Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Agricultural and Industrial Equipment
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Agricultural and Industrial Equipment A place for your agricultural, industrial, and other heavy equipment builds!

Old 01-22-2018, 06:39 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 14261
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 01-24-2018, 03:03 PM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028

Hahaha, that's great.

George told us at the meet the bucket wasn't digging well enough, and the dump line had too much drag. It didn't want to go back level when out at boom tip

So after getting back to the yard, the old boom snatchblock got hooked to the esco load leveling link.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:16 AM
Another Newbie

The guys were playing around with some more lifting, and remembered to put out cones this time.

Still working on scale accessories. Not sure what else it needs.
Outrigger mats, some cones, and the brass ammo can with a magnet and some tools
Old 02-02-2018, 06:38 PM
Wasting Time'r

Needs rope, zip ties and duct tape......wait, that was my list for last night
Old 02-03-2018, 03:39 AM
Another Newbie

Sounds like a fun night, those 1/16 girls probably better watch out for my spotter and mechanic...

I liked how the modified cones looked in pics, so now they're all drilled, deburred, with black sharpie on bases. I like the 2-tones better than the modern single color, especially on a 1955 machine. No i DON'T want to do tiny little flares or red oil-lanterns

A roll of scale ducktape would be funny. I'm not nearly good enough to make 1/16 zipties yet.

I dunno about rope, but at Indy-Lebanon it was suggested to dye the cables with India Ink thinned with alcohol so it lightly flows in without making it too black.

My dumptruck is going to eventually get some girlie-magazines, and dirty work boots to go along with the driver, thermos, and cigarette packs i already made. Maybe a hard hat, but it's not like old Mike would ever take off the ball cap anyway.

Oh yeah, and knock it off with all that "it'd look more scale if it could finally drive" stuff. I'm still not sure what to do about wheels, adapters, or gearmotors. I really like the tandem dually with singles up front, don't want to go super-singles.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:36 AM
Wasting Time'r

Dunno about lanterns but flares would be reasonably easy yeah? Smooth round toothpick cut to length, dunked in red dye or paint, dip the tip in white

As for old Mike, he'd have a hard hat in the truck but it would be pristine, because he HAS to have it.. don't mean he has to wear it.

And what's the point of a spotter if not for 1/16 girls

Oh and btw......

....does it drive yet?
Old 02-05-2018, 05:39 AM
Another Newbie

George really needed a set of levers for the Michigans air clutches.

George just felt right with my crane skill level while i was building, pretty sure he belongs there now. Once powered I don't know if i'll need a Bruder figure, or another monkey to drive the truck. I could go professional looking, or try to make Ted - the Man in the Yellow Hat...

Sewing straight pins, brass tube soldered to a brass plate under the seat. Crowd, Hoist, Boom, Swing. I couldn't find any in-cab reference pics.

Last edited by frizzen : 02-05-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:24 PM
Another Newbie

Truckmaker made pretty reasonable offer, so i picked up his 1955/56 Nylint "Michigan Shovel" T-24 crane with clamshell, a welded steel boom extension. Faded paint, some rust, broken hook. The boom extension might be a CCSM piece, i can't find much info on the accessories they build for these.

Looks like i'm *really* into cranes now. 2 Michigan T-24s, and a Unit 357

With that much reach, this new one really looks like it may need a jib boom...
Old 03-03-2020, 06:53 PM
Another Newbie

A couple months ago I finally got around to epoxying lead shot into the back of the house about 1/4" deep. Probably in the 1-2 lb range. It helps, but i probably still need to get a thrust bearing, fender washer, screw, drilled&tapped pivot post...

Then reccently some people on the other place were talking about Clamshell buckets again, so i thought why not try to convert a Nylint clamshell bucket, using as much of the stuff removed during conversion of this Nylint. What could it look like if the factory were to have made one more complicated?

This uses the original tip mounted Hoist line pulley moved to the top between the 4 links, brass axle with lifting loop, and a cable guide with a W shape. Then the Boom angle pulley was removed from its bracket and installed with spacers at the bucket fulcrum. The buckets closer line ties off to the top axle, runs below the bucket hinge, then up around the top pulley, to the cable guide and a ring where the Crowd line attaches.

Then i ran a Calming line from one of the buckets links, around a pin on the boom, to a fishing weight. It just needs enough weight to keep the bucket from rotating and tangling the lines, and enough length for the needed travel.

Last edited by frizzen : 03-04-2020 at 03:19 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:03 AM
Another Newbie

Clamshell mk1

Bucket still too light, need practice, need to see if my radio will allow changing modes to switch between Straight and Mixed channels.

Dragline is just easier

Runs well in 'crumb rubber', but my "formerly crawlspace dirt" isn't very uniform. Also needs more rear bucket weight to keep it planted better, or remounting drag chain attachment lower.

Last edited by frizzen : 04-09-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:52 PM
Wasting Time'r

Can you edit that post, the link got mixed up with the text.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:14 PM
Wasting Time'r

Cheers bud, does look fun if not a little tricky to operate or maybe that's just my uncoordinated brains
Old 04-09-2020, 11:05 PM
Another Newbie

A little bit tricky, but if you can drive a Manual Transmission, you'd get it pretty quick.

My right stick is set up as bucket control - hoist vertical, crowd horizontal. You're mostly just working in diagonals. Dig is down / left. Bucket to tip is up / right. Little wiggles up/down or right/left to keep it happy.

Dig - Hoist down until bucket on ground and chains slacken without letting cable go slack, Crowd pull in while lowering Hoist to maintain slack chain (otherwise bucket lifts off ground)

Move bucket to tip - Hoist up while letting Crowd out so bucket stays balanced.

Dump - Rotate over target, position bucket along boom, Crowd line out.

Honestly i have the most trouble with getting my Slew directions confused, it's pretty evident in that video after dumping in truck. I'm staring at boom tip, and i don't get to run my crane often enough.

Although, it is fun to hand the radio to a guy that runs a Hydraulic Excavator, and watch them lose it because it's all about Balance instead of Discrete movements. (Makes me want to try a Cable Excavator...)
Old 04-10-2020, 03:43 AM
Wasting Time'r

I should play with my excavator more, I constantly forget which direction does what. I thought about charging it up and showing Eeva the "noisy, diggy thing" buuuuut I think that might end in tears lol