Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Other R/C and Misc > Static Models
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Static Models This for you static display modelers. 1/24, 1/25, 1/18, 1/43, etc static display models, kits, pre-builts, whatever. If you got it, here's your forum.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Posts all the Time'r

Member Number: 19510
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Rebuilding Mercedes L6500 truck

Hi,
In April 2013 I presented at a forum in Spanish language for modeling a thread where I explain the process of rebuilding a static truck model to approximate scale 1/15. Although I have presented in the Spanish forum I think may be interesting to present it again in this forum in English. This will repeat the same pictures and text, but translated into English. Hope you like it. This is the process..........:

Hello everyone :

When I was 4 years old (now I have 65 ) my father built me a small scale as a Christmas present a model of a Mercedes truck. It was completely static, no engine , but very detailed, even with manual steering . At the time I played a lot with him and he was eventually cornered in an attic of the family home until about 5 years ago I rediscovered in a sorry state . Imagine my joy to find it again . I've been waiting until I , now that I'm retired, decided to rebuild it. It is an approximate scale of 1:15, though not in every one of his pieces . It measures 610 mm long.

Not a crawler or works with RC , but I thought maybe someone in this forum may be interested in the recovery process of an " old truck " and I 'm excited to share with you

I make a little history . The model of Mercedes Benz in which my father was one inspired that he had driven in the 40's -20th century. I think you can be a Model L6500 , version 3 axes.

Although I have understood that Mercedes in the 30's sent some trucks to Spain, chassis version, which the bodywork is incorporated here. The only reference I've found graphic is a picture where you see a very similar truck loading pictures in Del Prado Museum at the imminent bombing of Madrid during the Civil War. Here you have it.

The only thing I have of my truck are these 2 pictures, not very clear indeed and my own memories. Notice that the first perspective is curiously similar to the Del Prado Museum Truck

The current status is this:

Well, I do not know how I'm going to organize it but will try to leave it again. It will be a long process, I have to combine with my other occupations. This is a topic of great sentimental value, you understand, but also a challenge for me. And then there's my grandson, a lovely 4 year old boy........... XD

Greetings to all

Last edited by Rangeman : 05-10-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:20 AM
Posts all the Time'r

Hi,

I advanced a little information about the features of the truck:

The chassis is made of sheet iron, together with copper rivets handmade. The vertical walls of the cabinet is made of sheet iron and tin cover is rounded. Tin solder and some brass (yellow). The axes and other metal parts are made ​​from lime and lathe. I attached pictures of the various parts where you can appreciate that require much work done with the few means at his disposal my father.

With the passage of time have lost the doors, hood, grille (with Mercedes star), bumpers, running boards, steering wheel and "vis-sans-fin" direction, the wooden box, the wheels (still have any of the original). So I have a lot of work ahead ....!!

I show some pictures of the current state before it begins to dismantle and clean:

Set axle, leaf spring, front left wheel hub

Front axle with leaf springs and bushings and steering, seen below

Left spring assembly and the two rear axles

The rear axles and leaf springs all the seen from below. As you can see, everything is a little skewed because of the use

Close up of the cabin

Original rear wheels

And an overview

Soon

Last edited by Rangeman : 05-10-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:11 PM
I build Lowriders

Member Number: 1386
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Wow. I will love watching your progress.

"When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."
Old 03-01-2014, 01:32 PM
Posts all the Time'r

Hello:

I start disassembling the axles and additions with some difficulty because most are stuck with rust so many years, but slowly come out. Existing bolts are threaded Whitworth, common in the 50s in our country. However I will use for the reconstruction metric thread. Once I disassembled coat paint stripper and sandpaper to remove rust.

I started with the front axle. I put pictures at the beginning and how they were once clean, both disassembled as the whole. Notice that this set of front axle consists of 96 pieces!

A friend who has a lathe, it has made ​​me wooden wheels, to respect the original idea.And now I illustrate this stage some

Turning a front wheel

The front wheels are embedded a brass bushing bearing friction ago

Original condition of the front axle and leaf spring

The front axle as seen from below

Another view without wheel hubs

A front leaf spring

I begin to disassemble and clean the crossbow. In the background, the axis. Comment: The front axle is a single piece made from lime and drill.

The two front spring clean once

Complete detailing including front axle leaf springs, bushings, wheels, ..... In all, if I'm not mistaken are 96 pieces

Here you can see mounted on the front axle. Can be seen in more detail the

For now this is it. Greetings and see you soon
Old 03-02-2014, 05:03 PM
'One cannot steal that which is freely given' - Trini2DBone

Member Number: 13990
B/S/T Feedback: (7)

Wow! Nice work on the restore! Have you ever seen another truck like this elsewhere?
Old 03-03-2014, 03:05 AM
Posts all the Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini2DBone View Post
Wow! Nice work on the restore! Have you ever seen another truck like this elsewhere?
Thanks "Trini2DBone"
I've never seen a real truck like this. Only I know pictures, such as these:

It is a model that Mercedes built in several variants. During the 30s of last century, Spain sent several trucks on chassis-engine version that were bodied locally
Old 03-03-2014, 08:52 AM

Okay...cool!

Have you ever seen another model like yours?
Old 03-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Posts all the Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini2DBone View Post
Have you ever seen another model like yours?
I saw something on the net, but not manual manufactured like mine.

Regards

http://vdmedien.com/mercedes-l6500-3...l?cPath=35_257
Old 03-04-2014, 12:11 PM
Posts all the Time'r

Hi,

In the next phase I've gotten to the rear axles. Following the same procedure as with the front, I disassembled the whole and giving the stripper and sandpaper, I tried to let each and every one of the pieces, clean well.
I was unable to take advantage of existing hardware, so I put all new
There go a few pictures.

Initial state-spring rear axle group

Bottom view

With the original wheels

About to remove the spring

Disassembled crossbow

This part has the appendages broken by the harsh treatment we gave when we were kids and we rode up truck. I'll try to fix it with adhesive putty Pattex. If not I will have filled with iron electrode and re-machined
[/img]

I have already applied the paste, lack shape the appendages

Clean Axles

Details proximity of axes. Pay attention to the work of turning and especially lime, considering that each of them is one piece

Detail of the longitudinal bore. Remarks wear on top from use and has given clearance to the inner shaft

Complementary pieces making up the pivot point of the rocker shaft attachment: attachment to the chassis and fixing crossbows

Stringers joint axes

More views of the axes

Crossbows mounted again. Beautiful, right?

Details of all the pieces that make up the group of rear axles. In total, except error are 106 pieces!

Crossbows fixed axle

Views and details complete unit

Regards

Last edited by Rangeman : 05-03-2016 at 04:59 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:23 AM
Posts all the Time'r

Hi,

I got my friend the turner manufactured me the rear wheels. Look pretty good, by the way

You can see the set with the new wheels, a lack of polish and apply paint. The screw axis is "

The next phase will be the chassis. See you guys

Last edited by Rangeman : 05-03-2016 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:59 PM
Posts all the Time'r

Hi,

I give you a little more information about the process. Specifically, on the chassis. After removing the axles and the cab, I removed the chassis, breaking handmade copper rivets originals. I was not able to keep bad, but they were in very poor condition and had been caught using game. I've replaced with a 3 mm aluminum.

After removing the paint from the side and cross've straightened everything I could to give a primer and then paint it matte gray. Once the paint dried I assembled with rivets.

Now go some illustrative photos.

Chassis in original condition. You can not see too well but is full of bumps and deformations

Detail of fixing the front bumper (lost over the years).

Detail of the stringers and transom once clean

Hole which would set the "vis-sans-fin" triggering the steering, also lost

Here as you can see various views of the chassis mounted and painted again.

With the axes placed

Front axle zone

The rear axle area

So long, greetings

Last edited by Rangeman : 05-19-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:30 AM

Wow! Looks great! Hard to believe that this was built 60 years ago...! Sweet!
Old 03-20-2014, 06:03 AM
Posts all the Time'r

Hello friends

Lately I've had to diversify my time between several subjects, other than modeling (still life), which I have greatly slowed the progress of my projects. All I've done is give primer to the wheels and the metal parts of the axes. As a test I put photos join justifications.

I also removed the old paint from the cab. Surely you will say with me that I removed the patina, the vintage, branded the years ...... But as you will see, the paint was in very bad shape. And I also like to remember the initial state of the truck, on Christmas Day 1952, on the kitchen table, all shiny ....! ha, ha, ha

Primer based on the wheels (rear, front and spare) and the metal parts of axles:

The cabin in original condition, after 61 years since its construction ...!

Clean cab, observe yellow metal welds

The lower part of the cabin

For now that is all. Continue soon. Regards

Last edited by Rangeman : 05-19-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:41 AM

Looking good!
Old 03-20-2014, 10:49 AM
Posts all the Time'r

Hello,

As I 've mentioned before, my busy schedule does not leave me much time to pursue my modeling projects . But I always find some point. Work I show today does not seem to represent a breakthrough, but I assure you I have taken several hours. This is the painting phase of wheels, axles and additions . The chassis had already painted, but the color did not quite like me and have given me taking advantage of an airbrush I 've disassembled and repainted . Between coats , drying, setting , etc. . ,days have passed . I have given a coat of clear lacquer for spring and fall color metal and hopefully not rusting .

I have also had to adjust the inner shafts and rear axle swing that had a lot of play due to wear . From rod " , which I have located on a background of hardware store , I've built again. This and some more adjustment , I managed to correct some distortion and slack in the axes. In summary, I have finished this chassis - axle - wheel phase. I put some pictures to see what you think .

Wheels painted

Chassis parts repainted

The painted front axle components

The rear suspension components painted

The front axle reassembled

The rear suspension mounted again

The chassis with the axes placed

Thanks to "Trini2DBone" for your comments and I would like to know the opinion of some other follower of the thread, whether critics. Encourage you!

Well guys, that's all for now. Greetings.

Last edited by Rangeman : 05-19-2018 at 01:35 PM.