Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Agricultural and Industrial Equipment
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Agricultural and Industrial Equipment A place for your agricultural, industrial, and other heavy equipment builds!

Old 02-07-2020, 04:58 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 14261
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Uhuh..... Allegedly.......

That portapot definitely would have gone walkabout... at least for a while.... and there probably would have been a chase.. But honest, I was gonna bring it back... Honest
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 02-07-2020, 05:14 AM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028

Yep, can't make me testify against myself. Once i'm more confident in how much it lifts, its definately gonna be portapot time

Behold the ugly!!!

I had a lot of words written out explaining this, then while i was dropping keyboard off screen to reread something it tried to post. Token expired. "Not today Lao Che!"

I'm going to bed.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:12 PM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 19557

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
Yeah, but round doesn't work well with a steel tape measure. Plus She already has a propane bottle file that looks close, so if it scales near the number i did get it should be good.
Sorry I have not gotten on this yet.. been crazy busy but should have a little time to come up for air on Sunday & sit down and do a little calculating for size..
Old 02-07-2020, 06:07 PM
Wasting Time'r

That's a lot of stuffs in there. Before your token expired I think I caught a glimpse of it.. Kinda went like.. ".. Well I crammed this in here and then I crammed that on top with those under there and while I was cramming , that's gonna go there then this here...... And it's a forklift"
Did I get that right?
Old 02-07-2020, 07:21 PM
Another Newbie

No worries, i'm not going to rush somebody about hobby stuff.

Yeah rover, lots of cramming, suggestions to use lube, and i think it ended with "...and it's just that easy!"

This isn't the best way to mod one. This is my way, with only what i had on hand, on a tight schedule. "Yay the forklift is here! I will not mod anything on it until after the meet, oh the steering died. Panic and upgrade it really fast!"

I pulled the stock steering gearbox out, hogged out the fender liners for tire clearance for more angle. I should have also trimmed the top steering retainer plate to get max angle. I matched servo horn length to the steering gear pin-fulcrum, made a J shape brass thing that pokes into the draglink. Draglink center hole was drilled to size for the brass J to take out the slop it would have had. I probably should put something like a fender liner around the servo and fwd side of fenders to help keep stuff out

Hoist&drive are stock, i just added escs. I took the power switch from one and hooked it up to my power switch on bottom. I pulled red wire out of rx plug on other so it's not on 2 bec. Both esc hook up parallel to the battery.

For Rack-Tilt this way, the body needs modified a little. i removed the U shape piece with the "rack cylinders" and dumped the springs. I cut slots in the rack cylinders, and drilled holes in the "rack tilt actuator rams", passed a rod through the actuators to be a crossbar. Make the rack cylinders silver or chrome. Found a place to stick a servo on the hoist/drive gearbox, made a linkage with a Z-bend and a loopy to hold the crossbar. I need to put a sleeve or something on the crossbar to keep the linkage from moving sideways. The body had some supports that i had to cut for clearance of my crossbar, study the pics, be sure to keep the parts that hold the U shape. Make sure crossbar isn't too long and binds on outer sides of body.

If i were smarter my rack tilt would probably be done with a continious rotation servo mounted vertically with a linkage running to the same style actuators. This way when moved it would just cycle rack fwd and back, and should hold location where ever stopped. My current setup is about vertical, until you push and hold rack one way. Or i could have put it on a Pot channel.

Cram everything you can under the rx board. Make sure the escs aren't going to interfere with the steps in body. Stuff the extra wiring up under the seat when installing body. If you cut out part of battery compartment, take the door off to help see what binds as it closes.

Think it through, test fit often, don't do something you can't undo unless you're sure.

I think i mentioned cutting out the 3aa battery rack to hold a 4aa rx pack. I know it could take bigger mAh lipo than these nimh. It's got some runtime, but i'm not trying to make driving this a job.

I'm also going to put some lead in the chassis later. Won't go too crazy, it's only like 130 size motors with a 700mAh battery.

Last edited by frizzen : 02-08-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:17 AM
Wasting Time'r

All that and you still have room for the twin turbos.... I'm impressed
Old 02-08-2020, 04:56 PM
Another Newbie

It looked tight in there for a twin turbo, so i think we'll go with a single big one so that we don't have to pull the engine to change plugs.

The real ones of this model that i see at work are Diesel, with the fuel filler cap being on the left side in the black stripe, i left mine orange. I'm not sure if they have some with a dual-fuel gas/propane engine on them. I do know the bigger lift that i sometimes run which has the raised counterweight uses Propane.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:58 AM

so based on the measurements given, and doing a little scaling math, then converting to metric.. this is where the lp tank sits right now..

the original model on the left (i had no dimensions at all when i made it) and it appears to be closer to 1/12 scale than 1/10...

the 1/14 scale version is on the right.. the light blue bars are set to the dimensions calculated/converted to mm.

need to pull it into another program and tweak the bottom ring just a little, it looks too short to me at the moment, but that is a super easy fix.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2020, 03:48 AM
Another Newbie

They look really good for guesswork! If you'd like I can try to get a couple more measurements off the big tanks in a few days. Guess i'll need to measure up and get pics of the different bottle racks too.

Been thinking i may also need a couple of the little 20lb tanks, got a 1/14 'standy' Camper trailer shell someone thought was a Christmas decoration, that's not much bigger than my Teardrop.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:49 AM

if you could get a tank body measurement that would be outstanding, but i understand if you cant.

the 20lb version I made from measurements of our gas grill tank, so it should be fairly accurate, would just need to tweak the scale a bit.

if you are wanting to fill the tank with a little extra weight, I can split it at a clamp location to make it easier to do that - then hide the seam with the clamps.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:19 AM
Wasting Time'r

That's a clever idea ^^^
Old 02-11-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2redrovers View Post
That's a clever idea ^^^
=) been around the block once or twice with this kind of stuff, hehe

and since I use ABS, once filled, joining the 2 parts together is super easy.. line them up and brush a little acetone over the seam.. it works just like the liquid styrene glues (bondene & others) - melts the joint together, making it stronger than the surrounding layers.
in fact, acetone works better than superglue on ABS.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:45 PM
Another Newbie

Ok i finally got back to a tank and grabbed a few more measurements.

Yes that's on a boom lift, not the fork. Same tanks and I didn't feel like searching the building just to find a fork with one on.

Height of top flange - 7"

Height of base flange -2"

Around tank body at center weld - 38"
38/3.14 = 12.1" diameter
Old 02-17-2020, 06:21 PM

awesome!

and who cares if it is on a fork or not.. if it is the same tank, it is the same tank.
could'a been an empty one in the rack for all i care, LOL

does have a much taller top collar than I thought, tho.. but that is easy to tweak.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:27 PM

Member Number: 29114

Those setup are awesome. I didn't it I would enjoy seeing forklift in such way.