Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale On-road R/C > Car Discussion
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Car Discussion Touring cars, Rally Cars, Drifters, whatever!
Talk among yourselves!

Old 01-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Long Tall Texan

Member Number: 965
B/S/T Feedback: (8)
Default Easy 1/12 static model to RC using RC18R

For those of you that asked what I used to make my mustang build take place, here is some helpful info. I will update it as I remember more info.

The first thing I used was a RC18R RC kit. You can use the B or MT kits, but you need to get the 18R suspension arms, driveshafts, and links. The width of the kit works really well because the wheels will be tucked up inside the fenders. to stretch the chassis, all you need to do is cut it. No twin plates or extra stuff to deal with. Also with it being made by Associated, its going to be a good base to start with.

Then you stretch it. I used 1/2" x 1/2" x 1/16" aluminum angle that is mounted to the composite chassis and fastened with 2-56 screws. I determined last night that it would be best if you cut one leg of the angle to the same height of the composite chassis. The factory chassis is plenty stiff and when you mount the body to the chassis, the body will act like a guset to the chassis. If you want an interior, you will need to remove the posts that hold the battery in place and the upper chassis stiffener. You will also need to stretch the driveshaft. I'm not sure on the size of brass tubing I used, but its made by K&S and I found it at hobby lobby. That means you can find it just about everywhere. After I cut and stretched the chassis, I cut the driveshaft in the middle. I measured the the shaft end to shaft end (nub to nub) and cut a piece of tubing to fit. I cut some grooves in the shafts, put epoxy in both ends of the brass tubing, and inserted the shafts into the brass tube.

NOTE: I inserted the rear driveshaft in the rear diff while it was attached to the rear of the chassis. I had the front diff carrier removed from the chassis. After I assembled the shaft pieces and brass tubing, I put the front part of the now lengthened shaft, and then bolted the front gearcase back on the chassis and let the epoxy dry while it was mated to the front and rear diffs. The tight tubing over the shaft, along with the epoxy created internal pressure in the tube and causing the shaft ends to push out. Drilling a hole in the middle of the brass tubing will eliminate this issue by allowing air pressure to release.

I used two chassis plates for this version.

You will need 12mm hexes to mount your wheels and these 1/16 Revo hexes work well.

Wheels- You can use many types of wheels for the 1/12 bodies and I found that the mini size wheels work best.

Tires- I have used HPI X pattern tires and Tamiya mini tires

That's pretty much it. I used a Monogram 1/12 Camaro, along with KingCobra in the past and the Mustang build is a Wen-Mac. I bought mine off of eBay for around $50.

Here are a couple examples

My never finished Sunoco Camaro with Tamiya Mini Cooper wheels and X pattern tires.

Never started Monogram '57 Chevy with HPI 5 Star wheels and X pattern tires.

Wen-Mac Mustang with Mini Cooper wheels and Tamiya mini tires

I hope this will help you out if you decide to convert a 1/12 model kit to RC.

Harry

Last edited by Bullitt : 01-21-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 01-20-2013, 04:18 PM

Member Number: 14350
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Like like like like like...............

L.R.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:44 AM
Booze then Build. Your Ideas are always better.

Member Number: 388
B/S/T Feedback: (15)

Looking good!!!!
We Salute You!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:42 AM
Where did I go?

Member Number: 13899
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

1.55 Rc4wd rims could well be worth mentioning for this scale too yea? not sure on tires tho. maybe the Xpatterns could fit the beadlocks?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Everybody Needs Rock N Roll

Member Number: 4514
B/S/T Feedback: (45)

Nice Harry, love the info! I now know how I'm going to finish my Bel Air and get it done this time!!
Old 01-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Long Tall Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
1.55 Rc4wd rims could well be worth mentioning for this scale too yea? not sure on tires tho. maybe the Xpatterns could fit the beadlocks?
I am not sure. I think the 1.55s are more offset than the mini wheels which would cause the tires to rub the fenders. Also, the RC18R axle stubs are 3mm whereas standard axle stubs are 4mm. The cross pin is much smaller as well. This is the reason for using the 1/16 Revo hexes.

Harry
Old 01-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Where did I go?

Member Number: 13899
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

ok, honestly didnt know that^^
Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Long Tall Texan

Not a problem. That's why I made this info thread

Harry
Old 01-21-2013, 09:33 PM
Captain Scale

Member Number: 870
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

Love it, wonder if that size wheel and tire would be good for small 1:10 scale trailer wheels? Hmmm...
Old 01-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Long Tall Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain scale View Post
Love it, wonder if that size wheel and tire would be good for small 1:10 scale trailer wheels? Hmmm...
I have always thought that the SRB buggy front tires and wheels would be perfect for a 1/10 trailer.

Harry
Old 07-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Posts all the Time'r

Member Number: 11698
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Has anyone tried to convert the new 1/12 revell ford gt500 kit?

I am building a scale juggernaut f350 dually and want something equally scale to pull (and I think it should be a ford)!
Can anyone tell me if the 1/12 revell would look right with this chassis design?
And will it look scale correct next to my tamiya f350 1/10 body (if someone can confirm the tamiya f350 body is more like 1/12?)

I hope the scale between these two bodies it really close! Maybe someone with some experience can chime in!

Thanks for the input!
Ryan
Old 07-24-2013, 12:12 AM
Long Tall Texan

Ryan,
According to Tower, the Shelby is 6-1/4" wide and 15-9/16" long
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAPDD&P=ML
The F350 body is 6-1/2" wide and 17-13/16" long
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPMC5&P=7

That being said, I think this is a no brainier and it's time to build. Also, the Clod body and '69 Camaro bodies are very close to the same scale as well.

Harry
Old 07-24-2013, 12:27 AM
Posts all the Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Ryan,
According to Tower, the Shelby is 6-1/4" wide and 15-9/16" long
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAPDD&P=ML
The F350 body is 6-1/2" wide and 17-13/16" long
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPMC5&P=7

That being said, I think this is a no brainier and it's time to build. Also, the Clod body and '69 Camaro bodies are very close to the same scale as well.

Harry

So the camaro is closer to a 1/10 scale? Would the 59' vette look better with the clod body or the f350?

Do you have any pictures of the ford gt500 with this chassis combo?
I also just want to make sure the wheels still fit under this body, with the associated 18R.

Do you have to use the mini wheels or would any hpi 1.9mm wheel work (or will they look too big?)

Thanks for your help!
Ryan
Old 07-24-2013, 08:35 AM
Long Tall Texan

Ryan,
The Clod body is closer to 1/11 than 1/10 scale and I believe it is around 7" wide. As far as what looks better is all on you. I have only seen the Shelby in the box and have no idea what it would be like over the 18R chassis. Sorry. Also, the 1.9's would be way too big and you should stick with the mini wheels if you want to keep the scale proportions.

Harry
Old 07-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Posts all the Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Ryan,
The Clod body is closer to 1/11 than 1/10 scale and I believe it is around 7" wide. As far as what looks better is all on you. I have only seen the Shelby in the box and have no idea what it would be like over the 18R chassis. Sorry. Also, the 1.9's would be way too big and you should stick with the mini wheels if you want to keep the scale proportions.

Harry

Thanks for your help!

I compared the dimensions for the tamiya alfa gta and the revell gt500 and they are about the same size! Width is the same, mustang is slightly taller, and slightly longer.

I think it should look alright because I have the tamiya gta kit and sitting next to the ford dually it looks a little big!
However the tamiya alfa gta body seems to be a bit larger then the 1:1, when compared to the f350 body. I have a 1:1 alfa gtv (same basic car, only difference is the gta is an aluminum body car and has a twin spark straight 4, the gtv has a single spark straight 4 and steel bodied, yes my tamiya kit was modeled after my 1:1!). This is why I feel the tamiya alfa kit must be a little larger because I parked next to a ford crew cab the other week and the 1:1 alfa looked puny next to the ford! Tamiya scaled the alfa different from the f350 because the gta model looks fairly large sitting side by side. (this is why I think the mustang will look scale with the f350 because the 1:1 mustang is much larger then the 1:1 alfa, but the revell 1/12 is the same size as the tamiya 1/10 kit).

Let me know if you don't follow, but keep your fingers cross it looks close enough!

Do you know how the monogram 1/12 53" corvette looks with any of the tamiya truck bodies, seems a bit small compared to the tamiya f350?
I will order the revell gt500 kit in a couple weeks when I am back from vacation and in the country. Ill keep you guys posted but I wont have anything for a while!

Thanks
Ryan