Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Monsters, Scale 4X2, & Non scale R/C > Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles This is the place to put your Sand Scorchers, Bajas and other various 2wd offroad R/C's

Old 05-27-2009, 06:31 AM
This Space for Rent

Member Number: 2108
B/S/T Feedback: (15)

Appreciate it chevy55

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 05-27-2009, 07:25 AM
This Space for Rent

Step 18

Assembling Cam-Locks, Installing Receiver On/Off Switch

You are supposed to twist the springs around the cam-locks. The pins in the bottom of mine were a little loose, so I pulled the pins, slid the springs on, then reinstalled the pins. I need to put a little CA on the pins so they dont fall out. There not terribly loose, but loose enough. Receiver switch screws onto the radio box lid.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2009, 07:31 AM
This Space for Rent

Step 19

First plug in servo wires and receiver battery wire into receiver. Then install battery, then cover. You push the cam-locks down, then twist them, and they lock into place. Make sure everything is installed in the box properly before you push down cam-locks. If you force the lid on, you will probably break the plastic around the cam-locks. Last pic, kind of blurry, shows one of the cam locks locked down. Pretty tight fit inside the box. That old battery came with this Scorcher, and it still works perfectly!
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2009, 07:37 AM
This Space for Rent

Step 20

Installing the front piece of the receiver box. Receiver just fits inside this box. Run wires carefully so you dont smash or pinch them. Once receiver is inside box, line up front box with big radio box and screw it on with the 4 screws. Little front box has knotches, big box has tabs, so it only fits one way. Install the screws very carefully so you dont strip out the plastic. You dont have to torque these down super tight. Also, make sure you route receiver wire throught the proper hole in the front of the box. I think I was supposed to do that in Step 19, but forgot to. You can see that once all this stuff is in the radio box, there is no spare room
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2009, 07:46 AM
This Space for Rent

Step 21

Bolting radio box to chassis and hooking up motor wires. Set radio box on chassis, line up holes in bottom of chassis with well nuts in radio box, tighten down the 2 screws. Tighten screws down just enough to flatten well nut, which will then hold radio crate securely to chassis. Dont overtighten or you will bust radio box. Third pic shows how I routed wires out the back. Last 2 pics are too blurry to see, but they are supposed to show how the rubber well nut flattens out and pinches the radio box to chassis.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2009, 07:52 AM
This Space for Rent

Step 21 continued.

Little square thing came with this Scorcher from previous owner. This is how the wires were connected. Pretty neat little thing. No way as efficient as more modern "No Loss" connectors, but its pretty neat old school technology (maybe its not that old, maybe they still make them, I've never seen one before) Anyway, insert the bare wire ends into each side, tighten down the screws, and voila, motor is hooked up. You also hook up the two smaller red wires, which have female spade connectors on them, onto the resistor at this time.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2009, 08:02 AM
This Space for Rent

After this step I decided to test the Scorcher out. Placed it up off the ground on a small box, turned transmitter then receiver on, and problems. Nothing major. The hump back battery had gone flat from sitting on the shelf too long without being charged. It had enough juice to make the servos turn, but not enough to make the motor spin. I also realized I had hooked up the servo wires to the wrong ports on the reciver. When I throttled, front wheels steered, when I steered, MSC moved. Switched receiver wires around, put in a different battery, and voila, worked like a charm. Following pics show a hump back batttery pack I had made. I ordered this battery when I bought a Super Champ because if you build a Super Champ stock, you pretty much have to use this style battery. Pics mainly show the technology advances, 1200mah vs 4500mah. My Super Champ will run for almost an hour off this one battery, and it is using a Mechanic Speed Control. Pretty good battery. Fits inside radio box perfectly as well.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2009, 10:22 AM
This Space for Rent

Step 22

Assembling Tires and Wheels

After test running it, I couldn't wait to get the tires on it and try it out. Pretty simple step.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2009, 12:46 PM
This Space for Rent

Step 23

Bolt tires on. Chassis is now 100% complete. Sorry for the kinda blurry pics, I'll take some better ones and post them up. Just gotta finish the body up now. Thats it for now
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2009, 09:11 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 2823
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Pretty Sweet Buy for sure! Are you going to keep up with the box art as far as paint goes?
Old 06-19-2009, 07:35 AM
This Space for Rent

No Pics yet, Sorry Finished painting the driver, steering wheel, windshield wipers, taillights, and painted all the window surrounds black. I Should now be ready to finish assembling this build, hopefully this weekend. As always, I'll take lots of pics and post them up. Later
Old 06-22-2009, 07:30 AM
This Space for Rent

Been busy working on the 1:1 cj-7, but finally got some Sand Scorcher work done. First two pics show the front body post, Forgot to put it on during Step 23. It slides over the servo saver post and a grub screw holds it down.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2009, 07:34 AM
This Space for Rent

Step 24

Attaching rear exhaust. I painted my exhaust a flat aluminum color, thought it looked better then painting it black like the box shows. Kind of helps it stand out from the black rear cage. Fairly simple, just place the little metal straps around the cage bars, tighten the little screws, make sure its straight, finish tightening, done
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2009, 07:41 AM
This Space for Rent

I had finished detail painting the body last week. I painted all the window surrounds black, and I also painted the rear louver slots black, which is a big pain in the #$%@&*. I also painted the inside base of the rear lights silver, to kind of help the clear orange, red, and clear colors show up better. That is why the back has two silver spots, those two spots are where the rear light covers go.

I thought about painting the front half of each front window silver, to make it look more like an operable side vent window, but decided not to, for now. Maybe later.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2009, 07:44 AM
This Space for Rent

Step 25

This is the real beginning of the "body assembly" steps. Get the glue ready. First pics show all the parts (minus a few screws). I'll kind of break this step into 4 parts. Pics of all the parts
Attached Images