Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Scale 1.9's
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 1.9's Scale trucks that use 1.9" tires. Discuss your XC and similar type trucks.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 12577
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Land Rover Discovery 1 Build

Greetings! My name is Steven and I am getting ready to embark on my first scaler build. I am going to try and replicate my zebra striped 1999 Discovery SD.

I have been lurking for a while, trying to determine what platform I was going to use for my build. I had decided on the RC4WD Gelande. I ordered it last week and I am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I also ordered an ABS Kamtec body from England. The body is quite generic and will need lots of help so that it fits my standards of what I want my scaler to look like. I am going to do my best to document and update this thread throughout my build.

I know how to use the search function and have been able to find a vast amount of info that will help me along the way... however, I already know that I will be asking questions about things that I could not find through searching in regards to customizing the body and making accessories. I am excited to be here and to learn from some VERY talented people that I have followed on this board.

So, for now, here are some photos of my 1:1 Land Rover:

Gratuitous driveway shot:

Flexy shot by my house in 2006:

Off roading at Windrock:

Without the rack on:

Going swimming:

Recovery effort:

Rack that I will construct out of steel tube:

So that is what I want to recreate. This might be a little ambitious for a first project, but I'm just that way.

Cheers,
-Steven
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 08-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Banned

Member Number: 3176
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

anything with zebra stripes just becomes instantly awesome lol. i once owned a VW beetle on 33inch tires painted zebra.

definitely a sharp looking fullsize, looking forward to seeing your scale version.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:02 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 12498
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

I've got a discovery scaler, it grows on me every day
Old 08-25-2010, 08:10 AM
Wasting Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by blukon98 View Post
I've got a discovery scaler, it grows on me every day
I'd love to see some photos!
Old 08-25-2010, 08:20 AM
Wasting Time'r

Gonna play catchup here. This is from the other night when I got the body. It is similar to a Discovery, but does not have any detail at all. The notable Discovery humped roof line is quite lacking. I am not sure what I am going to do about this. I may build it up, but also because I plan on building a roof rack like the Safety Devices rack on my 1:1, I may leave as is. The rack has the contour as well and that may be sufficient.

Anyway on to the photos. This is what it looked like when I got it out of the shipping package:

Next up... Start trimming!

Cheers,
-Steven
Old 08-25-2010, 08:30 AM
Wasting Time'r

I cut all the excess ABS away. This includes the wheel arches and bumper areas. I completely removed the front bumper area as I plan to fabricate a new metal bumper later on. The rear I am torn with. The mold is similar to my 1:1 bumper shape and I could add a bit of styrene to make near identical. However, part of me wants to chop it off as well to fabricate a metal bumper for it. Gonna leave it for now until I get the chassis.

I used a Xacto blade to cut most of this out and then went to the dremel cut off wheel to do the rest. I sanded with 150 grit sandpaper wrapped around a small aerosol can to get shape right in wheel arches. and touched up other areas with dremel sander and sanding blocks.

I'm overall happy with how it came out.

Next to cut out windows.

Cheers,
-Steven
Old 08-25-2010, 08:31 AM
D90/Discovery II/LR3

Member Number: 10454

Hey Steven welcome! Nice 1:1 and can't wait for the finish product. I have a DII and also a DII 1:10 same kamtec body with the scx10 chassis. Lots of work, just take your time...I didn't... I rushed it but still pretty good. Keep us posted.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:43 AM
D90/Discovery II/LR3

Member Number: 10454

For the hump on the roof I just added layers of styrene...But since you're putting a roof rack, maybe just leave it as is?
Old 08-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Wasting Time'r

Cutting the windows went better than anticipated. I was nervous about this. I did not cut the rear cargo windows out yet as I plan to add filler to make the body shape more accurate. I did end up cutting out the sunroofs. I was going to add styrene and filler to the rooftop to accentuate the Discovery roofline, but decided against it. I think I will be happy as is. Especially after the roof rack is made and attached. I also did not cut out the Alpine windows yet. I really need some advise before I do this as I am not sure how to best bend and form the clear styrene. I have searched and come up with heating in oven, but not too sure about that. What about heat gun? All suggestions appreciated on this one. If I do not cut them out, then I will just make trim and fake them in. Not optimal but better that half a$$ed glass job.

Here are some photos:

My next step for tonight is to do the body filler (bondo) at the rear glass area. I may also add some fiberglass inside for rigidity. Thoughts? Or just plate some styrene in there.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
-Steven
Old 08-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Lack of Time'r

Member Number: 2276

thats 1 sweet Disco!! its always good to see people who actually wheel in there trucks...on long island, there are tons of "grocery getter" Discos..nice to see one in action. nice build.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Wasting Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mg-rover1 View Post
Hey Steven welcome! Nice 1:1 and can't wait for the finish product. I have a DII and also a DII 1:10 same kamtec body with the scx10 chassis. Lots of work, just take your time...I didn't... I rushed it but still pretty good. Keep us posted.
You were actually my inspiration to do the Discovery body. I have read and reread your thread. I'm pretty pumped about this build and better yet, my low self confidence has not deterred me yet

My big questions coming up are going to be the front end fabrication with the grill, lights, amber turns and the rear lights. Part of me wants to take the easy way out and photo the front of a Discovery and print out a decal the full size of the front end.

Also, does anyone have any good suggestions for making body lines? I used a blade to get a path, then a scrawl to widen. Really open to suggestions and tips here.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:57 AM
1% Inspiration - 99% Perspiration

Member Number: 11667

looks to be an awesome build

Wes
Old 08-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Wasting Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony7325 View Post
thats 1 sweet Disco!! its always good to see people who actually wheel in there trucks...on long island, there are tons of "grocery getter" Discos..nice to see one in action. nice build.
Thanks for the compliment. Yea that old Disco has been though some stuff. One of the photos that I posted that shows a recovery is when it was on it's side. I lost a lot of zebra stripes that day.

Cheers,
-Steven
Old 08-25-2010, 04:24 PM
if you don't use it, ya won't break it

Member Number: 2177

nice start. i also find it nice that you actully use your 1.1 as in uk plenty are only used for the school run

great start keep up good work even if it takes time
Old 08-26-2010, 03:25 AM
O tuga

Member Number: 9097
B/S/T Feedback: (19)