Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Micro R/C Trux!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Micro R/C Trux! Anything smaller than 1/12 scale. VMGs, Mini Z's etc!

Old 05-07-2018, 11:36 AM
I've been here so long my banana's turned purple!

Member Number: 3180
B/S/T Feedback: (29)

Before you print the new mount......hows the servo placement,i see you mentioned raising the height?

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 05-20-2018, 05:27 PM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Mk 2 and mangled mk1

Servo height sitting on top of mount is pretty good, doesn't need the mount slot, i couldn't dig out the support matrix anyway. Dimentions and everything above clear the body great.

I quickly realized when i spec flat bottom on mk 2, i forgot about servo arm swing, and diff pumpkin clearance.

--

I made servo drag link out of copper again, ran to right tire which clears better and to minimize any bumpsteer through my "massive articulation". You know the old saying... This is temporary, unless it works.

--

Highboy for the hotrodders...

Last edited by frizzen : 05-22-2018 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Add pics.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:44 PM
Another Newbie

If you have a wpl, go buy the metal axle upgrades right now!

The upgrade is SO much better! The set i got has ball bearings, brass gears, steel shafts, steel axle stubs, aluminum knuckles, brass bushings for steering links, and cvd driveshafts. I'm not sure how the other style metal cv-joint driveshafts are.

I rebuilt my front axle and it went from having a couple of fairly hard sticking points to as smooth as i'd expect from chinesiem gears that need to wear in.

I'm thinking pretty hard about getting the 2-speed trans for this too. Which means i'll really have to pick up some electronics and make it drive at some point.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:19 AM
I've been here so long my banana's turned purple!

Member Number: 3180
B/S/T Feedback: (29)

my brother has the other metal upgrade with the black steel gears,comes with full bearing,all good quality.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:11 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 14261

I did get this same wpl truck and have driven it a few times but not really done anything with it until yesterday. Had a day off and was just tinkering (getting no where as usual), been trying to come up with an alternative body I can actually fab up. Was hunting through the paper models available online for any interesting trucks and found a bedford

Still haven't worked out exactly how I'll make it(or something in that kind of style) as I could go with aluminium or maybe mdf. I printed up the paper version of the cab to what I thought was the right size but turned out too big for the wpl. Wish I had access to a 3d printer for some decent wheels.. would like to make it a more street/civilian truck with lego tyres.

I did make some new frame rails today, longer than original, were easy to fold from 0.5mm steel. Maybe I'll actually get somewhere towards a working model some time soon. I've modified it to servo steering but untested yet because I can't find what I did with my losi mrc electrics. I'm also looking hard at the 2 speed trans for it or the Q60 thats on its way here for Christmas.

What esc are you going to use for yours?
Old 11-13-2018, 11:46 PM
Another Newbie

That'll be a pretty cool body. I'd start looking at sheet styrene or maybe brass if you wanted to go more hardcore.

I still havent run mine more than about 200 feet of testing, it was on a borrowed RX and ESC that went back in something for the last truck meet.
Plus my bed still doesn't have a dump mechanism, and i havent decided on front body mounting, no lights, still didn't learn cad enough to draw a Model AA interior...

I'd just go with a cheap 10a or 20a brushed esc with reverse, brake is a nice option but you don't need it.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:39 AM
Wasting Time'r

I've thought about styrene but the cost and glue fumes put me off mostly. If I make time to go for it, I'm probably most comfortable making it in thin steel. That way I can hammer and shape, then just weld it together. I'd be happy with ally but as you know that's a pain to join together.

I like that Bedford but I'd be ok with any COE in that similar feel. I like the early trucks, some of them had awesome styling. Its fairly simple to build I think so even if its not "the one", it's good practice. Actually the one would be a 50s dodge coe, but thats a lot more complicated shaping.... one day...

Probably going to pick up a pair of 20a esc for the two trucks, they have brake even if I don't think its needed and gives a bit of leeway if I upgrade the motor a bit.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:33 AM
Wasting Time'r

I saw your post on rc construction about the fs-i6/6x. How's it working for you? I'm looking around for a radio that will work for basic and future projects (excavator), will the fs-i6x be a good choice? Looking for the 10ch unit as I think you need at least six for an excavator?
Old 11-17-2018, 04:11 AM
Another Newbie

I've got the flysky fs-i6, i really like it so far but it's got its quirks. A lot of the builders ive been following for years run these, especially on builds they sell. Right now I'd either get the fsi6, fsi6x, or step up to the fsi8, fsi10. Also hearing a lot of good about Frsky. I'm a noob at radios, and i'm cheap...

All switches UP to turn on radio, In the menus Cancel to set, the plastic is kinda cheap.
There's a 10 channel firmware for the i6 that i'm thinking about loading up after january. I've broken a switch (dogs playing, it fell) and still havent done the throttle to direction stick swap.

https://oscarliang.com/flysky-tx-rx-buyers-guide/

Right now it's been running my Michigan Crane, Ambulance, Police car.

An excavater is going to need atleast 6: Boom, Stick, Curl, Rotate, plus 2 channels for tracks. That still doesn't give any aux channels for lights or sound or whatever, or a seperate esc for hydro pump.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:41 PM
Wasting Time'r

Did you change the gimbals out for the self centering units? I understand most of these radios are built for planes/drones etc, does that mean we need to change the setup somehow to suit our vehicles? Ima bit nooby with this stuff too.. and no budget means cheap is awesome lol.

I'm not thinking heavy-duty with the excavator. I mean I've got a double e version which I could upgrade but don't have to, although I might lock the clutches and install limit switching one day. The kind of digger I'm thinking is the small servo driven jobs I've seen in many YouTube videos, like this type

Or better still, I really like backhoes

Something about the size to tow along behind a wpl truck would be sweet. Servo or gear driven would suit me fine, doesn't need to move the earth as just having it would be enough cool factor for me.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:52 PM
Another Newbie

I hadn't done the gimbal swap yet.
Crane is my most complicated and only needed centering proportional on Hoist, Crowd, Slew. Boom hoist went on the 3-pos switch. I don't have the carrier truck powered yet.

Bruder has a couple baby excavators i really like which would probably be good with Actuonics actuators and some gearmotors.

I'd be impressed if you can manage backhoe, most everybody says it's too tight unless you go 1/8 scale or bigger. Drive, steer / boom, stick, curl, rotate / outrigger / loader hoist, curl.

--
I swapped harder tires onto the nylint / wpl to help carry the body weight, and started wiring lights
Old 11-18-2018, 07:28 PM
Wasting Time'r

Which tyres are you using on the nylint?

I'd be impressed if I can make a backhoe of any kind happen let alone smaller scale. I haven't done much research into it yet.. still in dream mode.

I've seen a few baby excavators on YouTube which seemed to be all servo drive for the arm. Have no real idea but would have thought if you can fit that in such a small machine, it could give hope for a backhoe? Don't know how they are controlling them though.

I've stolen your thread again lol but at least dump trucks and excavators go together.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:31 PM
Another Newbie

I swapped the harder rtr tires off a jjrc on to it instead of wpl kit. The companies use the same rims/tires between them. I just wanted harder sidewall for a heavy body.

Now that quads, flight controllers, ibus/sbus micro reccievers... have become common, you might be able to cram enough channels in. I don' reallyt know, but i also don't know how the TTTT guys cram all that into a 1/87 scale truck.

Since it's already off the rails again, i've been gathering parts for either a bruder Cat delta skidloader, or an ertl Deere wheeled skidloader.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:53 PM
Wasting Time'r

Be interesting to see what the ones on my new truck are like... when I get it.. at Christmas (but I want it nowwww)

I'd go a skidsteer too if I could. I've got a lego technic one I keep looking at and scratching my brain if I can add power to it. Think its too small for lego bulky motors though.

I love watching the 1:87 scale vids on the tube. Awesome work to get so many functions and details into such a tiny space.

We're not off the rails.. just branching out into associated equipment .....maybe I should start a general ranting thread to mull over ideas instead of messing up your continuity?
Old 05-24-2019, 01:15 PM
Another Newbie

I figured out a mid body mount using a plastic strip and screw into an existing rivet hole. So the frame sockets onto the bumper extention, lays into the body watching crossmember location, then raise the plastic strip and rotate it across frame. Good enough.

Let's run some vintage equipment

Yes it pulled the Unit Crane. This one time. No it wasn't safe. It took ALL the truck had to pull the crane, motor smells hot. Only my 4wd Structo will be used to move the little Unit.