Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Monsters, Scale 4X2, & Non scale R/C > Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles This is the place to put your Sand Scorchers, Bajas and other various 2wd offroad R/C's

Old 11-27-2012, 05:01 AM
Three .001 on every moving part.

Member Number: 2344
B/S/T Feedback: (1)
Default Cox Sidewinder Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcp22 View Post
Thatís so niceÖ
Quote:
Originally Posted by tat2Nick View Post
hey man! ur collection is amazing!!! ive been looking for almost 15 years for a cox scorpion...it was my first rc car and they are so hard to find its crazy! lol if u ever come across one and ur willing to sell please let me know...ive seen a few but none i wanted to buy lol but once again u have a beautiful collection sir
Thanks for the kind words fellas. Appreciate it.

@tat2Nick
Not ready to part with anything yet, sorry. You just have to keep an eye out on ebay. Every once in a while a nice one comes along but they are not cheap. If you are not careful you can end up with a basket case and those can get expensive to restore too. Best of luck to you with your search.

Been busy restoring the Cox Sidewinder here lately. Just finished making a set of (4) custom 1.75 "rear" Fast Attack wheels & tires with chrome CRP wheel covers so the front end turns on bearings and it has the same size tire and wheel on all 4 corners.

New rear drive hubs were also fitted so the rear (which has a posi locker) does not spin the rear wheels on the hubs. The hubs included a tube that shims the axle from3 to 4mm. Special bearing spacers were used to adapt a 3mm bearing on the front end.

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 11-27-2012, 05:05 AM

Along with the Le Mans 360PT motor I also installed a vintage Futaba receiver and transmitter.

The receiver's antenna wire was clipped, broken, and spliced so the wire was replaced with a new one. The wiring was quite a mess so I went through it and made it all the connections secure as per the instruction manual then insulated all the splices so they do not short out. New bullet plugs were installed between the engine and MSC as well. Wrapped a double zip-tie around the steering servo securing it to the tub to make it more secure and eliminate any unwanted servo movement.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:09 AM

Also pictured is a new reproduction body from Team Blue Groove. I was able to remove the original bumper, grille, & headlamp decals and hope to reuse them on the repro shell.

...and there it is.

Thanks for taking a look. - Arco
Old 11-30-2012, 02:17 AM
Posts all the Time'r

Member Number: 16219
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

God work on those wheels and they really goes well on that Sidewinder.
Itís a pity that there are no repro decals available
Old 08-24-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcp22 View Post
God work on those wheels and they really goes well on that Sidewinder.
Itís a pity that there are no repro decals available
@Hcp22
Thanks. Yeah, a decal set for the Sidewinder sure would be nice... *wishing, hoping*

Been collecting a few parts for the Cox Scorpion.
Spent a weekend rebuilding the buggy and making it run.

Took the car apart.

Took the transmission apart.

Removed the bushings from the transmission.

Installed new ball bearings from Boca Bearings.

Installed a new Kyosho Tomahawk gear differntial.

Kyosho Tomahawk differential exploded view.

Lubed the diff using Tamiya Ceramic Grease.

Dropped the new diff into the alloy gearbox.

Differential held in place with new outdrives that were included with the diff.

Reused the original motor plate and backing plate.

Installed a new CRP brass counter gear.

Flanged ball bearing that supports the end of the counter gear shaft gets installed inside of the gearbox.

Counter gear shaft is held in place with the idler gear. Ceramic grease was applied before installation.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 19523

Awesome man love how you do this very instructional. Also had me searching the internet(your builds and mostly your vws).
Also how is the repo team blue groove body have looked at this and not sure of quality.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:35 PM

Default Cox Scorpion transmission upgrade and Kyosho Le Mans motor installation.

@Noobsk8r
Thanks for the kind words. I just try and write it up so I can remember what was done for future reference. As for the Team Blue Groove body shells, they take a bit longer to ship because they are coming from Canada and for the most part they remain faithful to the originals. The material may be slightly thinner but I cannot confirm this. Overall I would say they are a good piece especially considering the price and availability.

Thanks for taking a look. - Arco
Old 08-25-2013, 12:27 AM
just old and not posting just to post

Member Number: 3380

I wonder if any of these older cars would be competitive today?
Old 08-25-2013, 12:52 AM

Old 08-25-2013, 01:11 AM

don't laugh at me but do you have any posts that show how you clean and polish your buggy's and cars
or any one else that has posts that are as nice as your cars
Old 08-26-2013, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpygrady View Post
@grumpygrady
Nope. The old stuff would probably get lapped multiple times. Some tracks do have vintage or nostalgia classes though. During their time, the Kyosho Circuit 1000 Buggies were considered by many to be a top of the line 2 wheel drive buggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpygrady View Post
don't laugh at me but do you have any posts that show how you clean and polish your buggy's and cars
or any one else that has posts that are as nice as your cars
Well, I have a ton of stuff that I use to clean, strip, polish, wash, remove, the years of dirt, grease, grit, & grime. Here in my cabinet I have Goo Gone for the removal of old servo tape and glue residue from old stickers and such. It works very good, even on the oldest dried-up sticker glue.
The Acetone is used carefully (almost never on plastic) to remove super glue residue.

Denatured Alcohol cleans paint over-spray, grease, and fingerprints from Lexan bodies. Again, gotta be careful with the Denatured Alcohol because it will mess-up your decals and any graphics applied to the outside of your body. The Denatured Alcohol works great as a general degreaser on bare aluminum and metal too, but it will eat the chrome off of plastic.
Always test on some scrap before going crazy with the stuff.

I also have a Novus Plastic Polish kit, that works on most types of plastics including Lexan, but a really great Lexan polish is also Mothers Billet Metal Polish for aluminum.
You can wet-sand deep scratches out of lexan a body and the Mothers will buff that thing back clear and fog free no problem.

Castrol Super Clean is the best degreaser I have found. Washes away with soap and water. It contains caustic lye and will eat your skin, so I recommend wearing gloves.
It will also remove paint & chrome from plastic, as well as anodizing from aluminum. If aluminum is left in it too long it will pit and corrode it too.
Always test it on something you don't mind destroying first before dipping your beloved RC parts in or you may find out the hard way what not to do.

To remove stubborn paint from plastic parts I use Dot 3 Brake Fluid. This will eat paint alive so do not put it on anything you don't want attacked. I have stripped entire styrene bodies using the stuff and it does work, but do not leave it there too long, and it will require some mechanical removal (sanding, scraping) to go along with it.
A stiff bristle brush works wells too to help remove the wrinkled paint from hard to reach areas.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcocustom View Post
@grumpygrady
Nope. The old stuff would probably get lapped multiple times. Some tracks do have vintage or nostalgia classes though. During their time, the Kyosho Circuit 1000 Buggies were considered by many to be a top of the line 2 wheel drive buggy.

Well, I have a ton of stuff that I use to clean, strip, polish, wash, remove, the years of dirt, grease, grit, & grime. Here in my cabinet I have Goo Gone for the removal of old servo tape and glue residue from old stickers and such. It works very good, even on the oldest dried-up sticker glue.
The Acetone is used carefully (almost never on plastic) to remove super glue residue.

Denatured Alcohol cleans paint over-spray, grease, and fingerprints from Lexan bodies. Again, gotta be careful with the Denatured Alcohol because it will mess-up your decals and any graphics applied to the outside of your body. The Denatured Alcohol works great as a general degreaser on bare aluminum and metal too, but it will eat the chrome off of plastic.
Always test on some scrap before going crazy with the stuff.

I also have a Novus Plastic Polish kit, that works on most types of plastics including Lexan, but a really great Lexan polish is also Mothers Billet Metal Polish for aluminum.
You can wet-sand deep scratches out of lexan a body and the Mothers will buff that thing back clear and fog free no problem.

Castrol Super Clean is the best degreaser I have found. Washes away with soap and water. It contains caustic lye and will eat your skin, so I recommend wearing gloves.
It will also remove paint & chrome from plastic, as well as anodizing from aluminum. If aluminum is left in it too long it will pit and corrode it too.
Always test it on something you don't mind destroying first before dipping your beloved RC parts in or you may find out the hard way what not to do.

To remove stubborn paint from plastic parts I use Dot 3 Brake Fluid. This will eat paint alive so do not put it on anything you don't want attacked. I have stripped entire styrene bodies using the stuff and it does work, but do not leave it there too long, and it will require some mechanical removal (sanding, scraping) to go along with it.
A stiff bristle brush works wells too to help remove the wrinkled paint from hard to reach areas.

thank you
Old 08-30-2013, 07:07 AM
Posts all the Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcocustom View Post
@Hcp22
Thanks. Yeah, a decal set for the Sidewinder sure would be nice... *wishing, hoping*

[center]Been collecting a few parts for the Cox Scorpion.
Spent a weekend rebuilding the buggy and making it run.

Those MRP front and rear arms are not that easy to find together with the CRP CVDís!
Hopefully repro Sidewinder decals will be for sale sometime this fall.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:15 AM
Posts all the Time'r

BTW: Will you visit VONats in September 13th-15th at Bethel Racearena, Bethel, CT 06801
Old 08-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 12391
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

Always enjoy your vintage threads... Very nice stuff.