Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale On-road R/C > Car Discussion
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Car Discussion Touring cars, Rally Cars, Drifters, whatever!
Talk among yourselves!

Old 02-10-2019, 09:34 AM
'One cannot steal that which is freely given' - Trini2DBone

Member Number: 13990
B/S/T Feedback: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Beers View Post
Now you have me thinking...ahahaha
Chassis is purdy sweet.
All eye's here.

Lol...thanks 2Beers! Still a ways to go before I get there...one of the big issue will be the front cross member that also functions as the engine mount and has the lower suspension arms attached to it... Iím thinking brass at this point, but how to attach it to a resin frame? Drilling holes for bolts can create a stress point...lol... but then again thatís just me over thinking....lol
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 02-10-2019, 10:31 AM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 20276
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Is there a type of glue that can bond the resin and make a strong bond, kind of like MEK melts the plastics and make them just like they are one piece?

Edit: sorry for a second I thought the subframe could be resin separately cast, but you would still have tue same issue for mounting the suspension components.. holes etc.

Maybe if the resin is chuncky enough where the holes will be it will allow you bolting through? In doubt of strength you could add a steel plate on both sides of the resin chassis where it bolts so the bolts dont apply pressure directly at the hole?

Last edited by Frederik : 02-10-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederik View Post
Is there a type of glue that can bond the resin and make a strong bond, kind of like MEK melts the plastics and make them just like they are one piece?

Edit: sorry for a second I thought the subframe could be resin separately cast, but you would still have tue same issue for mounting the suspension components.. holes etc.

Maybe if the resin is chuncky enough where the holes will be it will allow you bolting through? In doubt of strength you could add a steel plate on both sides of the resin chassis where it bolts so the bolts dont apply pressure directly at the hole?
I usually use super glue for bonding resin bits together, or even styrene bits to resin...but these were usually small parts that were stress free....
I will probably try thin brass sheeting / strips first, kind of like a strap around the chassis at the bolt point, but instead of drilling holes for bolts, I will try to solder brass nuts or tubing where the ends of the straps meet, and use those to bolt it together, kinda like cinching it closed (donít really know the correct terminology) then maybe a brass cross member can be soldered to the strap...? You know me...itís all experiments...lol!
Old 02-10-2019, 12:18 PM
Can I have the blazer back.....

Member Number: 19276

Will you drive it scale ?
Or are you thinking Brushless with 6 cell Lipo's piggy backed together for that water jumping skinny tire speed ?
ahahaha
I think honestly the casting would be more then plenty.
It's not a traxxix go faster...hehehehe
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Beers View Post
Will you drive it scale ?
Or are you thinking Brushless with 6 cell Lipo's piggy backed together for that water jumping skinny tire speed ?
ahahaha
I think honestly the casting would be more then plenty.
It's not a traxxix go faster...hehehehe
Lol...yeah...I think you are right! I do believe the casting will be enough!
Old 02-10-2019, 05:08 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 14261
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini2DBone View Post
Lol.. thanks 2redrovers! Haven’t forgotten the sedan...lol..I used to own a HZ Kingswood SL sedan back in the day! I might build it, depends on how the Station Wagon turns out, it being a 4 door like the sedan.
I did read about the so called ‘remake’ of the Monaro and the Sandman, but wasn’t that just a Pontiac that they rebadged? What I meant was with the mustang and camaro, you can actually see the old model beneath all the modern tweaks! Which got me thinking that maybe after I build the Monaro, I should try to put some modern tweaks on one of them lol...I have seen a few concept drawings on the internet, but not sure if they were Holden’s ( which I doubt) or an individual artist rendering....
For once, we exported something before we stole it lol. They made the monaro but gm was a bit scared to give it a proper go, so they decided to get Pontiac to flavour it up a bit and sell it that way. Commodore fans then decided the Pontiac front end looked better than our version and Holden ended up selling it as well as part of a performance package. The monaro died but the Pontiac influence remained on the HSV line up.

Just a note on the chassis shapes, if you're going for super scale I believe there is a difference between the ute and panel chassis. I can't for the life of me remember exactly what it was but fuzzy brain says it's around the kick up behind the cab. I have a sneaky thought in my head that the panel actually used a wagon chassis not a ute one but I might be wrong there.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2redrovers View Post
For once, we exported something before we stole it lol. They made the monaro but gm was a bit scared to give it a proper go, so they decided to get Pontiac to flavour it up a bit and sell it that way. Commodore fans then decided the Pontiac front end looked better than our version and Holden ended up selling it as well as part of a performance package. The monaro died but the Pontiac influence remained on the HSV line up.

Just a note on the chassis shapes, if you're going for super scale I believe there is a difference between the ute and panel chassis. I can't for the life of me remember exactly what it was but fuzzy brain says it's around the kick up behind the cab. I have a sneaky thought in my head that the panel actually used a wagon chassis not a ute one but I might be wrong there.
Well...not really planning on super scale... was just trying to see if replicating the chassis was even possible...if I ever get to the point of making a mold for it, I may very well abandon it if it doesnít work out... but decided I wanted to try it this way as I want to try making a double wishbone suspension like the 1:1 lol...
Old 02-10-2019, 10:16 PM
Wasting Time'r

It's cool, not like (build) I'm trying to (super) implant some (scale) kind of subliminal message (chassis) or nuffin..... Or am I??? Hehehe

I did a quick Google to jog my memory and stumbled on this site you might find useful.

http://www.truckjungle.com/2012/02/0...ner-1971-1985/

The main difference between the models is the tonner chassis with it's extra bracing and longer wheel base, with the styleside ute and panel sharing a common shorter chassis without braces.
These might be useful too, tonner chassis pics.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:35 PM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028

Finally finished a top build, and he's going into production with them
Old 02-11-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2redrovers View Post
It's cool, not like (build) I'm trying to (super) implant some (scale) kind of subliminal message (chassis) or nuffin..... Or am I??? Hehehe

I did a quick Google to jog my memory and stumbled on this site you might find useful.

http://www.truckjungle.com/2012/02/0...ner-1971-1985/

The main difference between the models is the tonner chassis with it's extra bracing and longer wheel base, with the styleside ute and panel sharing a common shorter chassis without braces.
These might be useful too, tonner chassis pics.

Hey 2red! Thanks for the link and the pics! And the info! Will have a read on it tomorrow, I did notice the brace on the tonner chassis when I was looking for pics on the internet!
When Iím done with the HQ nose panels, I think I might start looking into doing the chassis...probably a mixture of styrene and brass fittings on the master, once that looks good enough, will move on to the molding... donít know why, but I feel something telling me to build it super scale!
Old 02-11-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
Finally finished a top build, and he's going into production with them
Lol...! Well I do have a soft spot for the Old Holdens...but maybe that soft spot is on my head...lol.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:17 AM
Wasting Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini2DBone View Post
Hey don’t know why, but I feel something telling me to build it super scale!
Who said super scale? Did someone say super scale? Where was this mention of super scale? Did you read super scale somewhere?

Hehehe.. all your scaling is super

the wishbone front end would be really cool. They're not the most attractive construction in real life but then again they weren't exactly Rolls Royce either.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:06 AM

Hey guys...here’s another

Did a bunch of wet sanding, puttying, sanding, priming, sanding, puttying, sanding, priming, sanding........ well....you get the idea... till I basically said ‘thats it ... it’s not perfect, but perfect enough lol... decided to lay down some paint as it’s the surest way to see any defects... once the paint cures in a couple of days, I’ll make the mold and then make a couple of casts. This way, the casts will be just like the painted pieces and will require minimum work when assembling...

Anywho, here’s a few pics...watcha think? I think it kinda looks like a HQ...

224A6E41-6342-456D-8D8E-7D2237BF90FB by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

5D7A2E6E-4CEE-43EF-B76A-A614EF22FC31 by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

4617CEF1-3B4E-4A93-B997-48CFA164AB5C by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

349F7D2A-ABB4-4295-A846-B89B49A8DFF8 by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

919816C7-6092-455E-B5A6-4F4EDEDF435D by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

E5DCF99E-2050-4238-B1AB-E84E61BC33AF by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

126A58B7-47AA-4BCA-ADA1-6245679F006B by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

Last edited by Trini2DBone : 06-27-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:51 AM
Can I have the blazer back.....

Member Number: 19276

Purdy....
Muscle car green.

your chrome paint is still the bomb.

Great up date.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:50 AM