Scale 4x4 R/C Forums

Scale 4x4 R/C Forums (https://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles (https://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Scorcher Pickup (https://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61233)

FLB 05-20-2011 03:04 AM

Scorcher Pickup

2 Attachment(s)
I am hooked on VW's these days and I was inspired by a few custom pickup volksrods I've seen. My goal is to get to a look similar to these baby's:

FLB 05-20-2011 03:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I will be working with some Scorcher parts I scrounged of the 'bay, another Maisto body and although the Tamiya SRB front suspension is pretty scale, the rear A-arm configuration is going to change to resemble more of the VW trailing/swing arm layout. I also intend to alter the front shock tower height and location so I can lower the body more on the frame. This was one of the issues with my RatScorcher build. I am going to use the rear diff from TA03 (I believe) chassis that I had lying around. This will make the CG lower than the Scorcher rear end and make the profile lower as well.
First thing was to start with a central beam, similar to a VW chassis-establish the wheels base and locate the front end and get the rear suspension going. My last build had the wheelbase at 12" so this will be the same. This is where I ended up:

FLB 05-20-2011 03:28 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the foggy cell phone pics-my camera was charging-
Anyway-more focus on the rear suspension and drivetrain. Fitted the trailing arms and motor/diff. The motor is a Tamiya sport tuned job that should be enough for this build. This is going to be on-road only so I anticipate I'll have enough power to roll-Still messing with wheels and tires. Oldbusted had suggested 1/8th scale tires for my last build-so these are from the bigT kit. I am also going to mess with RC4WD stamped steelies. Tires look cool but are prob too hard for the rear-prob need to think of some solution for traction-but I'll do that later. Rear shock towers are next. Then off to the body.

BADMUTHATrUCKER 05-20-2011 04:54 AM

Banana 05-21-2011 01:46 AM

great rear suspension :)
I see an only problem...if you have the trailing arm fixed to the chassis only by the hole shown in ur pics, it will probably move right&left...why don't you make it looking like a "V" and don't make another internal mount hole on the tube?

like this :)
http://www.google.it/imgres?imgurl=h...w=1003&bih=567

sorry for my bad explaination :$

FLB 05-21-2011 04:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Banana (Post 826875)
great rear suspension :)
I see an only problem...if you have the trailing arm fixed to the chassis only by the hole shown in ur pics, it will probably move right&left...why don't you make it looking like a "V" and don't make another internal mount hole on the tube?

like this :)

sorry for my bad explaination :$

I completely understand and thank you. Right now, I need to get the shocks mounted so I can make sure I have proper clearances. Then I will test for movement as you suggest. On a VW, there is another arm going to an attachment at the center tunnel. That might be something to add.

FLB 05-21-2011 08:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Shocks are installed. Now I need to add limit stops to the arms so that the axles don't pop out at the extreme points of travel. That's next on the list.

idrockcrawler 05-21-2011 10:21 AM

Dig it!

SMOKE-DOG 05-21-2011 01:52 PM

I like how this is looking.

FLB 05-21-2011 03:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by idrockcrawler (Post 826964)
Dig it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMOKE-DOG (Post 827024)
I like how this is looking.

Awesome guys-thanks-here's the very start of the body work. I was able to use roof panels for the back of the cab-saved me a lot of work. Lots left to do-

FLB 05-23-2011 08:18 AM

5 Attachment(s)
In order to get the front end low, I modified (eeek!!) the SRB uprights (they were new-not vintage!) to be lower and accept the shocks inboard. I used Sand Scorcher rear shocks on the front as I do not need a lot of travel, this being for street only. I also added a floor pan so I can mount the cab and the electronics. Pan is screwed in from underneath into the square center beam. Placed the body and tire on there to check fit.

Mitsubichi_rock_Crawler 05-23-2011 08:33 AM

lookin great so far.. always loved the rat/truck look of beetles... will be stalking this thread!

FLB 05-23-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitsubichi_rock_Crawler (Post 827653)
lookin great so far.. always loved the rat/truck look of beetles... will be stalking this thread!

Cool man-thanks!
It's a fun build so far-I can tell because I haven't had a major screw up (yet) or cut anything off!

ZimmsCustom 05-23-2011 10:18 AM

A lot of cool things going on here. I tried my hand at something like this once, but never could get it figured out, great job!

FLB 05-23-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZimmsCustom (Post 827682)
A lot of cool things going on here. I tried my hand at something like this once, but never could get it figured out, great job!

hey thanks! we'll see how this one comes out-