Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Monsters, Scale 4X2, & Non scale R/C > Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles This is the place to put your Sand Scorchers, Bajas and other various 2wd offroad R/C's

Old 12-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 2588
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Grasshopper? rebuild

So my brother gave this rig to me a couple of years ago when I first got into the rc scene, I baught a new futaba attack system(bacause it was cheap) to replace the non working attack system it had. Added a new mechanical speed control and a new motor. I remember when he got this in 89' or 90', I was about 5 years old and he used to chase me around the yard with it haha. Now that the grasshopper has been rereleased Ive been thinking of doing a rebuild. The rims I have are metal and I would like to clean them up a bit and replace some of the old worn parts. The red body is an old parma body he baught back in the day and I would like to revive it as much as possible and do the theme as a tribute to my brother. I have some better elecs I would like to install and I will probly modify a bit of the original design beacause I want this rig to have good performance. There are some weak spots in the chassis that i have beefed up a bit but most of this will probly be replaced... Any ideas are greatly appriciated and ALL input is welcome. Thanks for looking... Pics...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 12-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Drive it like you Stole it!

Member Number: 1569

I put a MM5700 Kit in mine, its a blast, If you need ANYTHING for that I have it so let me know if you need any parts
Old 12-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Wasting Time'r

Where did you get shocks? or what did you use?? I had to make some jankey friction setup for temporary as you can see. Also the main thing that needs replaced is the chassis itself, it has cracks and fractures in some pretty crucial spots.
I have a 17x2 that Im going to put in it, that should suffice for no more than what I want to do with it though my gears are shot. I have a spare gear set for my clod, I think they are the same gears so Ill have to check into that.
This rig just needs minor repair and replacements, probly no more than 40 bucks and a few hours time.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:56 AM
Drive it like you Stole it!

Member Number: 1569

Stub, I always ran stock shocks, and stock gears, I have extras of both if you need them let me know, also think i have a decent chassis I would part with
Old 12-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Wasting Time'r

Hey Tamiya I have already got a chassis on order, but I would like to talk more with you about a spare gear set and stock shocks... Thanks a bunch!

I cleaned up the shocks and axle this morning.. I dont know why because its all pretty useless as it sets haha.. But I had an extra axle casing that I swapped everything into to replace the old cracked housing. There was soo much crap in the old housing, the picture you see is after I cleaned the BIG dibris out of it. As for my shocks Im going to have to look into another set or building something more affective than what is on there now. I think the gears are going to last for the time being but I would like to replace them as well... Here are a couple pics.
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2008, 12:57 AM
keep it dirty

Member Number: 5145

cool rebuild. i wana see more! you have a fan!
Old 12-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Wasting Time'r

Sweet, thanks... Here is a small update, I got my new chassis and I put all of the rest onto it so its a roller again. Found some body mounts to use for the time being. Id like to clean up the body and maybe try making something like fender flairs and a front bumper. More to come.... Pics...
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2008, 08:23 PM
keep it dirty

do those come with diffs? or a spool?
Old 12-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Wasting Time'r

It has a diff...
Old 12-24-2008, 06:16 PM
keep it dirty

thats cool man!

you should paint it black! or silver IMO!

you also should have done a step by steo rebuild. with pics.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Wasting Time'r

Well almost all of the plastic has been replaced as far as gearbox and chassis, I was planning on keeping the red color on this body since thats what color it was when I got it. I have been thinking of buying an extra body, not sure what color I'd go with though.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.

Member Number: 3418

I hope your not throwing away the original parts.
If you want a runner, IMO I would save the old stuff and replace with new, then switch the old parts back to the original car as you go.
The body IMO is better left for the shelf, if you trash it, it is gone for ever.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Wasting Time'r

No Im not throwing anything away... I have all of the old parts in a bin for right now... Ill probly build a roller for the shelf with all the original parts. It is a runner now and it runs pretty good. As for the body, it crossed my mind as well about damaging it and it becoming worthless. I do have a spare thrasher body I am using to run with for now.... The only thing that is original on the runner is the gears, front arms, and shocks( wich will probly be replaced) and the wheels.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Administrator - Professor Spoon! I have Evil Powers, and I teach! Mwuhahaha

Member Number: 16
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

looks like you have yourself a hornet or at least a grasshopper with body mounts for a hornet lexan body and wing.

this is my restored grasshopper:

which started life distinctly worse:

if you wanted it restored as a grasshopper you'd need the hard body that bolts to the chassis with 4 3x10mm self tapping screws, the 380 motor with the bonze pinion pressed onto it, and the sand scorcher style rear tyres - guessing your after something that runs a bit better tho?

mine is fun as a runner btw dont think theres much point in having a shelf queen 'hopper
Old 12-28-2008, 05:51 PM
keep it dirty

I'm starting to like vintage buggys more and more

I can't wait to get my sand scorcher back on grass and sand at the park lol