Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale On-road R/C > Car Discussion
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Car Discussion Touring cars, Rally Cars, Drifters, whatever!
Talk among yourselves!

Old 02-09-2019, 06:12 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 14261
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Ha-ha I am such a bad influence... Corrupting the nation since '77...

Admit it, that's going to look cool no matter what you do, plus it'll be the only one around.

Yeah the Chrysler wasn't the fanciest auto but when it wasn't covered in shop dust it looked really cool. I did see it driving once after I fixed the motor for him. Definitely not your average camry lol. The details on the back seat conversion are fuzzy memory but I think it was just a standard bench seat back there, retrimmed in an Ozzy Osbourne or Counts Kustoms kinda feel although probably no actual influence there just a Gothic vibe. It's a very rare vehicles here in Aus, don't see a lot of standard examples of that era being driven and I've never seen another hearse based on it. Just cool knowing I've helped keep a bit of history going.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 02-09-2019, 08:18 PM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028

Now you're corrupting internationally.

Well yeah, if i didn't think it'd be cool i wouldn't have ever mentioned it. The idea was see how close a 57 chevy was to the 50s cadillacs, lesalles, or whatever, see if the front & rear could upgrade, then maybe turn into a coach. Then i noticed the National conversions.

It's a cool car, any idea who did the coach work on it? I'm assuming it was all aussie since right hand drive. I dig the seat embrordery, might be cool to go cross on one, pentagram on the other.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:49 AM
Wasting Time'r

I had to put on my archaeology hat and go digging in my workshop thread (another forum), I had it wrong too, I thought it was 60s but it was late 50s model. 57 AP1 Chrysler royal is the same style.

"It's an actual hearse. Was built by Webber bodies in Frankston back in the fifties from basically a new car from what I can gather. I'm still not sure if they started with a sedan or wagon but I found where they cut it up and built the extra length into it."

Frankston is a south eastern bayside suburb of Melbourne, Victoria.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:34 AM
Another Newbie

Very cool, i didn't know anything about those hearses.

Take a 2 piece body, make it 1 piece and set aside until inspiration hits.

Make the body 3 pieces, make them not touch or touch weird. Grab solvent weld, make it 2 pieces. Grab soldering iron, make D-pillar connections stronger. Grab solvent weld and scrap, make it 1 piece. Grab brass and epoxy putty, make the roof sorta touch.

Grab some masking tape and a sharpie, so the insanity shows up better. But *don't* actually look at the source pictures you've spent the weekend looking up, the phone's in the other room.

I know there's a lot of Superior, M&M, Eureka... sneaking in there, however I'm already feeling that a lot more than a normal shoebox chevy.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:28 AM
Wasting Time'r

Definitely like it better than a regular bellybutton 57.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:32 PM
Another Newbie

Is that stock roof heights "chop-top look" working, or should i really hate myself and try to go for a high roof with commercial glass? If i chop in a little more at D-pillar window area it might give me the rake without fully hating myself, but it's still adds lots of loathing in probably adding even more compound cuves. Or maybe it was once a high-top, but she had it chopped during the restoration?

If i keep the drip-molding area line on the roof, it'd be building it like a Combination car (ambulance or limo style hearse with removable landau panels) instead of landau (no window, just steel with the irons).

Looks like National built these as end-loaders, no 3-ways, so i shouldn't suicide the back doors. Their rear loading door opened toward 'street side' for some reason, i'd rather it be 'curb side' even if it's not true to form.

http://www.hearseclub.com/members/larry/larry.htm
fairly close to what i was thinking
Old 02-11-2019, 03:13 AM
Wasting Time'r

I gotta be honest.. I was half about to ask if you were going to bump the roof up. Didn't want to cause you grief buuuuuuuut.. it is one of the characteristics that make it a hearse. Maybe bumping up the D pillar to give the angle is enough to pull it off?

After looking at the pictures of that one, I think the reason for the door opening that way would be for safely loading without having to navigate around the door. On a model though I don't really see a problem having it open either way.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:35 AM
Electric Monk on a bored horse

Member Number: 185
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

Keep the low roof and call it a coroner's wagon:

Bonus: It's a 2-door wagon, the best kind of wagon.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:56 AM
Wasting Time'r

Hey that's a good way to look at it, plus it could fit in with the emergency fleet you're gathering.

By the way, what is that coroner's wagon? Looks sweet as. Guessing it's Ford with the round tail lights?
Old 02-12-2019, 03:58 AM
Electric Monk on a bored horse

Member Number: 185
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

Yeah, '57 Ford. And if you look at the headlights on that Chevy VHS rewinder, they look a whole lot like '57 Ford.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:59 PM
Another Newbie

The hearse has been exhumed and reinterred.
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=86432

I only mentioned the rear door hinge side because in the USA we drive on the right side of the street, from the left side of the car. If you had to do street loading with this setup, you'd have the pall-bearers step off the curb, come around behind past the door, and be working closer to traffic while trying to carefully load someone. Not the safest. Plus most now open curb side instead.

Cool first-call car busted! Any other pics of it?

Yeah the headlights on it are wrong. But compared to all the stretching, chopping, and whatever else this body takes, thinning out the lens mount rings or building up a transition to french them in is nothing.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:04 PM
Another Newbie

The whole time i've had the car, I'd been bummed about the ruined white paint, but i found out Iso-alcohol got the old gas schmoo cleaned off pretty easily.

So in celebration, it got chromed wiper arms. Then since the best looking cop car wheel setup is black steelies with dogbowls/babymoons and beauty rings, i added the set of chrome rings.

I knocked together a rear strut-tower brace, which is more of a rear body support and package tray through the back window. I'm probably going to punch the on/off switch up through it if i can find some kind of 'cop junk' like a hat or gun to make into a switch hider.

---
I shared this car over on the 'Cox engine forum' since it started life as a Cox product. Somebody liked the bus, so here's many VWs.

I'd finally ordered some sirens from Evan Designs. I'm happy to be able to know for sure the "9v" option works great off a 7.2 stick pack. I didn't check it on 4.5 - 6v rx voltage yet. It will still take an RX Switch and a Servo to run the Police siren remote.

It has a momentary button to toggle sirens, Adam 12 can use the siren in mode 2 or 4. All the sounds in sequence (1) and phaser (3) just don't fit early 70s american cops.
A 'Police siren' will also be getting installed in the Econoline Ambulance, all sounds will work without being too weird for that vehicle.

I'm calling it close enough to a Federal Signal PA20A.

I also got their Fire Siren for my dads FWD fire engine, it's a great Federal Q that winds up nicely but doesn't free roll down, they're a little heavy on the Grover airhorns. Guess i'm going to be really pushy on the way to the scene. I'll definately need one for my American LaFrance project later, probably with an upgrade speaker. Screaming Q!!!

Last edited by frizzen : 05-16-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:20 AM
Another Newbie

Very shortly this will be entering a 'Cars are the Stars' contest over on its original engine forum. I'm trying for getting it ready to rock even though it's somewhere between squeezing into their Modified class and an Outlaw class that's not in the running.

Here's the wire harness it takes to run the body lights. Supplier issues mean the roof lights are still currently setup as only solid instead of Red solid / Amber wig-wag. Grrr.

I'm probably going to pull the RX Switch out of the Ambulance so i can have the siren finctional and wire it up pretty. Then have to knock together a servo mount for the momentary switch.

Need to pick up some white paint for touch up, then chrome out the window trim.

Then take it outside, get some pretty pics, then i can try to get a "Dishonorable Mention" or maybe even get to take "Worst Prize"!
Old 05-22-2019, 08:43 AM
Wasting Time'r

Yeah who wants first, when you can have worst..

Lost me with the "original engine forum", just meaning standard running gear or something else? Which forum are we talking about?
Old 05-22-2019, 05:15 PM
Another Newbie

I'm being vague so it doesn't look like i'm trying to ask for ballot stuffing. There's enough info between posts 57/58 to find their board and the contest if you want. I'll let her stand on her own with them.
They're mostly about planes with some cars that are mostly about circular speed, i'm just doing it different with a generally unpopular car type.

Originally (before i went Electric) it sucked Nitro and was the Ducks Guts.
Sh-she's the last of the V8's! S-sucks n-nitro, with phase 4 heads! 600 horsepower through the wheels! She’s meanness set to music and the ***** is born to run!