Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale On-road R/C > Car Discussion
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Car Discussion Touring cars, Rally Cars, Drifters, whatever!
Talk among yourselves!

Old 02-09-2019, 10:57 AM
'One cannot steal that which is freely given' - Trini2DBone

Member Number: 13990
B/S/T Feedback: (7)
Default Triniís Old Holden Shed !

Hey guys! I read on the interwebs that Holden (GMH), GM’s Australian Division, has stopped all production a year or two ago. The reasons being finances etc as a result of poor sales. Don’t know why they never considered making a retro-styled Monaro and a Sandman PanelVan, much like Ford’s Mustang, GM’s Camaro and Dodge’s Challenger... !
Anywho, Holdens may no longer be in production over there, but not in my neck ‘o the woods they ain’t! Lol
As stated in the Sandman thread, I want to attempt to build every variation of the HQ and HX body styles! So that will mean a Panel Van, a Ute, a Station Wagon, a One Tonner and a Monaro Coupe in both the standard HQ style and then the Premier (twin headlight) style! Same for the HX, so I count 20 vehicles in total...
and for those who think I’m nuts, I went off the deep end long ago...lol.. and you can all blame 2Beers for this when he said this (post #61 in the Sandman thread!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Beers View Post
Holy smokes..."Wow" on the fit and the lines. Another great piece added that makes it all come together. Looking good. More please.
I still can't believe this is your first scratch build body. Looking forward to seeing you do some more of these already.
Lol...I’m joking buddy... not really your fault...always been an old Holden nut since I used to own one!

Anywho...I will probably use this thread for building parts, then start a new thread for assembling the various body styles...!

So first

I had to revise the HQ Nose panel that I started last year, the headlight surrounds were off, and then I also got the bumper built and just started to get the details like indicator light holes in.. once I get the HQ nose where I want it I will be making a cast of it and then modding said cast to the Premier version.
The HX Premier version nose shown here, is a cast of the HX nose (off the Sandman) that has been modded! Still need to do some tidying up on it then will make a mold of it and run off some casts!

Anywho... here’s a few pics of where it’s at ... watcha think?

B1929D91-ACF4-422E-B47C-7D10B23D3EBA by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

77879CE2-4A35-4D3B-8845-AA9139B243CC by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

987B0ACD-F36C-4AC5-B087-665C58202EB9 by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

7139FD85-4BE3-40BB-B9C5-A8051596F63E by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

6422B794-50B6-4E05-81D4-38D1727A4834 by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

825736DC-F701-4117-B2ED-5070A9BA56B2 by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

A2531B70-A419-4DC0-A0C7-70254C7C6B98 by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

B19FC8EF-E27F-42E2-9A3C-AA1B1E97C727 by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

Last edited by Trini2DBone : 06-27-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 02-09-2019, 11:29 AM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 20276
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Yťťťť! Awesome to hear that I feel like I just heard my favorite series is doing like 10 more seasons of awesome lol! That hq front looks awesome, These on road versions are going to be completely off the charts awesome! The hq grille makes me think of Kranky, the supercharged hoodles fire burnouts machine haha (you can google that if you don’ Remember seeing it!)

Pretty excited about the one tonner too! Looks like the more you have parts made the more you can mold and mod instead of completemy scratch building, that helps in parts consistency too I guess! Not having to worry the parts will fit each other.

I’m sitting eagerly waiting for the next episode!
Old 02-09-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederik View Post
Yťťťť! Awesome to hear that I feel like I just heard my favorite series is doing like 10 more seasons of awesome lol! That hq front looks awesome, These on road versions are going to be completely off the charts awesome! The hq grille makes me think of Kranky, the supercharged hoodles fire burnouts machine haha (you can google that if you doní Remember seeing it!)

Pretty excited about the one tonner too! Looks like the more you have parts made the more you can mold and mod instead of completemy scratch building, that helps in parts consistency too I guess! Not having to worry the parts will fit each other.

Iím sitting eagerly waiting for the next episode!
Lol...thanks Fred ! Yep..I remember Kranky! It is an HQ as well lol! Yep...exactly...so while it may sound like a daunting task to build all 20 of them, with the molds, I can easily replicate them and all the molded parts will fit the same! Once I have everything that I need casted up, the way I see it, I will be be mostly cutting body panels and assembling and just doing things like fender lips door handles etc, basically stuff that need to go into the body panels! Hopefully it will work out and whereas the Sandman took 5 years, Iím hoping to assemble a body (without the filler work and sanding etc) in a week or two. Lol...yeah I know...wishful thinking!
Old 02-09-2019, 12:09 PM

The chassis for each one, however, is going to be a different story...
Old 02-09-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini2DBone View Post
The chassis for each one, however, is going to be a different story...
Haha yes that's a different playpark, but I think you could maybe try to use the same approach as your bodies and find a way to be able to replicate chassis parts at will, once you have the template done. I looked up holden chassis on google and it does look like there are a couple funky shapes around where the front wheels starts (the chassis is wide and then go much narrower and higher just before the front wheels). I'll try to bring some ideas to the table when you get there! Or you could ship me a mostly finished body (shape wise, with reject parts and with a mock up floor attached, just for mock up of a chassis underneath) and I could try to do something for you? I am no expert though and it might not be as pretty as others do here! And in the end if you want to do 20 chassis then you might want to find a solution you can replicate on your end so you don't end up waiting for someone else!

Anyways, this is exciting and I look forward to the next update already!

Last edited by Frederik : 02-09-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Haha yes that's a different playpark, but I think you could maybe try to use the same method and find a way to be able to replicate chassis parts at will, once you have the template done. I looked up holden chassis on google and it does look like there are a couple funky shapes around where the front wheels starts (the chassis is wide and then go much narrower and higher just before the front wheels). I'll try to bring some ideas to the table when you get there! Or you could ship me a mostly finished body (shape wise, with reject parts and with a mock up floor attached, just for mock up of a chassis underneath) and I could try to do something for you? I am no expert though and it might not be as pretty as others do here! And in the end if you want to do 20 chassis then you might want to find a solution you can replicate on your end so you don't end up waiting for someone else!

Anyways, this is exciting and I look forward to the next update already!
Hey that’s cool Fred ! Will definitely look for suggestions when I get to that point! The coupe and I believe the station wagon as well, had a removeable front chassis. The earlier cars had leaf springs in the rear and the the later ones had a 4 link system they called a Radial Tuned Suspension. All of the others would have been full chassis with double wishbone suspensions up front. While it may be difficult to build the stock front chassis, I see that there are also after market tubular designs for them. Depending on how difficult the OEM is to build, I may very well go with the aftermarket design.

lol...which reminds me of a chassis I started playing around with using styrene, the plan was to build it from styrene, make sure it mocks up and it functions, then mold and cast with a very dense polyurethane resin.

Here’s a few pics of the chassis that I started...

Last edited by Trini2DBone : 02-09-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:28 PM

Here ya go...!

Watcha think?

97D599F1-378C-4DF4-8C81-42185654478F by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

D35D9950-6954-4DB5-B8F7-01CAE5CAB5EE by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

7424EC7A-49BB-4854-A0E4-94AEB122C9F0 by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

46F09BAD-6263-44CB-84FA-BEEF2C1F6E2B by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

6AEB9E85-DD64-4538-B23A-0CE61195D72F by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

Got a few more to post!
Old 02-09-2019, 01:41 PM

A few more... you can kinda see where Iím going with it...

A98DCCE1-8216-448E-BF57-AC6156DAD1BF by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

62FE9CEC-99CE-42CC-99AC-59565CF3A681 by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

AB4D057C-3B26-4727-BC04-E79D4F4C1C77 by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

62FE9CEC-99CE-42CC-99AC-59565CF3A681 by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

6D795303-DCA5-47B8-8AE2-743589489BD9 by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

2C39275B-83A1-40B7-9753-7AD0A04CE6B5 by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

2D982194-9520-4274-8838-E2C8E4EF6817 by Preston Lalan, on Flickr
Old 02-09-2019, 01:59 PM
Can I have the blazer back.....

Member Number: 19276

I knew I liked you from the first post of this beast...
ahahahahahahaahaha

Yer crazy.
But …
a good kind of NY crazy....haaaaa
Freaking awesome.
Till the wheels fall off good buddy..
I'll hold yer Beer.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Beers View Post
I knew I liked you from the first post of this beast...
ahahahahahahaahaha

Yer crazy.
But Ö
a good kind of NY crazy....haaaaa
Freaking awesome.
Till the wheels fall off good buddy..
I'll hold yer Beer.
Lol...! Thanks buddy! I knew you would get a grin outa this!
Old 02-10-2019, 06:45 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 14261
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

That can't be a Holden... It's got a straight bodyline down the side

Lots of awesomeness happening in here. Love the premier fronts, my favourite style especially on hx/hz.

You said one of every variant but you missed the good old kingswood sedans no love for the taxis? Or just going "up market"? Lol.

Holden did reboot the monaro but it was a poor effort and just looked like a plastic round blob with two doors. Was around for a few years starting with the VT commodore as a basis. Also did a limited run of sandman style "van" based on the ute around the same era but it wasn't a proper van, more of a ute with a fiberglass canopy that resembled a panelvan in silhouette. None of them did anything to impress me but then again I stopped liking cars when they took away the chrome bumpers.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2redrovers View Post
That can't be a Holden... It's got a straight bodyline down the side

Lots of awesomeness happening in here. Love the premier fronts, my favourite style especially on hx/hz.

You said one of every variant but you missed the good old kingswood sedans no love for the taxis? Or just going "up market"? Lol.

Holden did reboot the monaro but it was a poor effort and just looked like a plastic round blob with two doors. Was around for a few years starting with the VT commodore as a basis. Also did a limited run of sandman style "van" based on the ute around the same era but it wasn't a proper van, more of a ute with a fiberglass canopy that resembled a panelvan in silhouette. None of them did anything to impress me but then again I stopped liking cars when they took away the chrome bumpers.

Lol.. thanks 2redrovers! Havenít forgotten the sedan...lol..I used to own a HZ Kingswood SL sedan back in the day! I might build it, depends on how the Station Wagon turns out, it being a 4 door like the sedan.
I did read about the so called Ďremakeí of the Monaro and the Sandman, but wasnít that just a Pontiac that they rebadged? What I meant was with the mustang and camaro, you can actually see the old model beneath all the modern tweaks! Which got me thinking that maybe after I build the Monaro, I should try to put some modern tweaks on one of them lol...I have seen a few concept drawings on the internet, but not sure if they were Holdenís ( which I doubt) or an individual artist rendering....
Old 02-10-2019, 08:13 AM

Wow Preston that chassis you made looks awesome! You went all aout on replicating the shape, very nice! How would you go about molding this kind of shape? It seems there is no continuous plane surface, can you do a two parts mold? I guess that would be tricky when building the mold and not have the second silicon half sticking to the first one.

I was thinking if the stronger material is still not strong enough you could bend some threaded rod to approximative shape and putnitnin the mold before pouring, and end up with a teinforced resin? Maybe that would just create weak points though between the two materials. After thinking about it it seems the strong resin would be strong enough, maybe if you find a thinner area on the frame you could cheat and make it a bit thicker to get the desired stiffness. And you could put a steel floor to solidify, like 22 gage steel for bodywork, and bolt it to the resin frames.

Looking at the styrene frames makes me want to try a steel box frame! Looks like fun hahaha!
Old 02-10-2019, 09:23 AM
Can I have the blazer back.....

Member Number: 19276

Quote:
Wow Preston that chassis you made looks awesome! You went all aout on replicating the shape, very nice! How would you go about molding this kind of shape? It seems there is no continuous plane surface, can you do a two parts mold? I guess that would be tricky when building the mold and not have the second silicon half sticking to the first one.

I was thinking if the stronger material is still not strong enough you could bend some threaded rod to approximative shape and putnitnin the mold before pouring, and end up with a teinforced resin? Maybe that would just create weak points though between the two materials. After thinking about it it seems the strong resin would be strong enough, maybe if you find a thinner area on the frame you could cheat and make it a bit thicker to get the desired stiffness. And you could put a steel floor to solidify, like 22 gage steel for bodywork, and bolt it to the resin frames.

Looking at the styrene frames makes me want to try a steel box frame! Looks like fun hahaha!
Now you have me thinking...ahahaha
Chassis is purdy sweet.
All eye's here.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Hey Fred...funny how we think alike sometimes! Actually I was thinking of some 1/8 brass rods bent in the general shape to fit the molds...and maybe tie off some short pieces perpendicular along the rod before pouring the resin...kinda like what they do to re-inforce concrete...but then Iím also thinking that the polyurethane resins that I use will also be strong enough and may not require reinforcing. Because of the shape of the chassis, creating a typical top pour mold will not be possible, as generally you will want an entire surface to be open. On the other hand, im not a fan of the two part molds lol. So my plan is to use the first method, I know that parts of the frame will be totally encased in the silicone, but Iím thinking I will just use a hobby knife and put a slit in the cured silicone in those areas, so that the cured resin can be extracted later on. Obviously along these slit lines there will be some build up of cured resin from the pour, but Iím thinking that this can be easily filed /sanded off...!
This chassis will be for the Ute, panel van, and one tonner. For the coupe and possibly the station wagon, Iím thinking that I may do something similar to the MK2 Escort chassis that I did.