and stable a buggy is, of course it wil handle better in RWD than a narrower TC. its basic stuff here.

yes a good driver can do amazing things to overcome that, but as a general rule they are totally non comparable.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Banned

Member Number: 3176
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

Originally Posted by TrueThorne
how do you explain buggys to do good and not TCs

Origianlly posted by SteveK
Buggies are about 50% wider, have larger tires, and easily double or triple the suspension.

2WD buggies are have a different weight distribution than a touring car; 2WD buggies have the motor mounted behind the rear wheels, while touring cars typically have the motor just in front of the rear wheels. Pushing the motor to the rear gives the car more rear end grip and stability; putting the motor in front of the rear wheels makes it change direction more quickly. Theoretically this could be better, but it can be harder to drive; during dirt/clay oval racing I experimented with mid-motor layouts in my RC10 in buggy/modified and truck format, and the mid-motor car was always a little trickier to drive. If I spent more time I probably could have dialed it in better, but at the time I got so frustrated with the racing ($10 entry fee for two 4-minute heats and one main over about 3 hours) I just quit competition altogether.

The braking and acceleration issues are more neutralized as the grip level increases. A 4WD car will tend to understeer with the brakes on or throttle off. One-way differentials, which basically let the front wheels 'freewheel' under braking, essentially turn the car into a 2WD under braking, help on really high grip surfaces like carpet. When you get on the throttle, a 4WD car will spin all four wheels at once, which can lead to more understeer. This is why rally teams have spent hundreds of millions of dollars to develop advanced transmissions and differentials to split the power between the front and rear wheels.

2WD cars are faster and more efficient than 4WD cars because the resistance in the transmission is much less. FWD touring cars will have a higher top speed than a comparably geared 4WD car.

The comparisons between 2WD and 4WD are really just true on paper; it all depends on the situation and how you drive it.

Now, as far as that particular chassis, I think it will handle much better AWD because of the layout. If you were to convert it to the TA01 rear end, which has the motor further back and the rear driveshafts are 'forward swept' it might help the 2WD performance. The best option for a 2WD layout would be to get a buggy chassis and swap in different suspension arms to narrow the width (IE the RC10DS).

Kyosho sold a rally car, in electric and gas, that was basically their 2WD buggy with narrow suspension arms about 10-12 years ago.

as well as several other people explanations. kinda redundant to ask again dontcha think?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:54 PM
keep it dirty

Member Number: 5145

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
Originally Posted by TrueThorne
how do you explain buggys to do good and not TCs

Origianlly posted by SteveK
Buggies are about 50% wider, have larger tires, and easily double or triple the suspension.

2WD buggies are have a different weight distribution than a touring car; 2WD buggies have the motor mounted behind the rear wheels, while touring cars typically have the motor just in front of the rear wheels. Pushing the motor to the rear gives the car more rear end grip and stability; putting the motor in front of the rear wheels makes it change direction more quickly. Theoretically this could be better, but it can be harder to drive; during dirt/clay oval racing I experimented with mid-motor layouts in my RC10 in buggy/modified and truck format, and the mid-motor car was always a little trickier to drive. If I spent more time I probably could have dialed it in better, but at the time I got so frustrated with the racing ($10 entry fee for two 4-minute heats and one main over about 3 hours) I just quit competition altogether.

The braking and acceleration issues are more neutralized as the grip level increases. A 4WD car will tend to understeer with the brakes on or throttle off. One-way differentials, which basically let the front wheels 'freewheel' under braking, essentially turn the car into a 2WD under braking, help on really high grip surfaces like carpet. When you get on the throttle, a 4WD car will spin all four wheels at once, which can lead to more understeer. This is why rally teams have spent hundreds of millions of dollars to develop advanced transmissions and differentials to split the power between the front and rear wheels.

2WD cars are faster and more efficient than 4WD cars because the resistance in the transmission is much less. FWD touring cars will have a higher top speed than a comparably geared 4WD car.

The comparisons between 2WD and 4WD are really just true on paper; it all depends on the situation and how you drive it.

Now, as far as that particular chassis, I think it will handle much better AWD because of the layout. If you were to convert it to the TA01 rear end, which has the motor further back and the rear driveshafts are 'forward swept' it might help the 2WD performance. The best option for a 2WD layout would be to get a buggy chassis and swap in different suspension arms to narrow the width (IE the RC10DS).

Kyosho sold a rally car, in electric and gas, that was basically their 2WD buggy with narrow suspension arms about 10-12 years ago.

as well as several other people explanations. kinda redundant to ask again dontcha think?

Thanks talon i asked the quastion in another thread and got that answer. You guys to know your offroad stuff