Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Micro R/C Trux!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Micro R/C Trux! Anything smaller than 1/12 scale. VMGs, Mini Z's etc!

Old 12-28-2018, 11:27 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 14261
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Wpl based ramp truck

Gday everyone, been a long time since I've posted any builds mostly because I get very little time these days. I'm trying to make some time as stress relief and got to have a break from work over Christmas. With RC goodies turning up this year I've been motivated to actually make something happen instead of just derailing Frizzen's threads all the time (sorry, not sorry hehe)

This build revolves around the wpl B1 truck I actually got for my b'day earlier this year. I've been attempting to do something with a different body for it and for a while considered a Bedford QL like this

Because I managed to find a papercraft pattern for one

That print came out a bit big (about 102% of scale) and I couldn't quite figure out how I was going to build it anyway so it stalled for a while again. I did make up some new chassis rails longer than stock from a scrap of 0. 5mm galvanized steel I had at work. I wanted to make it a car hauler whichever way I went with the cab.

Christmas break comes along and I have the bright idea of an old ford cab I had hanging around. The old radioshack 4wd pickups from the 80s? Tried it on for size and thought yep that'll work for me. Next stop, ramp truck!

The ramp is made from mdf and incorporated a cab mount to support the rear of the cab under the window.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 12-28-2018, 11:36 PM
Wasting Time'r

Wasn't happy with the stock wheels and tyres of the wpl, I wanted a more street look rather than military. Had some wheels from a toy RC that with mods may just work ...soooo

Made an adapter for the stock axles with a pen tube and some 0.3mm aluminium to fill the space and grip the hex, works quite well.

Mod the wheels to accept the adapter and fit together as a dually.. because who doesn't love duallies???

Screw hole through front to hold the wheels on as per stock. I made the fronts in the same fashion but with a cap to help hold things in place as well.

The motor pod is likely to move forward btw.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:42 PM
Wasting Time'r

The paint job on the body is leftover from the early 2000s when I first messed around with this bodyshell.

I'm not happy with the stance yet, needs more low in the back but can't get there. Thought about switching the axle over the leaf springs but haven't tried that yet.

You can see how I've clearanced the ramp underneath to get as low as I can over the chassis.

It's wafer thin in places lol. Overall, I'm happy with how its going and hope to actually finish this truck sooner rather than later. Fingers crossed eh...
Old 12-31-2018, 01:03 AM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028

About time you got a truck...

I might go a little bigger on the rear wheelwell, fronts going to need some shrinking.

Before you get too deep into having the chassis sit that high in the body, i'd see how it looks Spring Under Axle. Worked on my 1930s Dumptruck, and shouldn't risk the suspension sag with a car on it putting tires up into the body.

Bed looks fiberboard/mdf? Get the thinnest superglue (cyanoacrylate) you can find, and soak the thin spots. Makes it into a composite and much stronger.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:48 AM
Wasting Time'r

I've got trucks.. just want more time. Doh.

I thought about the leaf swap the other day when I was staring at it. I would have tried that this arvo but I left the truck at my workshop after tidying up some rough edges with the air belt sander.

Great tip with the super glue... I hadn't thought that far ahead other than I'm probably going to top the deck with pop sticks for the old floorboard look. The ramp is made from mdf, 3mm thick I think.

I've wanted to build a tow truck for years and so far this has been very simple to get together. I got motivated after unwrapping my Christmas goodies, the wpl Q60, two 10amp esc, a dozen mini servos and my new 10ch transmitter bundle

A step closer to my dream of digging mini dirt with a scale excavator or backhoe with all those servos
Old 12-31-2018, 04:52 AM
Wasting Time'r

I forgot I took a couple teaser shots

I don't have a car that's in scale unfortunately ..may have to remedy that at some point
Old 01-01-2019, 12:25 AM
Another Newbie

If you got a 10ch, i guess that means this truck is getting winches?

Wood planks would look nice, i was thinking more like Grip-tape / non-skid kinda texture.

I don't remember the mustang 2 build, gonna have to go looking.

What kinda mini dirt digger ya thinking?

My subaru come from down there, so i know you've got car options. Even if it just gets a static car strapped down, it'll be cool.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:02 AM
Wasting Time'r

That's not a mustang on the back in those pics, it's a tin model of an Ford XC Cobra coupe (like mad max and the cars that won Bathurst races in the 70s). It's a bit "off" but the resemblance is there if you know what you're looking at.

Diggers, I like the bruder stuff.. mini excavators, backhoe, skid steer.. anything like these would be fun

I have an old tonka? front end loader, basic farm tractor with a front bucket but it's about the right size for scale with the wpl stuff. I might try converting that first and then look into building a backhoe attachment for it once I've worked out the basic functions. This is why I got the 10 ch, I was only going to be able to buy one radio and I wanted the most function I could get so I can build anything with it.

I have a 3ch flysky as well which might power the ramp truck so a winch may be possible. I'll need to study up on how to convert the little servos to 360* rotation because I'll need them for the digger I think.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:29 AM
Another Newbie

Ok that makes more sence than a Mustang cobra 2 with front end damage. For a minute i thought you'd fallen in with the rc demolition derby guys and were making aluminum pans into bodies.

If it were an XB coupe, it would be the ducks guts! it sucks nitro...600 horsepower through the wheels...last of the V8s...it's easy, a piece from here and a piece from there...

Glad to see Red Rovers Speed Shop is finally getting a ramp truck. I was afraid i'd have to keep poking you to build an old sling-lift instead.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:30 AM
Wasting Time'r

I got the chance to try the leaf swap

The rear made a huge difference, so much so that the wheel arches sit on the tyres before the deck hits the frame now. Oh and the arches I cut so far are the bare minimum just to accommodate the wheels, I'm yet to define exactly how things will sit at the end.

I did the front as well but that created headaches. The stock mount for the wpl now hits the diff pumpkin and the steering arm will hit the frame too. I like the low look but I'll have to put some thought into how to make it work up front.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:57 AM
Another Newbie

I dunno if you can get things printed, or if this might help with a rough idea to build.

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sho...t=84642&page=3

Or there were some builds i saw somewhere that put the servo on axle with brackets off the top of spring perches

Also the wpl spring hangars have 2 height slots, so you can play with 4 heights fairly easily.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:57 AM
Wasting Time'r

I wish I could print stuff, I'd start with wheels and go nuts lol.

I forgot you did that set up, been busy with work and haven't had the brain to come up with a solution. I did think of a metal chassis plate which would look something like the printed one you did but half thought was as far as I got so far.

Ha! ya know I didn't even twig that the leaf springs could sit at different heights in the hangers, that may just come in handy lol
Old 01-04-2019, 07:02 AM
Wasting Time'r

So today was stupid hot here (43C almost unheard of) and there was no way I was working in that... so I'll work on little trucks instead

I followed a hunch and made a front mounting plate from a scrap of mdf with two bits glued on the side to fit snug in the rails and accept the standard screws. I had to shave the spring mounts on the back edges to clear the steering.

I decided to cut the deck away from above the rear wheels as I planned to cover the top wirh planks anyway. Results were worth the risk as I now have clearance under loads and the body sits as low as I wanted. It's not slammed in the weeds but more of a low stock look (in other words it will still go over bumps ..albeit small ones)

Rather pleased with that only hitch I have is the temporary front cab mount I put in the shell just HAD to end up sitting right where I put the servo... doh! It's not a huge problem, just annoying.

I'll end up making a mount that takes care of that once I'm sure the steering will work.

Slowly getting somewhere I think. Oh and you would have noticed the yellow body on the back, that's what the cab of the ramp truck used to be. The yellow one is near mint for its age and im torn over leaving it alone and making it into a more streetable truck.. any opinions?
Old 01-05-2019, 04:33 AM
Another Newbie

I'm digging that height a lot more. Is the back of it going to hold loading ramps?

Move servo inboard, make custom draglink?

That's a cool donor body.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:23 AM
Wasting Time'r

It does look good like that doesn't it. I've been googling pics of similar ford trucks and I think I've managed to get a realistic working height.

Yep there's room to move the servo and I will if I have to (I glued down some blocks to hold the screws though so I'm working around that first). I have a plan for a body mount that will mean I don't have to if it works. Have to make custom links either way.

Tossing up between hidden loading ramps and a visible lift up gate. Thoughts?

Once upon a time the ramp cab was made into a crew cab from two of these little trucks. I've got the parts somewhere, it looked cool but I couldn't get glue to hold it together properly at the time (was nearly 20 years ago). Don't know if I should keep the yellow one as is because of how clean it is or just go with the flow?