Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Monsters, Scale 4X2, & Non scale R/C > Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles This is the place to put your Sand Scorchers, Bajas and other various 2wd offroad R/C's

Old 08-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Just got back into RC

Member Number: 240
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Little Grasshopper

Bought this Tamiya Grasshopper kit on Saturday, started building it on the same night. Nice simple build. Most fun was the painting involved, although I suck at it. Thank you Spoon for the painting tips, or it would have came out a lot more worst than this

Worst part has got to be trying to get the center beadlock piece in the rear tires. Finally after about half a hour of struggling and swearing, I got them in.

Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 08-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Administrator - Professor Spoon! I have Evil Powers, and I teach! Mwuhahaha

Member Number: 16
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

Cool!

no probs on the tips tho...

I ran mine today for the first time... sadly it was a short run, the rears are pretty bald and had no grip on grass, and after a few minutes the gearbox made a clicking sound which then went away, but I know enough not to keep running after a strange noise occurs from the gearbox...

could you LMK how well it runs on grass with fresh padlatraks? only I'm not sure whether to buy new paddles or get hornet style spikes instead?

Old 08-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Just got back into RC

It looks like it's about to rain outside, so I will give you a review on the run tomorrow. I did ran it in the house a bit, I too was surprised at the torque of the 380 motor, I didn't even notice the difference with the 540. Maybe it's because I never got to full speed.

When I was building the kit, I tried mounting a Feigao 200 size brushless motor. The motor fits perfectly, but I didn't have a pinion for it. The stock 380 motor looks like what seems to be 2.5mm pinion shaft. The brushless I had was with 2mm shaft. I am not sure if they make Tamiya pinions in that size.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:20 AM

no you would need an adapter sleeve or pinions with a 2mm centre hole...

anyhoo I did get some tyres, spikes this time...

these are the old baldies it was trying to do donuts with:

and these are the new ones (Hornet rears):

looks a lil different no?

looks pretty aggressive from behind IMO:

I havent yet run it... the heavens opened yesterday and its been raining heavily ever since. but I am charging a batt in case it stays dry in the next day or two so i can give it a test.

funny really... so far out of all the buggies I've run I've never managed to find the kit tyres much use... even my fighter buggy uses a carson aftermarket rear tyre that looks like a wide BFG..

Old 08-18-2006, 11:59 AM

well I've just run it in anger for the first time... its pretty cool actually..

the 380 seems to cope pretty well, and makes good torque, but the top end is much lower than it would be with a 540(bear in mind I run a 540 powered fighter buggy which isnt much more sophisticated than the GH), it is nice nad safe for a beginner tho, cuz it seems quite eager, yet isnt really fast enough to turn hills/ramps into jumps...with the rear spikes understeer is the order of the day, dunno if that would be different with brand new paddles?

it is bouncey in terms of handling, but not seemingly so bad as the fighter buggy/mad bull I suspect at lower speeds its not all that bad...

the runtime is pretty awesome too, I dunno exactly how long, but I'd guess I got 30mins or so from a 2000mah NiCD(peaked at over 2590mah tho). definetly runs longer than a fighter buggy tho.

I canot draw comparison between this and a hornet cuz I dont have a hornet, and I cant compare even to my sandscorcher as I have never run that 1 yet...

Old 08-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Just got back into RC

lol I forgot about the post here. I too have ran the GH outside, I actually like the speed because I am afraid of getting the body scratched My tires are still fine as I haven't been pushing it a lot. Do you know the option pinion for use of 540 motor in the GH? I got a friend in HK, he told me when he tried to search for this part in the HK stores, it was literally "unheard" of. So he end up having to get on from Japan. I am going to check the LHS to see if they have the pinion or could order it. If not, my friend has a spare that I will get off of him.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:42 PM

Tamiya America list it as an 18t pinion:

#9805997 RC 18T Pinion Gear: 58346 - For 540 Motor Price: $3.50

find the list here: its at the bottom of page 2...

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rcp... on=&offset=31

do you find the paddles grip ok on a variety of surfaces?, cuz I still dunno if it was just the fact that the middle of the tread area was bald, or if there is some issue with grip on grass (with paddles) anyway?

the important bit is, its a runner now so I'm happy..

Old 08-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Just got back into RC

I've only run it on pavement, it seems OK, but I wasn't driving too fast either.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Electric Monk on a bored horse

Member Number: 185
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

Spoon, you do have a Hornet, you just don't realize it. Put a 540 in the Hopper and you've got yerself a Hornet. That and the body (and the rear tyres) are the only differences.

BTW, a Hornet with an Epic Binary Stock motor is silly fast
Old 08-18-2006, 07:40 PM
git 'er done!

Member Number: 298

lol! I would assume it would be! idea: hornet with a Dynamite C4 9200 KV motor (mini sized) and a 3 cell lipoly! can you say stupid fast? can you say "makes the serpent drivers jealous"? can you say "self destructs on impact"
Old 08-18-2006, 10:48 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 378

Hey dremelit, don't forget the (maybe again available) "Grasshopper hop up suspension kit" O ring dampers up front and new gear box/chassis mounts that allow side to side movement of the axle and lastly the small rear oil damped shocks. The kit came w. new mounts for the rear dampers that had body posts molded into them along w. a front body post that allowed the hornet body to be mounted ...Sadly - or fortunately for most, this peice of inane drabber will still be slow and coming from me as I've been WAY busy ..... Nice Grasshopper BTW J! reminds me of.....just kidding...and D. your Moke...awesome ...see ya guys for now

...Mark
Old 08-19-2006, 07:47 AM

yeah the rear end of the hornet got upgraded... tho I doubt Tamiya will ressurect the hop-up to change a Gh into a hornet...the hornets rear end can articulate slightly, and also uses oil shocks like those used on the bruiser, the GH only swings up and down, and uses crappy shocks which are little more than springs on the end of some plastic...(alot like stock juggy shocks actually)

I kinda like the GH as it is right now, the top end isnt crazy but I've spent a fair bit of time resurrecting this bodyshell and it has had to be carefully painted white to disguise the bodywork done to it so keeping the speed down is a good idea. thats plus I know how crappy a fighter buggy handles at around 15-20mph so I dont want this to go much faster...(both are fun to drive they just sound amusing trying to put the power down)