Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Monsters, Scale 4X2, & Non scale R/C > Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles This is the place to put your Sand Scorchers, Bajas and other various 2wd offroad R/C's

Old 01-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Three .001 on every moving part.

Member Number: 2344
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker47 View Post
lookin good!

Chris
Thanks for the kind words there Chris (trucker47).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors4u View Post
I had a Kyosho Ultima back in the late 80's. I hated those rotary speed controls. I don't know how many I went through.
Yes, driving around at anything but full throttle heats a MSC up pretty quick. That is why I put an ESC (Novak Cyclone) in the Beetle. The other two are complete, so I plan on just leaving them with the stock MSC's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADMUTHATrUCKER View Post
I'm curious.... how they ran the front wheels on the truck?. It just seems to have rears slapped right on the front. Did they do the unthinkable and just slipped the rims right onto the stub axle?
Yes sir, they are simply a set of rear wheels bolted onto the front. Primitive??? Yes, but remember, this was 1983 and servo's were actually being mounted using "servo tape" too.

The Cox Sidewinder was only released in the U.S. and it came fully assembled as an RTR, with an unpainted body and no radio. Although it does have the usual Kyosho logo molded on the tub and the battery door, along with the words "Kyosho Corporation" cast into the transmission cover, the body only displays 2 small Cox logos. The tires have "GOODYEAR" with the winged foot molded on the sidewall and the goodyear logo appears on the front fender as well. The Sidewinder models did not sell very well making them somewhat rare today.

Let's see now...
The Beetle has been upgraded with 2 flanged bearings per wheel. The Tomahawk has the original large single brass bushing per wheel. The Sidewinder has rear wheels bolted to the front and there is no option for installing bushings or bearings. I did clean the front wheels on the Sidewinder and put a drop of oil on the spindle and they actually free-wheel pretty good. Better than what I expected, but the vehicle does not appear to have a whole lot of run-time on it either. I would expect that the front wheels would wear pretty quickly without regular maintenance tough.

Thanks for checking out my thread there fellas.

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 02-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Screamapillar

Member Number: 13559
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

Beautiful job on that amazing classic. I have always wanted one of those. I will have to settle for my Kyosho Blizzard Dx as my only vintage Kyosho. So, when you want to sell, let me know, and I will be there in 5 minutes (as I am only one town over from you!)

Last edited by Small Factory : 02-08-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:30 PM
WHO MADE WHO??

Member Number: 9929
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Old Buggys

Very nice I like all the old metal buggys from the 80s. Here is my Rowdy
Old 02-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Varyag og Muspelheim

Member Number: 1018
B/S/T Feedback: (14)

I believe Cox were just importing/selling certain Kyoshos under license in the US during the 80's, sort of like the Model Rectifier Corporation was with Tamiya.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Kyosho View Post
Very nice I like all the old metal buggys from the 80s. Here is my Rowdy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBPT7-EhtBM
Very nice Dr. Kyosho. Never had a gas buggy before, but a couple of weeks ago I did manage to acquire a Kyosho Assault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADMUTHATrUCKER View Post
I believe Cox were just importing/selling certain Kyoshos under license in the US during the 80's, sort of like the Model Rectifier Corporation was with Tamiya.
Yes sir. I believe so. This is the original box-art for the Cox Sidewinder.

Here is another buggy I have been putting back together.

Newest project...

So many buggies and other projects going on that the beetle has not been touched in quite a while.

Thanks for taking a look fellas.
-Arco
Old 04-26-2011, 06:30 AM
When In Doubt, Power Out

Member Number: 14110

that looks really sleek and cool
Old 06-14-2011, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landcruiser FJ40 View Post
that looks really sleek and cool
@Landcruiser FJ40
Thanks. Glad you like it. Hope you like it still.... now that it has a paint-job.

**UPDATE**

Finally got all the materials together and did some spray-work on the Beetle. Started with some Pactra Outlaw Black. All the colors are Tamiya polycarbonate sprays. I used PS-1 (White), PS-16 (Metallic Blue), PS-19 (Camel Yellow), PS-43 (Frost Orange), PS-48 (Semi-Gloss Silver Anodized Aluminum), and PS-Bright mica Red.

Main body color is Camel Yelow. The stripes are, Metallic Blue, Bright Mica Red, and Frost Orange. The Camel Yellow was backed with White to make it opaque. The stripes were backed with Anodized Aluminum to achieve an iridescent effect, then a couple coats of White, then a final coat of the Anodized Aluminum on the entire underside.

Also changed the wheels and tires. The front wheels are from a Tomahawk and the rear's are from a Sidewinder.

Got a brand new reproduction Turbo Scorpion body and wing in the mail today... ....got some new (tamkyo-reprodecals) Turbo Scorpion decals from ebay too. I still have the original NIP Cox Scorpion body that came with the "Yellow Tub" roller. Just recently I scored a NIP roll cage, NIP wing, and a set of "tamkyo-reprodecals" reproduction decals to make a complete O.G. Scorpion body-set. I also picked-up a a couple of reproduction bodyshells (Tomahawk & Assault) from Kamtec Models. To go with the repro body-shells, I purchased some repro decal sheets (Assault & Tomahawk) from Marwan on ebay. One body painted, four more to go....

Thanks for taking a look.
-Arco
Old 06-14-2011, 04:55 AM
new kid on the block

Member Number: 11461

Finally the Beetle gets the love it deserves. You've done it proud Jay, it looks freakin' awesome!

Are you gonna run it??
Old 06-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Screamapillar

Member Number: 13559
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

These vintage Kyosho's have so much soul. Wonderful...
Old 06-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Administrator - Professor Spoon! I have Evil Powers, and I teach! Mwuhahaha

Member Number: 16
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

lookin sweet

Old 08-22-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebeehex View Post
Finally the Beetle gets the love it deserves. You've done it proud Jay, it looks freakin' awesome!

Are you gonna run it??
Thanks for the compliments there Daniel. I appreciate it.
Yes, the Beetle is RTR. I have done a test run indoors, but I haven't had the time to take it out for it's maiden voyage yet. One day, I'll get around to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy2Wheels View Post
These vintage Kyosho's have so much soul. Wonderful...
Thanks.
I agree. Started with a Scorp back in 84 and it has always been a favorite of mine. Feel fortunate to have one once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon37 View Post
lookin sweet

Thanks Spoon.
Added a few more to the fleet....

Kyosho/Cox Scorpion, Kyosho Beetle, & Kyosho Tomahawk

The Cox Scorpion with the Black tub on the left is a new addition. It has a new body, new wing, new CRP front tires, and new roof w/roll-cage. Just finished a complete restoration. It is now a roller,w/stock motor, no electronics.

Kyosho Advance

Won this car on ebay. It was an unfinished project that needed some finishing. It is a Kyosho Advance with a custom mid-engine conversion. This car is currently in the process of being cleaned, polished, and re-built. I am also finishing the fabrication on some custom components needed to complete the project and make it a runner.

Kyosho/Cox Scorpion, restoration & re-build.

Below is another Cox Scorpion restoration. This one has a yellow tub and came complete with vintage futaba electronics. Recently underwent a total rebuild & restore including with a new body, wing, and roll cage & roof. Also installed some new Pro-line front tires, along with a pair of rare sand paddles in the rear. They are mounted on Assault/Advance/Beetle wheels. This buggy is now complete and is a runner. Body still needs painting. Also pick-up a reproduction Kyosho Scorpion decal sheet for this buggy.

Kyosho/Cox Scorpion

Kyosho/Graupner Scorpion

Won this car on ebay. Mint condition from Germany. Has Graupner servos installed. Never been run. Looks brand new. This is now my pride and joy.

Below you can see the "Electric" Advance under construction. Chassis is polished and re-assembled. Electronics bed, battery tray, and radio tub are mocked-up awaiting a body. Ordered-up a repro body set from Marwan on ebay. Also pictured is the brand-new 6-turn Astro Flight racing motor that I installed. Coming along....

Thanks for taking a look. -Arco
Old 08-22-2011, 01:54 PM

Default Kyosho "Electric" Advance Buggy w/mid-engine conversion

Currently under construction. More photos.

Thanks for looking.
-Arco

Last edited by Arcocustom : 08-22-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:06 AM
Administrator - Professor Spoon! I have Evil Powers, and I teach! Mwuhahaha

Member Number: 16
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

Cool, this thread is a bit of an education in kyosho buggies - never seen an Advance before

Looks awesome though, plus if you do want to run it that astro flight 6t wont be short of power

Old 09-02-2011, 03:27 PM

@ Spoon37
Yes sir. Thanks. I try to find as much info as I can. The Advance was kinda a hunk-of-junk. The Assault was introduced to fix most of the problems. The Advance had a smaller motor than the Assault and it suffered from a weak plastic sprag on the starter gear... in addition to some lack-luster bodylines.

The Advance that I am working on has been converted over to electric using the stock transmission and some custom motor mounts. The engine is mid-mounted off the rear shock tower. I purchased the car several weeks ago and it arrived about half completed. Been working on finishing it up and making it run.

http://www.flickr.com//photos/390303...54372927/show/

Made a test-run video today....

Also...
Second Tomahawk chassis. Trimmed and installed a new reproduction body from Kamtec on it yesterday. No mold lines = PITA

Old 09-06-2011, 02:41 PM

1983 Kyosho Advance (Electric Conversion) is now complete. Here's my paint-work on this particular model. Thanks for taking a look. - Arco