Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Big Rigs, Multi axle, & Tracked Vehicles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Big Rigs, Multi axle, & Tracked Vehicles The place for "Semi" talk!
Tamiya and Wedico Tractor trailers!
Tamiya and other brand R/C Tanks and Tracked vehicles. And any vehicle with more than 2 axles; 6x6, 8x8, 10x10, etc!

Old 02-22-2020, 12:16 PM
I like to make things.

Member Number: 28889
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprinut View Post
Yep allthread is basicly a rod that are threaded all the way, like a really long bolt without the head.
The dump truck guys have made their own system for years doing so.
And more recent years used on printers.
If don't remember wrong, the printers seems to use fine pitch M5 or so.

A normal allthread can be bought at you hardware store, at least where I live.
I'm using 3 or 4mm allthread to make my own links on my rigs.
Saves a bunch of money vs buying link kits.
LOL,sorry, I know allthread, used it for the trailer axles, etc. It's the bearing stuff I didn't think of. Of course here in the US getting metric allthread is a pain. Heck, getting ANYTHING metric is a pain, at least locally. End up mail ordering everything, and I'm just not patient

-- A
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 02-22-2020, 12:22 PM
I like to make things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryCan View Post
root shingle highway ........ keep that a secret, we do not want the city grabbing that idea, cause we would be driving on it LOL

I make a joke but it has a realistic road look about it. How are you keeping them from separating ?
The straight sections just sit there, the shingles seem to be heavy enough not to blow away in the wind. The grass is gonna be holding them down soon enough, have to go mow my highway!

The curved section at the end is glued onto some expanded mesh from the scrap pile. God bless Liquid Nails, that stuff sticks almost anything to most anything else. Including skin (learned my lesson years ago and get disposable nitrile gloves by the 100pk.)

The one pain I may have mentioned is that masking tape does NOT stick to the shingles (nothing does, they're oily!) so the paint is wildly inaccurate (but then so is the scale I figure it's 20' good and we all got a good laugh out of Dad playing with toys (I mean, testing out the new build) out there.

-- A
Old 03-08-2020, 11:26 AM
Hate RTR cars, these should be banned!!!!

Member Number: 448

Regarding you dad driving.

It's much simpler to pretend yourself sitting in the driver seat, than just look at the truck and navigate.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:24 AM
I like to make things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprinut View Post
Regarding you dad driving.

It's much simpler to pretend yourself sitting in the driver seat, than just look at the truck and navigate.
You assume my dad should be allowed to drive a 1:1 car Also where he's from, they drive on the other side of the road, so it's all kinds of weird.

-- A
Old 03-27-2020, 09:32 AM
I like to make things.

I haven't updated in a bit because, well, life happens, but here's a bunch of pix with quickie descriptions. As always, restrain yourselves from snarky comments about my poor measuring skills as I am well aware of them I promise I'll get to videos as time and weather permit. Particularly with the trailer, the sheer size of this thing means taking it all outside which becomes somewhat laborious and reliant on mother nature.

Did up various lifting apparatus for the crane; the strap is ribbon from the craft store and heatshrink on the end, with hotmelt glue inside crimped in a vise.

These fit in various toolboxes on the side, including a diamond plate one done on the 3D printer

Yeah, I know, diamond plate can be bought, but I was bored. It's actually surprisingly hard to CAD up diamond plate, as it's not a single diamond shape, but two intersected. I might have spent a bunch of time with the calipers on the 1:1 toolbox on my pickup ..whistle..

Also printed some hooks for small chain -- that's an M3 bolt, for scale -- using solder connectors.

Top one was first design that kept falling off the shackles, second one has just enough snap to keep it in place but can still be undone. Those go on the safety chains for the trailer.

-- A

Last edited by dremu : 03-27-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:56 AM
I like to make things.

These are 55 gallon drums, with longer versions of the above straps. The pallet is premade, bought as a set of drink coasters no less. They were so cheap I couldn't pass 'em up (cheaper than me making them even, and balsa is cheap!)

My Subject Matter Expert for warehousing (my wife, used to work on a factory floor) took one look and said "Those have to be shrinkwrapped on the pallet, it's how you move the drums" ... and lordie, shrinkwrapping them with plastic wrap was harder than it looked.

But I think it came out okay. Totally Toys For Big Boys, but fun.

The short straps go on an IBC (intermediate bulk container, not a root beer) aka "water tote"

This one was a ton of pieces, but came out well, IMO. The center is printed in translucent filament, a cube with rounded edges. Then each edge of the cage is a grid of half-cylinders (the corners are gnarly, with 45's beveled so they all match) and then the base...

and the fill and drain plugs you can see above. Few dabs of CA glue et voila. The base is set up for forklift tines just like the pallets. (This is what in the writing world they call "foreshadowing.")

-- A

Last edited by dremu : 03-28-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:07 AM
I like to make things.

Earlier we saw a bunch of wooden boxes where I tried my hand at balsa work. Turns out it's just like regular woodwork, only tinier and fiddlier But some of them came out decent. Also, some of the stains were better than others, but plain balsa is so ... well, plain, just had to give it some color and weathering.

Hobby store had a mixed pack of balsa and basswood and such which came with a bazillion ~1x2 strips, so they got chopped up and glued together into lumber piles. Then some very narrow ribbon for the strapping.

Also helps to have decent tools. Had a plastic miter box but it was crap, so it got tossed for an aluminum one

Which was pretty good, but kept scooting around the work surface. Epoxied it to a big honking piece of steel bar with thick foam rubber on the bottom to protect my desk and provide some friction. Now it STAYS PUT

The pallet-slash-drink-coasters came in a six pack, so some random RC accessories and a raid of the spare parts collection ... these are rotted out HMMWV tires

printed up some Pelican cases in different colors

and then a slew of 50cal ammo boxes

The ammo boxes are actually printed individually and it's kinda a shame they aren't more visible as they came out very nicely IMO. Used "earthquake putty" aka "museum putty", basically like "Silly Putty", to stick 'em together under the net.

Again, helps that I have 1:1's from which to measure. Not that I collect militaria or anything, but apparently have a garage well-stocked with sturdy containers =))

Yeah, I know the ratcheting strap is neither ratcheting nor to scale. I tried to do both and failed. While this one just clamps the strap, it does actually hold things fairly well just via friction.

The hooks on the ends are paperclips bent with needlenose and then soldered. And filed. And filed.

Spring steel is (1) surprisingly hard and (2) surprisingly sharp =)) There's likely some blood on the work surface there, ow.

And finally, a series of traffic cones in various colors for the truck and various containers for the truck and trailer. The orange and green ones are a little grubby as I've had those filaments forever. Even after baking them (they're hygroscopic) they likely still had some water in or were deformed. Or were just crappy filament to begin with. ..shrug..

-- A

Last edited by dremu : 03-28-2020 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:26 AM
I like to make things.

Random aside: I know it seems as if the 3D printer is my solution to all problems ("Print ALL the things") ... but sometimes there are other solutions.

Tried once (late when the hardware store was closed) to make a bushing to fit an M2 bolt into an M3 eyelet.

Yeah, no. That was the best of several I printed. Most broke as soon as the bolt went in or if I looked at 'em funny. Next morning ran down to the hardware store and a coupla bucks' worth of brass tubing...

Et voila, a proper bushing. Sometimes simple, tried and true ... just work.

Also, as discussed, printing is a dark art more than a science:

Many trials and tribulations to get the temperature and other settings just right, specific to any given variety and brand of plastic (and specific printer, and phase of the moon, etc.) The piece should be square, as on left, but if the parameters aren't all in alignment, the dang thing warps (right.)
-- A

Last edited by dremu : 03-28-2020 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:34 AM
I like to make things.

Last major sub-project for Frank before I officially say he's done was one more rack-container-whatever for the truck and trailer. This one is a water container called a "Hippo":

This one doesn't have as many parts as the conex nor quite as many moving bits as the box rack, but hopefully enough detail to be interesting.

As usual, we start in CAD

They're missing some outer detail that comes later, but you get the idea.

-- A

Last edited by dremu : 03-27-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:47 AM
I like to make things.

Flat and box bits are easy, sheet styrene, and the square tubing is acrylic because that's what the local place stocks.

Quickly discovered that the center tank is actually a weird shape, see the sort of pointy corners inside. (It's not just an elongated oval, but actually four ovals.)

And it's larger than even my big printer can do in one go. Split it into three, plus a few slightly larger sections to look like the bands around:

Regulatory cat scans must be performed. This is actually a great weight test for Frank as Faith weighs like twice the conex!

Test passed. Nap time.

Forgot to get hinges at the plastic place, they're closed for the weekend, how hard can it be?

Huh, actually came out okay.

My styrene fab skills are materially improving (yay!)

That's a slide-out tray, with a hinged door (door stop to left).

Once painted, two printed batteries go there with some wires, a few dabs of paint and theyr'e not half bad

Right side has some printed bits and some fabbed:

The door lifts up and has a prop rod which rotates 45* from horizontal to vertical:

The bits inside don't look anything like they're supposed to, but were leftovers from Frank's body kit and, oddly, a set of window blind valances for the garage. At least gives it some interesting detail.

-- A
Old 03-27-2020, 10:57 AM
I like to make things.

Both ends get various accessories, not always to scale but in the spirit of the 1:1. From what little I could Google, the Hippos are sort of made-to-order anyway so there's no single standard.

I really shoulda ordered real decals, but I did the laser-print-on-Avery thing again (last time I do it, I swear.)

But, as always, it's fun.

Detail works is again a mixture of kitbash leftovers, some styrene fab, and printed parts. That diagonal mesh on the right, no way was I gonna build that by hand, but was easy to CAD up and print.

It has the same footprint as the other two, so fits on either truck or trailer:

That was torture testing the trailer hitch, where we finally got the lunette sizing dialled in for crazy off-camber tow. Well, as crazy off-camber as (1) these truck should ever see and (2) as my yard allows

-- A
Old 03-27-2020, 11:02 AM
I like to make things.

So I think that wraps it up for Frank, until I get around to doing videos of the crane and swapping containers from truck to trailer and such (making a mental note to myself there.)

Until then, however, let me remind you I said "foreshadowing" earlier about pallets and just post this teaser

I have a few pix and videos of this here at https://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sh....php?p=1072443.

-- A

Last edited by dremu : 03-28-2020 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:27 PM
yes I can tow a house

Member Number: 12594

That is an impressive build.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:20 PM
I like to make things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedually View Post
That is an impressive build.
Thanks! There's stuff I'd do different, stuff I wouldn't do again, and stuff I'm not proud of ... but overall, it came out as I expected and intended.

-- A
Old 03-31-2020, 02:40 AM
Posts all the Time'r

Member Number: 20917

impressive stuff!