Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > General R/C Banter
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

General R/C Banter If you have general question that does not fit in the other categories enter it here!

Old 05-23-2019, 02:35 PM
I WILL Hijack & De-Rail your thread into uselessness!

Member Number: 128
B/S/T Feedback: (6)
Default A couple HG 407 issues you should know!

Wowza! 1st post in a while! I had to score an HG 407 kit (Bruiser Clone,) and while it's GREAT for the money, I've noticed a couple things that others have not mentioned in reading up about it, so thought I'd pass 'em on. Most notably, the 3 planetary gears that go in that little module in the front of the tranny (The motor spins a big gear which spins these 3 smaller gears) have a SERIOUS prob: The bearings fit fine on the face-up side, but on the underside they just flop around as the bore is much too large! This will eat those gears like nobody's business, so I ordered the Tamiya Bruiser tree with those gears, which should fix that prob- I'll post in a couple days to verify. The bore is an odd size, no idea why, but it seems no metric bearing will fit, or SAE either- Very odd. So, check yours, just to be safe.

The other is that the wheels do not line uo with the wheelwells, so the rear axle must be slid back. If you take the white leaf-spring & shock mount piece and grind more room for the leaf-spring screw head, you can slide the axles back on the springs enough to make it perfect. The link bars still fit, but not as much as original so it's up to you about those.

Just tryin' to help All, Chris REC

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 05-24-2019, 11:48 AM

The Tamiya gears were much better, but still a lil' floppy on the backside. So, not a dire necessity, I guess it works since Bruisers do not have a rep for eating gears.

I have a real Love/hate relationship with this truck: Got it built, and doing so to my standards required a LOT of fiddling, improving, parts swapping, tapping holes, and general PITA stuff. But, now that it's done, I love it- Can't believe it's sitting there! I have had an original Bruiser in parts that was acquired in '91 or so for $75, just have never revived it: Now I think I shall! These are, in my opinion, some of the worst tongue-in-cheek engineering I've seen in an RC: But the final product is SO cool at the same time.....

On to paint! Chris REC
Old 05-24-2019, 01:19 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 378
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Wowza Chris!.. I have been eyeing those up myself.. It has been a while that you posted a build. Probably your Scorcher? Good to know about the gears as I was contemplating the rtr and likely wouldn't preemptively discover the bearing issue... Any plans for the paint job?

Mark
Old 05-24-2019, 01:49 PM

Yup, been guilty of not posting much for a LONG time: I have not defected to fbook or such, just no real builds worth posting.

You can NOT go wrong with this truck for the money. I am picky as ***** about everything so a bit more critical, but it's all fixable (Except the shocks, hey, they are what they are.) But use 3 wraps of white plumber's tape & no leak no more. By the way, do NOT put the oily shock boots in paint thinner to clean 'em! Mine swelled up to 3 times original size, no joke! I put 'em in the oven to sweat the thinner out of the 'Rubber', and only succeeded in creating a smell that got me chewed out when She Who Must Be Obeyed woke up.

I got the kit, and took apart everything already assembled (It's a kit: Why are they assembled?) One diff had a gear that was over .5 mm. longer than the rest: Shaved it, then you MUST put them in a drill or such & LIGHTLY chamfer the ends or you'll never get it back together- You'll see when you have it in-hand. The tranny, except for those gears: It did not have a couple spacers that the instructions say to try, so I dug some up, then hadda tear 'em back out: Just clean & re-lube everything and it works fine.

The bearings are, seriously, LOUSY. I'd check ahead of time & replace the lot, I did even though it'll be a shelf Queen: they're that bad.

I'm real happy I slid the rear axle back- It looks correct now. I am thinking of using a couple awesome items for the body- A sweet CNC'd Styrene drop-bed kit and a very nice topper shell/camper unit with tinted glass made the same way for max realism. Who made those Super- Cool products again? Oh wait! It was ME!

It'll be a nice one-or two-color job paintwise. I also used a couple of my original License Plate kits that have HG-407 as the plate number so no one thinks I'm trying to pass it off as a real Bruiser. I may do a thread on it.

I am wondering if the drop-bed kits and/or topper kits might be a good idea to re-pop? maybe if I get good feedback......Anyway, just go score one before prices go up, or you'll kick yourself! Chris REC

Last edited by toyranosaur : 05-24-2019 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Neglected to input info that is so critical its omission could cause loss of life.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:44 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 170
B/S/T Feedback: (7)

i've got one myself and it's been fun. there's sum weird clicking noises from the rear end now, but that could be from pulling wheelies!

soooooo when will we see some REC branded HG parts...

what!! they're not??
Old 05-24-2019, 04:01 PM

I dunno, seems the bed & topper would be the only possible candidates. Or maybe a kit to ease assembly of the HG 407: It would have thread lock, bearings, some tissues, a 3mm. x .05 tap, single-malt Scotch, a Toyota logo in WHITE, a hammer, a curse jar that would easily pay for the truck when you're done, screw de-rusting fluid, a bed kit and some Band-Aids.

Always open to thoughts, if it needs somethin' that ain't available yet....Chris REC
Old 05-24-2019, 11:15 PM
I am the Scale 4x4 R/C Grand PooBah!

Member Number: 11
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

Good to hear Chris. I picked up a couple of the RTRs this winter, along with some bruiser decals, and new bearings. Now I just need to take them all the way apart, replace the bearings and paint the rigs.

Nothing but time, right?

Have a great one.

Nate
Old 05-25-2019, 11:39 AM
I build Lowriders

Member Number: 1386
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

I might pick one up to build a new scale truck or a new rat. It's a super cool kit for the money.

"When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."
Old 05-26-2019, 02:19 PM

Started on the bed kit & topper shell. Everything looks to be a go, I may make an extension piece for the kit's half-cab so it goes to the bed floor.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2019, 12:19 PM

Stock bed cutout: It is a pain! But you have to get to the last little bit of 'level' plastic to glue in the bed.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2019, 11:24 PM

We need more. Keep it coming!!

Nate
Old 05-30-2019, 02:45 AM

It's these awesum parts that make me look interesting! ` Really, the bed kit IS a bit of a pain- The kit is very simple, but not quite 'Easy'. But, I got the inner fenders saned & installed & it'll get glued in tomorrow- I'll pop a couple pics. Gotta use Girly's phone as I still use a clamshell (& damn proud of it for some reason.)

I'll end up with 3 looks- Bed only, kit half-cab & topper. Bed tomorrow-ish, topper soon after. It'd help if I'd decide on paint so I can properly finish the topper. Might hafta score another body! Chris REC
Old 05-31-2019, 04:09 AM
Rollin' in the winnie

Member Number: 4269
B/S/T Feedback: (26)

They are awesome trucks for the money. Especially compared to actual bruiser prices. My only issue has been losing gear teeth on the 4wd shaft in the transmission
But I put some bigger tires on mine. Period correct imex all-t dawgs.
I cut the solid windows out on my topper and used brown plastic from dads root beer bottle for the windows.
Count me in on a drop bed kit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2019, 05:28 AM

Correct 'Period' tires would be, like, Duratrax Scalers, wouldn't they? I'm thinkin' of those for my truck.

The bed kit, I'm just doing one & whilst simple, they ain't exactly Easy! I have tools I made to help with such plastic projects, and pity anyone who don't have 'em. One allows me to repeatedly score along an edge to cut the bed out: I'll hafta include a tool or how to make one or sumpin', that's the hardest part. Entirely possible to include something to hold a blade, I'm thinkin'....

The little piece of plastic with the profile to sand the fender wells was inspired though, works a treat! A different order of assembly would make it easier, too. So, IF I do 'em they'll be a tad easier to do- I know watching mine come together is really nifty, and WELL worth the work!

They are on sale-RTR even- for $199.99 &* $2.99 shipping on Bangood 'til the 10th! USA shipped so 3-8 business days, just FYI for you chaps on the fence. I am considering....

https://www.banggood.com/HG-P407-2_4..._warehouse=USA

Dug up a couple of my old goodies & an vintage winch for it...Chris REC
Old 06-01-2019, 12:39 AM

The crazy part for me is I bought two of the RTRs (one for me and one for boy) and have not pulled them out of the box. I have bearing kits, bruiser decals, and replacement servos ready to go. Then a friend came to me and asked if I wanted to trade a rig for a tamiya bruiser and so I ended up with re-release bruiser was well. Now I just need to get at least 2 or the 3 up and running.

Nate