Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > Pigpen of Miscellany
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Pigpen of Miscellany This is the place to discuss anything you like that does not deal with R/C.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:32 PM
The 4rd prize winner!

Member Number: 990
B/S/T Feedback: (22)
Default Ahh, the good ole days...

Man I miss the good old days when I joined up here. Ha, I'm sure some don't miss me, but I loved coming on here and talking about building, or ruffling feathers. Fantastic outlet.
Where'd everyone go?
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 07-03-2019, 05:37 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 170
B/S/T Feedback: (7)

frikin' facebook

what!! they're not??
Old 07-03-2019, 10:24 PM
I am the Scale 4x4 R/C Grand PooBah!

Member Number: 11
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

It is slow here. Facebook is the main issue.

The times they are a changing!!

Nate
Old 07-03-2019, 11:42 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 378
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Hello Thorsteenster!... I went through the same shock and questions when I checked back in?... Sadly the consensus seems to be facebook as the guys said. I don't have "the face book". I have seen enough about it to know that it's not an indexed resource of knowledge and thus shouldn't be in competition with forums. Some might make a case that their "rc fix" or "this, that and the other thing" is all looked after by FB. All the while staying in contact with friends/family -kind of a "one stop shop" as far as screen time goes. I can't imagine learning much from face book due to it's linear perusal and near impossibility to find 2 day old post you came across yet alone one that scrolled by your eyes months or years ago. That's why its such a great advertising/indocrinating tool. You have to tread the floatsome for the meat of the content.. I can only conclude that the engineers have really done their homework in making it as addictive as possible to be the go to medium for so many
Old 07-05-2019, 02:45 AM
is nice!

Member Number: 4148
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

I miss finding cool stuff on buy sell trade almost everyday.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:53 AM
Electric Monk on a bored horse

Member Number: 185

Ah, the old days. TLT axles and cut-up BFG's. Or a TA02 with gear reduction and 300 spring spacers.

Those of us that haven't gone to bacefook are muttering to ourselves in the basement.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:55 AM
The 4rd prize winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Busted Hotness View Post
Ah, the old days. TLT axles and cut-up BFG's. Or a TA02 with gear reduction and 300 spring spacers.

Those of us that haven't gone to bacefook are muttering to ourselves in the basement.
Yeah, I was thinking last night, scalers then, vs scalers now.
Scalers then weren't always straight axle.

Kinda a shame the growth of the niche. Sure it brings more people in but so much of the DIY and quality builds are gone.
Unless I missed them or over at SBG...

I've been looking through old threads and recalling people, and you know, even with the lack of activity on the forum, many people I check last login are within the past 1-3 months. So even with lack of activity, plenty of old timers still check in from time to time.

I rarely go on "BaceFook" anyway, but I have answered a couple questions in the S4X4RC group
Old 07-05-2019, 05:31 PM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 19557

i do waste a lot of time on that other place, but for real info, or building techniques, etc, NOTHING beats a proper forum dedicated to whatever it is you are interested in.

I got into 3d printing a few years ago, and found a forum for that as well - actually, a couple of them, brand specific ones. Like here, things have really slowed down a lot, but there is still some activity - a few posts a week anyway.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:49 PM
The 4rd prize winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartless View Post
i do waste a lot of time on that other place, but for real info, or building techniques, etc, NOTHING beats a proper forum dedicated to whatever it is you are interested in.

I got into 3d printing a few years ago, and found a forum for that as well - actually, a couple of them, brand specific ones. Like here, things have really slowed down a lot, but there is still some activity - a few posts a week anyway.
Well said! Not just a place to seek answers, but to nurture and grow interest and involvement. I started way more projects than I ever finished, but i always found myself pushed to try something new.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:08 PM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 19557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsteenster View Post
Well said! Not just a place to seek answers, but to nurture and grow interest and involvement. I started way more projects than I ever finished, but i always found myself pushed to try something new.
Indeed! Me, too! =)

Had it not been for the likes of Headquake and 2Beers I would never have tried building the wooden Ford. And with the encouragement of others, it probably would not have gotten as far as it did.
Still not "finished" (probably never will be, since I am not real happy with the shape of the sides) and has turned into a shelf queen, but hey, it was a lot of fun getting it to where it sits. Maybe someday I will revisit it, but for now, I am trying my hand at creating the 3d model version for possible printing - and have picked up the files for the 3d printed jeep as well (parts for it are underway)
Old 07-05-2019, 10:46 PM
'One cannot steal that which is freely given' - Trini2DBone

Member Number: 13990
B/S/T Feedback: (7)

Yeah...same here... miss the ole days on here with all the builds and builders... I cut my teeth here as they say... so I’ll be staying here. I have posted on other forums, but the interest and feedback is just not the same. I’m also on Facebook on a few scratchbuild / custom pages, and while my posts do get a few likes, the feedback is almost non existent.
I have some builds planned / started ... but will be heading upstate to work for the summer, so won’t have anything on them till September.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:22 AM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 378

Stu I have definitely found myself muttering in the basement haha. Paints a great picture of crochity traditionalist.. Maybe we could re-ignight some activity by trying to commit to posting something once a day or so?.. I'm afraid that newbs may never settle and stick around here if it looks abandoned?... Like heartless, I've spent sometime on other forums. In my case Jeep forums, not as a member but as a reader/learner. I absolutely agree the forum format is "the deepest dive" one can get from an interactive base of knowledge. You can scratch the surface with google on "whatever" but to try to become more expert/practised at something specific -a forum may be just what is needed to "search effectively". I feel a tad pessimistic for the algorithm fueled, sacrine filled internet "searches" that seem to draw us in?
Old 07-06-2019, 03:59 AM
Electric Monk on a bored horse

Member Number: 185

I dunno, I have a feeling that even if I could come up with something useful to say, the information would be outdated. Hey, you kids want to know how to narrow up some Tamiya BFGs? They look pretty okay and they're softer than hockey pucks!

Speaking of hockey pucks, I bought some to use as jack pads, and the seller included some "hockey tape". Man, that tape is the bomb.

See? Might as well STFU. Ain't even got anything to say about the Crown Vic. Been treating it like a car, and it's been acting like one. Same for the bike. Stuff that works is great, but kinda boring.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:46 PM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028

Yeah, book of faces drove me out of the local crawler scene.
"Let's start off on the biggest baddest rc rock crawling site in the world, then instead of posting meets over there, we'll make people try to find badly named groups on this other completely unrelated site that we can't just post a url for those groups"

Fine, i get it, ya don't want me to play with you. It was bad enough before when all the comps were at like 0800 saturday after i'd only gotten off work at 0300.

There are more and better crawler parts out now, i just don't care. My trucks make cool paper weights. A couple times i've been able to get someone to want to drive one of them poorly for a battery pack or two.

The 1/14 semi & construction guys in my state at least have meets a couple times a year, i hang out with them instead.

Forums were the big reason i got the real cars i drive, i didn't want something that only has no one that's passionate about them. It sucks when it's only clueless people driving who can't answer questions or help troubleshoot issues.

Anyway, i've got some clouds that need yelled at, then i'll go back to the basement.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:49 AM
Hate RTR cars, these should be banned!!!!

Member Number: 448

I miss those old day as well building with tlt axles and homemade stuff.

My main reason I'm not here much is my declining health and the fact due to that there is not much going on in the hobbyroom right now and in the last 5 years ago or so.

My last project was started in 2016 I think and still not finished (twin turbo hot rod)
I suffer from ME/CFS aka cronical fattigue syndrom, so I simply don't have the spare energy to do rc or anything else most days.
I got the ME diagnosis in 14' and the last year or so I got several more symthoms related to ME and the other stuff I have.
Probl I got it while I was in bed for a long time in 2010.

And if you watch my build history you will notice there is less things happening after 2010.

My rigs still runs TLT/HL axles or SCX10.
I got nothing newer than 2010 ish, but I keep myself updated on the rc news and I do watch Harley Designs, SBG, GCM , Matteo's Rc Movies on youtube.

Due my sickness, my social platform is FB as I don't see my friends that often anymore since most have started a families etc
Some pluss for the FB is connecting with friends, see relevant news for you (you can select what news and stuff you want to see on Facebook you know ;-) if you go to the menu or hook off something you don't want to see..)
But searching on FB can be a nightmare if you don't remember where you did see the thing you are looking for.
And since my hearing is bad, I prefer to message on FB, rather than talking in the phone.

So I miss both my health and the old builds.
But I do try to go to the hobbyroom if I have a good day the cheer me up and do something I like

BTW my 1:1 Capri is also on halt due the lack of energy.
Maybe it will be on the road next year.

And hurrah if you are a long timer that still do this stuff
Some of the members I miss seeing builds from are Rikpal and Pantablo.
I'm a FB friend with Pantablo and he do cycling and raising his kids these days.
One of his kids are a killer static plastic kit builder.
I have nudged Pantablo to get back to build his awesome styrene builds.
I hope he comes back

Richard