Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Scale 4x4 R/C's Top Builds
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 4x4 R/C's Top Builds Some of our favorite builds!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1876  
Old 11-03-2017, 10:41 AM
Trini2DBone Trini2DBone is offline
'One cannot steal that which is freely given' - Trini2DBone
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 3,460
Member Number: 13990
B/S/T Feedback: (7)
Default

Here's a few more next to the 1.7s that I cut n shut to 1.55 for the Sandman...it seems to take the weight nicely!

Watcha think?

image by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

image by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

image by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

image by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

Last edited by Trini2DBone : 05-09-2019 at 11:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links


The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
  #1877  
Old 11-03-2017, 04:07 PM
DougJ's Avatar
DougJ DougJ is offline
Idiot of the Month, July 2016 - Won a giveaway completely by accident!
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 1,222
Member Number: 20650
B/S/T Feedback: (2)
Default

I think you need to whip up an on-road chassis for this thing, stat!
It looks really, really good with the street tires and the mocked-up low ride height.
Reply With Quote
  #1878  
Old 11-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Trini2DBone Trini2DBone is offline
'One cannot steal that which is freely given' - Trini2DBone
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 3,460
Member Number: 13990
B/S/T Feedback: (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJ View Post
I think you need to whip up an on-road chassis for this thing, stat!
It looks really, really good with the street tires and the mocked-up low ride height.
Hey thanks DougJ! Yeah...I hear you...I picked up some styrene tubing to build the chassis ( you can see the tubing in one of the previous pics), but wanted to see if I can get the tires made first ! Will probably try to start the chassis this weekend, thinking of making it like the 1:1 chassis or as close as I could get it. 4 link rear suspension and double wishbone up front....lol
Reply With Quote
  #1879  
Old 11-04-2017, 11:11 AM
caprinut's Avatar
caprinut caprinut is offline
Hate RTR cars, these should be banned!!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grimstad, Norway
Posts: 3,940
Member Number: 448
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default

You have been busy my friend

Are you sure you are not Henry Ford in the rc world?? Lol
__________________
R.I.P Ole (8th Oct 2012)
Reply With Quote
  #1880  
Old 11-04-2017, 01:34 PM
Willezcr8's Avatar
Willezcr8 Willezcr8 is offline
Up to no good
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,631
Member Number: 9106
B/S/T Feedback: (16)
Default

A custom street version of this would be so awesome! The Torque Thrust look more scale for street also.
Reply With Quote
  #1881  
Old 11-04-2017, 06:19 PM
Trini2DBone Trini2DBone is offline
'One cannot steal that which is freely given' - Trini2DBone
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 3,460
Member Number: 13990
B/S/T Feedback: (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprinut View Post
You have been busy my friend

Are you sure you are not Henry Ford in the rc world?? Lol
Lol.... yeah...trying to get busy again....building season is almost here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willezcr8 View Post
A custom street version of this would be so awesome! The Torque Thrust look more scale for street also.
Yeah Willezcr8! Gonna be starting on an on-road chassis soon...! But need to get the tires sorted as well...will definitely be using them on those wheels . The wheels were made by Bullit (Harry) in his Shapeways store!
Reply With Quote
  #1882  
Old 11-05-2017, 08:03 AM
2Beers's Avatar
2Beers 2Beers is offline
Can I have the blazer back.....
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: lewisville, Idaho
Posts: 6,719
Member Number: 19276
B/S/T Feedback: (7)
Default

Um...Yaaaaaa.
But Can I have it ?????
Hahahahaa.
I knew the small wait was worth it. Cept the popcorn in my teeth..UGH..lol
Rocking cool as usual my good friend.
__________________
Walking the fine line between Realistic scale and RC functionality..
Ron
Reply With Quote
  #1883  
Old 11-05-2017, 09:59 AM
Trini2DBone Trini2DBone is offline
'One cannot steal that which is freely given' - Trini2DBone
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 3,460
Member Number: 13990
B/S/T Feedback: (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Beers View Post
Um...Yaaaaaa.
But Can I have it ?????
Hahahahaa.
I knew the small wait was worth it. Cept the popcorn in my teeth..UGH..lol
Rocking cool as usual my good friend.
Lol...thanks bud! you are first on the Sandman list soon as I figure out how to replicate the dang roof!

Anywho.... Here's a few more pics of the homemade hybrid 1.55 tire on a reverse Landy and a wagon wheel... ha! Took these before laying down some primer and some putty on the tire last night....
I'm really hoping this mold and cast procedure turns out good...

image by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

image by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

image by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

image by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

image by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

image by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

Last edited by Trini2DBone : 05-09-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1884  
Old 11-05-2017, 10:41 AM
Frederik Frederik is offline
Do you ever leave the board?
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,509
Member Number: 20276
B/S/T Feedback: (1)
Default

Way cool work on the custom tires! I think the smaller the wheel the better, seems like bullit's wheels are going to be the ticket! Now for the tires, are you cutting some on road tires and gluing to find the correct shape for molds, or are you already using molds and pouring tires? Are you also cutting 1.55 tires bead to glue it to on road tires so they fit the steelies? Either way I would be clueless about which stuff to use to mold tires, let alone do molds lol! Props for continuously adding techniques to your builds!

If you are using existing tires as model to cut and shut and find a starting shape for molding, for off road tires I think it would be awesome to create a more rounded sidewall tire, like what would be a more road-oriented pickup truck tire, or less aggressive off road tires. It seems like no one is building those and they would maybe be popular for scale trucks, stockish 4wd or even 2wd trucks. Maybe even car builds if you do smaller versions. For that, I think the tamiya rock cruiser tires (high lift tires) or hummer tires have a proper regular tire shape, maybe starting from them would be good shape-wise? Then cut and shut them to 1.55, and if you don't quite like the threads you sand it off until you only have minimal carcass left, cut off thread section from another tire and glue the thread of your choice on. They are fairly stiff though, might help to add new thread on, but would be harder to cut and shut etc..

Anyways, glad to see you come up with more awesome stuff, and +1 on bringing an on road chassis to the table!
Reply With Quote
  #1885  
Old 11-05-2017, 11:18 AM
Trini2DBone Trini2DBone is offline
'One cannot steal that which is freely given' - Trini2DBone
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 3,460
Member Number: 13990
B/S/T Feedback: (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederik View Post
Way cool work on the custom tires! I think the smaller the wheel the better, seems like bullit's wheels are going to be the ticket! Now for the tires, are you cutting some on road tires and gluing to find the correct shape for molds, or are you already using molds and pouring tires? Are you also cutting 1.55 tires bead to glue it to on road tires so they fit the steelies? Either way I would be clueless about which stuff to use to mold tires, let alone do molds lol! Props for continuously adding techniques to your builds!

If you are using existing tires as model to cut and shut and find a starting shape for molding, for off road tires I think it would be awesome to create a more rounded sidewall tire, like what would be a more road-oriented pickup truck tire, or less aggressive off road tires. It seems like no one is building those and they would maybe be popular for scale trucks, stockish 4wd or even 2wd trucks. Maybe even car builds if you do smaller versions. For that, I think the tamiya rock cruiser tires (high lift tires) or hummer tires have a proper regular tire shape, maybe starting from them would be good shape-wise? Then cut and shut them to 1.55, and if you don't quite like the threads you sand it off until you only have minimal carcass left, cut off thread section from another tire and glue the thread of your choice on. They are fairly stiff though, might help to add new thread on, but would be harder to cut and shut etc..

Anyways, glad to see you come up with more awesome stuff, and +1 on bringing an on road chassis to the table!
Hey thanks Fred!
Didn't really think about the high lift tires...! Will have a look at some pics of it to see what they look like!
The tires I'm hoping to end up with will be for the onroad chassis. Like most of the stuff I do, they basically are experiments as the pieces aren't readily available to buy. I'm not sure exactly how the rubber that I'm planning to use to cast them will turn out, in terms of rigidity and density. I'm hoping that they aren't as hard as the Tamiya pneumatic tires, being softer will provide a bit more roundness I hope..lol! I'm not even sure how well the casting procedure will go...ideally you will want to use a vacuum chamber to cast, but those are very expensive. The rubber mix is meant to be poured, but will be difficult to pour into a mold for a tire as you will have an outer surface as well as an inner surface to create within the mold.
The master that I made is basically the bead and partial sidewall of a 1.55 tire and the tread is from those cheap eBay 26mm touring tires. The outer diameter is approx 65mm.
On a more positive note, this rubber mix will be ideal for the fender flares, as they will bond to double sided tape!

Last edited by Trini2DBone : 11-05-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1886  
Old 11-06-2017, 07:01 AM
2Beers's Avatar
2Beers 2Beers is offline
Can I have the blazer back.....
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: lewisville, Idaho
Posts: 6,719
Member Number: 19276
B/S/T Feedback: (7)
Default

MMMMM MMmmm mmmm
Good stuff fer sure.
We need more pics im afraid though of this casting project.
__________________
Walking the fine line between Realistic scale and RC functionality..
Ron
Reply With Quote
  #1887  
Old 11-19-2017, 06:36 AM
2Beers's Avatar
2Beers 2Beers is offline
Can I have the blazer back.....
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: lewisville, Idaho
Posts: 6,719
Member Number: 19276
B/S/T Feedback: (7)
Default

Up-date needed......
Lets see some more of the new version grills in large pics...
__________________
Walking the fine line between Realistic scale and RC functionality..
Ron
Reply With Quote
  #1888  
Old 11-21-2017, 02:52 PM
Trini2DBone Trini2DBone is offline
'One cannot steal that which is freely given' - Trini2DBone
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 3,460
Member Number: 13990
B/S/T Feedback: (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Beers View Post
Up-date needed......
Lets see some more of the new version grills in large pics...
Lol...! Yessir!
Been hunting high and low for suitable material for the grille inserts, as its way too tiny for me to attempt to scratch build ...was looking at model train construction bits but was pointed in the right direction by 2Beers! Thanks buddy! The sewing aisle is where it's at! Lol...worked out pretty sweet!

image by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

image by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

image by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

image by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

Last edited by Trini2DBone : 05-09-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1889  
Old 11-22-2017, 12:35 PM
Trini2DBone Trini2DBone is offline
'One cannot steal that which is freely given' - Trini2DBone
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 3,460
Member Number: 13990
B/S/T Feedback: (7)
Default

Hey guys...another small

Made an old school points and condenser distributor ..... Still haveta prime, putty and wet sand then make a mold for it...then try pulling a few casts...

Watcha think? It's mocked up with glue dots in the pics so a bit askew....lol...

image by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

image by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

image by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

image by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

Last edited by Trini2DBone : 05-09-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1890  
Old 11-23-2017, 01:21 AM
luto92 luto92 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2
Member Number: 23873
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default

So freacking nice!
Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2019, Scale 4x4 R/C