Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale On-road R/C > Car Discussion
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Car Discussion Touring cars, Rally Cars, Drifters, whatever!
Talk among yourselves!

Old 12-09-2017, 04:28 AM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default 2001 Subaru Impreza WRC - 1/16

Thanks to a friend on another forum, i was able to get a hold of an Australian market, made in China "Eztec" brand Corded-remote control 1/15 scale - - 2001 Monte Carlo, Group A, Rally Car Subaru Impreza!

Beautiful body of a Bug-eye Impreza, totally junk guts. A bit more detail would be nice, but that makes it more fragile.

I started by gutting the stock steering garbage. After playing with a couple ideas i settled on flipping the stock steering Drag Link over so the pin faces up, cross drilled the base of the pin with micro drill, and slid a sewing straight pin in. I stuck a spectrum spms401 micro servo on the steering top plate with double-side tape. A little slop, though less there than at the wheels/knuckles, also the straight pin is a cheap easily replaced fuse to save my servo.

I flipped the motor so the contacts are up, 3 gear 'transaxle' already has lube. Steering motor is the same as drive, so i can smoke 2 of these before i have to buy a better one. Alright. Lets drop an esc that was already prepped for the Fiero in there, and grab the radio off my VW Bus.

Dropped a 1500 mah 2/3A pack into it, and this thing is pretty quick. Also it has just hard enough tires it can do donuts and hopefully with practice drift nicely on my hardwood floors. Yeah!

This is a hardbody pan car, 4 screws every time to change the battery will suck!
Run the 4 body mount screws to full depth. File lower side of chassis hole until a rare-earth magnet fits, Goop/ShoeGoo magnet into chassis.
If i wanted a lowered car, i could trim the body screw posts and fine tune the height with tighter/looser screws without changing anything else.
It's a Rally car. I like Special Stages. So let's bring the rear up a little more.

Against the wall.

It's 1/15 scale, so it's going to play with Semi trucks at meets, and some light on-road bashing. Probably mostly staying at 'city speeds' instead of 4wheel drifts at 100mph between spectators. I can't expect miricles out of it, shipping it here cost 3 times more than the car..
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 12-10-2017, 07:57 AM
Lack of Time'r

Member Number: 7805

Hi
Very nice model ! Nikko does the same on this scale I think !

your collection is growing day by day ! I like this scale too,because there is some models available,include models kits like ,amt,revell,mpc,monogram..
I have also collected some models for several weeks

Old 12-10-2017, 05:31 PM
Another Newbie

Thanks! When he posted a de-stickered version of this car in the background of a pic i derailed his whole build thread about it. Then when i saw it was actually the factory Group A rally livery, i needed it.

That's a nice looking fleet you've got going on, fast-furious cars? Whats the semi?

After i raised the body a little more to even out the wheelwell gaps at Special Stage height, I realized it needed skidplates. So i added some aluminum speedtape to the bottom of the chassis. Mimimal weight, shiny raw aluminum molded over the bottom.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Lack of Time'r

Member Number: 7805

Hi
Thanks ! this is a picture of my Nikko subaru that I think is the same size as yours ? (mine is about 27 cm long)

Yes mustang and charger are fast and furious cars !
I have also collected other vehicles at 1/16 scale : fastlane late model of mustang and challenger,new bright olds 442 hitari gmc a team van and nikko toyota hilux
the red truck is a chinese toys manufactered by "hua peng" I have found it on a bargain here in France
Hua peng also made a few years ago a 1/14 trucks clones of the tamiya king hauler and globe liner but they are hard to find now
mine is close to 1/16 probably like this in size of this found on ebay
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/RC-Truck-1-16...53.m1438.l2649
Old 12-14-2017, 12:19 AM
Another Newbie

That's a nice looking body, and it has the rest of the stickers mine doesn't. Can't wait to see your build thread on that one!

Chassis access was taken care of with the 4 magnets set into the bottom of the chassis, they hold onto the 4 original body mount screws. They hold nicely, but release without a fight.

Aluminum speed-tape skidpans and diff guard. It looked too naked for rally.

So now i can change the ride height by adjusting the screws. Which means i lifted it to here.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:07 AM
Another Newbie

I pulled the steer axle apart and increased my steering throw even more. Getting more lock really helps it recover from going sideways.

Anybody up for some Ice / Snow racing...

Didn't go too well, but the pics look pretty good. Hot tires kept just melting into the snow, and really didn't hook up for anything.

In it's natural habitat...

Old 12-16-2018, 05:57 PM
Another Newbie

So what makes Rally cars better?

More lights!

5mm whites in the projectors
3mm yellow markers

Nothing at all in the back, not yet feeling up to making taillight lenses and buckets
(It might even get a special stage hood mounted light-pod before tail lights)
Old 12-17-2018, 08:40 PM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 20276
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Very nice! I have a soft spot for the bugeye, I owned one for 13 years, had to sell it last year, floor and rocker was rusted out completely... The body looks nicely detailed, and it looks awesome on that wood bridge, I can imagine it at full speed on that slope and jumping on that bridge hahaha The only thing that kind of looks odd is how the wheels are a bit too sunk inside the fenders, but that might be a bit hard to modify. Still looks great as it is though!
Old 12-17-2018, 11:50 PM
Another Newbie

That's awesome! I'm glad a prior owner approves of the body. Sorry to hear yours rusted out. Since i saw one back in highschool I've wanted a real Bug-eye, but after watching too many rally videos was afraid it'd be a bit of a 'never meet your heros' thing.

Yeah you're right. The wheels are a little short, and should be pushed out for more track width. The rear would be easy to move out. The fronts would either have a huge swing radius with adding wheel spacers, or i'd have to cut & reposition all the chassis mounts.