Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Monsters, Scale 4X2, & Non scale R/C > Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles This is the place to put your Sand Scorchers, Bajas and other various 2wd offroad R/C's

Old 10-01-2015, 11:21 AM
I have too many Cars.

Member Number: 19724
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Tamiya Rising Fighter Upgrades

Hello everyone, I know I have been away lately but I have been busy with a lot of things to fill my life. I picked up a Rising Fighter for a little project I am working on. As I am enamored with the Hornet and its derivatives, how could I not get one. I looked over Wood5tocks Super Hornet II build and rather enjoyed it but much like him, the stance of the rear is kind of weird. I will be keeping the RF’s rear floating axle mounts as I would like to keep it as much RF as I can but I cannot get my head around the rear shock mounts. Obviously as you look at the RF, it is no doubt that the trans was in no way designed for it. The Mad Fighter and Mad Bull had a nearly horizontal rear shock which used the rotation of the transmission as the suspension where the RF uses the near vertical movement. Since my plan is to go down the Hornet/Super Hornet route with the car, I will be designing a “super hornet-esque” rear shock mount as well as longer rear shocks. May compromise the functionality of the rear end but improve the looks. I have a plan for functionality but for the time being, I will focus on the rear shock mounts first.

Here is the car as it arrived. Fully ball raced and happily used. For $40 shipped, it was a bargain. Plus, I don't like new cars, they make me not want to use them for fear of scratching the chassis.

The stock rear uses an 82mm shock attached to the trans. For usability, I think it is the best of the solid axle cars Tamiya has ever made. I am not used to this transmission but it seems to be a well built unit:

This photo is not related but how did this happen? I have seen it on my Grasshopper II and my Super Hornet as well. Glad I bought several new chassis years ago.

The cars ride height is way to high at the rear so I will lower it to give it a lower look. I will retain the RF’s floating axle stays as I mentioned earlier though I know that will make it a lot faster to drop the car to a more attractive stance.

So for those not familiar with the Super Hornet rear end, here is a shot of mine (pre resto) and SuperFly with the re-engineered rear end that I designed:

And a closeup of SuperFly:

The rear end design did create a noticable increase in stability under load but not a massive difference. We are working with a torquing solid rear axle after all. I have designed large prototype plates here so that I can vary the shock placement for both appearance as well as aesthetics. Once I find the correct placement I will redesign it and run some load tests on it. What you cannot tell is that the lower bore (the large one) that the axle shaft goes through is tapered to match the axle tube. The upper hole is where the screw mounts it to the transmission. I will also have a link between them like the Super Hornet.

The thickness of these for prototype purposes is 0.5mm. This makes them cost about $2 to print them here at the office.

I need to print them today and then test fit them. This will be fun! Keep you posted and I would love some comments and ideas.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 10-01-2015, 05:46 PM
I have too many Cars.

Parts have been printed and roughly fitted. Ill bring them home and test it all out. Remember that the size if for testing to see where I want to place the base of the rear shocks so they will be very pretty when done.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:55 AM
I have too many Cars.

Well that was quick. I installed the trans with the new mounts and after testing a few positons I found one that both dropped the rear, increased shock travel and did not interfere with the chassis upon full compression. Here is the stock profile:

Here it is with some super hornet shocks and the revised lower shock mount:

Compared to its father:

And Grand Father:

This is the mounting location that I chose as it worked best for functionality and aesthetics:

Clearance when compressed:

Spacing the shocks so far out was odd but this is how it is done on the super hornet. Then I took a look at my design on Super Fly and decided that mine was better than tamiya's as the shock is captured and supported on both sides. Here was layout one:

And the version I will be going with, layout two:

Here is the comparison. Sorry SuperFly is a bit dirty, the last race was...aggressive.

So that's where we are now. I will tidy up the design and do one more test print before it's all off to shapeways for ABS plastic prints.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:39 AM
I have too many Cars.

Revised the rear mounts and I think I have a winner! The angle is correct and the placement interferes with nothing, though in some areas the clearance is tight.

The holes are there to make the prints cheaper. These two cost a grand total of $1.05.

Compressed and clearing the original mounts:

From behind. The Super Hornet Cross bar will be added as well though it will be my take on it.

And now the final look:
Old 10-08-2015, 06:16 PM
I have too many Cars.

Since final fitment worked perfect I will finish my design. Here is where I am now with the structural analysis completed. I need to make the crossbar and then they are off to Shapeways!

Old 10-09-2015, 05:33 PM
I have too many Cars.

The design is done! I kept the basic look of the Super Hornet so they all look related but gave it an upgrade by adding some exhaust tips. The are shallow at the moment as I wanted to make sure there is ample clearance at the face for the trans. I thought about adding a stinger exhaust (as this is a Hornet Project) but felt that it would be susceptible to damage as well as lacking in the realism since I didn't want a pipe just hanging out back. Off to shapeways and then I build!

Old 11-21-2015, 04:58 PM
I have too many Cars.

The final design parts came in from shapeways so now is time to put this together!

Main side panel installed. Fit was perfect:

Spacing under transmission torquing:

And under maximum compression:

All installed with cross brace:

This works just like the one on the super hornet but this version actually allows for full suspension movement.
I added some little exhaust tips for fun:

the rear:

under full compression:

Notice the spacing under the rear slots. Does not hit the ground still:

Overall i am thrilled at the result and after one little change I will place them on shapeways. I am going to go paint the tips now.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:41 AM
In the future GEESE will be rocket powered!!!

Member Number: 88

Why hasn't anyone commented on this? Always awesome to see some innovation as it relates to the old classic Tamiya engineering and Tamiya's quirky design choices. (Truth be told, I'd love to see Tamiya do more simple, charmingly eccentric buggies - not just more re-re's.)

SOOBSCREEBED!!!

Old 01-26-2016, 07:20 AM
Varyag og Muspelheim

Member Number: 1018
B/S/T Feedback: (14)

Indeed. I grabbed one of these because it was the last hurrah of the Super Hornet, but with a view to refine what it's got.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:32 AM
Screamapillar

Member Number: 13559
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

I sometimes wonder what was going on in the Tamiya design department back in the 80's. I think that they had a serious grudge against the plastic molding factory, and to get back at them, made them work some long hours...
Old 01-26-2016, 11:07 AM
I have too many Cars.

Thanks guys. The old solid axle buggies are the best cars for a park to let some steam off. They are fun and hilarious to drive but I agree, the plastic molding on these is insane. Tamiya must have wanted to make the manufacturing guys work hard for a paycheck.