View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 08:18 PM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 19557
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Quote:
Gotta admit, with this project I've gotten way more adventuresome with the CAD. Was an absolute bloody necessity to scope the movement of the racks, the animation above, but even the little things like the bolts and heads in this part. I can plan ahead and countersink the one set so the rack doesn't trip on the heads. And going back to the bit where I had to move the flatrack up to get leverage from the lift mechanism, having this in CAD was priceless. Coupla mouse clicks and it moves up, oops, too much, coupla more clicks, move it back down until it's right. Can't say I got everything right the first time, but certainly avoided a TON of rework.
And that is the beauty of learning how to work with stuff in the 3d world. =)
I will say, you have gotten a lot more adventurous than I have with the CAD work, but yeah, it does pay off to learn how to do it.

Really enjoying seeing this build come together, and how you went about figuring things out.

as for the chemical smoothing of ABS - yeah, it can be done. I have only tried the "cold" method myself.. soaking paper towels in acetone, attaching them to the sides of a container (i have an old steel pot - used mini magnets to hold the toweling in place), and putting the piece in/under that to let the vapors do their thing.. it does work, but timing is everything.. not long enough, and it doesn't look like anything happened, too long and it is a "melted" mess, LOL. One of those "use in a well ventilated area" kind of things, too.
it is easier to do a little sanding, then brush acetone over the surface to "melt" in the sanding dust.
Acetone also makes a great "glue" when connecting two ABS pieces.