Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Big Rigs, Multi axle, & Tracked Vehicles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Big Rigs, Multi axle, & Tracked Vehicles The place for "Semi" talk!
Tamiya and Wedico Tractor trailers!
Tamiya and other brand R/C Tanks and Tracked vehicles. And any vehicle with more than 2 axles; 6x6, 8x8, 10x10, etc!

Old 07-02-2019, 08:54 AM
Styrene apprentice

Member Number: 5663
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
If the windows aren't wanting to play nicely, maybe replace with some 0.020 to 0.040" clear lexan?
The original windows are shaped to fill the inside of the window frame instead of sitting behind it like a flat piece of lexan would do, but going with that might still be better overall if they all look the same. I'll try to come up with a way to mount them without permanent glue so I can test different setups.

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 07-03-2019, 02:47 PM
Styrene apprentice

Trust nothing, test everything, and even if you tested it, something will ruin your day anyway. A pen I used to draw up the door panel lines is now bleeding into the final coat of glossy clear. Even the red Tamiya paint is bleeding a bit because I went way too heavy on the clear trying to get a smooth finish.

To be clear for the accident report: The pen lines are bleeding because I didn't test it with the clear coat. The red is bleeding because I significantly overdosed it with solvents from the clear coat.

Last edited by Wombii : 07-03-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:17 PM
Styrene apprentice

Looks like the ink floated to the top of the clear coat, so most of it could be removed with light sanding. The red paint is deeper, so I might have to live with that small flaw.

Mirror mounted reverse lights (?)
Warm white 3528 LED glued to transparent plastic inserted into a 6.3mm outside width square styrene tube. Inside filled with more glue and a 2mm thick piece of styrene glued to the back. Mounted to the mirror with a piece of a paper clip. The wires are harvested from a broken HDMI cable. They're very thin, feels like about half the size of the 28awg wire I've used for the other lights, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to crimp connectors to them.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:41 AM
Styrene apprentice

Milestone: All cab lights wired up for the first time.

Connections for cab dome lights and visor lights.

Sure, I could cut the wires shorter, but then I wouldn't actually be able to get my hand in under the cab to connect them.

It works! Does it look okay with the rear side window rolled down a bit? Should I cut it down lower?
Old 07-13-2019, 07:32 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 14261

Firemen are such shiny happy people

I think the window looks fine, maybe run with it until you convince yourself either way about it.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:30 PM
Styrene apprentice

Minor update.
Did a very rough trimming of the inner rear rims and painted them black so they look more like brake drums.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:05 AM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028

I think the window looks great. He's hot, but won't be in the truck THAT long to bother dropping it more.

Cool idea on the brake drums
Old 07-31-2019, 04:33 PM
Styrene apprentice

Some clips from the first test of the roof monitor and pump mounted on the truck. Seems to be sucking air somewhere, possibly the filter on the supply side. Nozzle also needs some work.
The pump is currently drinking about 2.5 liters per minute.

edit: if you're as easily entertained by flashing lights as I am, here's a minute of flashing blue lights:
Old 07-31-2019, 10:09 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 14261

Aside from the possibility of air leak, that works extremely well I'd say. Is it the apprentice fire-fighters job to roll out the plastic at the scene each time?

Just teasing, good thinking to help protect against accidental soaking.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:11 PM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028

That so cool, i'm glad it's coming together. Yay flashy lights!!!

What size is the orifice on the water nozzle? To me it's looking like rather than air, you're seeing the pressure pulses from the pump impeller. Making me think you either don't have enough line acting like accumulator, or the exit hole is too big to be a 'squirt gun'.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:19 PM
Styrene apprentice

Good observations. It's a combination. The first clips are careful testing with low speed on the pump which gives a lot of pulsing from the diaphragm pump. There was also a lot of air bubbles coming through the lines, most likely originating with the gas filter it was sucking water through to protect the pump. The last part of the video is full speed with the air issue mostly under control. I think I'd try going with a pair of gear pumps next build, but the pulsing is okay at high speed. If I remember correctly, the nozzle hole is 1 or 1,5mm with a cone shape to break up the stream. The inner nozzle is inside a larger 6mm (?) pipe to then guide the stream into a narrower shape. I'm not done experimenting, but this seems like the way to get something resembling a scale stream. I tried going narrower on the orifice to force more of a vaporisation effect, but kept blowing out the connections because of the pressure.

Edit: my design based on the design described on page 3 in the pdf brochure for the rm60c linked in the opening post. On the real thing the outer pipe can slide back to let it spray wide or slide forwards to force the spray down to a narrow jet. I wanted to try that, but there's no room for the servo or mechanics. It does sort of work if I adjust it manually though.
https://www.veljeksetkulmala.fi/uplo...i.original.pdf.
It really is quite difficult to make water behave properly in small scales. I never appreciated the precision required in simple things like shower heads or garden hose nozzles until I tried to make a nozzle myself.

another edit:
When I thought I was really clever and made mounting pins for the steps and the mirror lights from paperclips I forgot to think ahead. Those paperclips I used are carbon steel and will of course rust pretty fast. Especially when there's a big water sprayer on the roof.

Last edited by Wombii : 08-17-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:35 PM

Member Number: 28889

The "minute of blinkie lights" is truly epic. Also, my wife saw it and said "You are not alone!" Sometimes I wonder if I built my Cross HC6 just so I could load it up with lights =))

If you haven't looked at them, check out Adafruit's Neopixels (WS2812/etc) addressable LED's. They come in strings and panels and individual units but only require one data pin, so they save you having to use an Arduino Mega -- I got away with a Nano to do headlights, turn signals, backup and brake lights, and the requisite light bar:

Old 08-30-2019, 06:23 PM
Styrene apprentice

That's a great implementation of the WS2812 LEDs! Would love to see more of the mounting and wiring behind it.

I've looked into them a bit, but I wanted to use a lot of different types and sizes of LEDs in this project, and I wasn't sure how the timing would play with the SBUS and servo libraries, so it seemed safer to go the standard route. I also looked into using some TI LED driver chips, but I also needed a lot of inputs and more than one serial port, so it seemed easier to go with the Mega. I would love to try them out in the future though, perhaps with an ESP32. It would be nice to be able to fine tune the color temps on the go.

As a small update to the thread:
Here's the current reference sheet for the lights and resistors. You'll have to click to go to the full size view.

Last edited by Wombii : 08-30-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:40 PM

Member Number: 28889

Oh yeah, forgot about additional libraries. I had a devil of a time trying to get interrupt-based sound code to coexist with all the other things I had going on. Ended up just adding a ProMini clone to do the sound and doing all the lights and other stuff on the Nano.

For the 2812's, wiring is easy. Three pins, ground, hot, data. With this few LED's (18) and patterns that ensure they're not always on, they can even run off the Arduino proper (with lots of them or higher duty cycle, you should use an external power source.)

Mounting worked well as this set is a flexible strip. It's just bent around the light bar frame and glued in place. As I have no styrene skills atm, the lightbar is 3D printed. Hard to describe, but I guess you'd say I took a solid bar and cut out slots on the front, back and ends for the LED strip to lay into. The inside is also hollow and then there's a hole where the strip begins/ends for the wires to go.

And apparently I can only take bad pictures, lighting in here is atrocious.

On the back you can see where the strip joins and then the wires fold in. There's a capacitor inside to keep the power stable, and then the wires go down through some expandable plastic tubing stuff.

Anyway, don't mean to take away from your build, far more industrious and realistic than mine, but always good to see (1) more blinky lights and (2) more Arduinos!

-- A
Old 09-14-2019, 03:07 PM
Styrene apprentice

Thank you for the description and photos. They seem very suitable for a lot of applications, like taillight clusters and long strips of side markers.

-----

Working on the water tank. It's made from 1mm styrene and comfortably holds about a half gallon / 2 liters of water. The bottom is sloped to help the last bits of water find its way to the pump.

I want a large opening for maintenance access. Using a 2mm plate for the lid. I hope I'll be able to make it somewhat water tight.

The water level sensor drops down through a hole in the top. 5 wires connected directly to an arduino with its pins configured as INPUT_PULLUP. When the water reaches a powered sense wire a connection is made to ground and the arduino does whatever it needs to do.

Here it is in the truck. The plan is to add another tube to the top that will let air in and out, and a tube somewhere for the fill/drain pump.

Video of sensor, tank level lights and telemetry: