Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Monsters, Scale 4X2, & Non scale R/C > Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles This is the place to put your Sand Scorchers, Bajas and other various 2wd offroad R/C's

Old 08-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Still Kickin' for Now

Member Number: 8401
B/S/T Feedback: (8)

The rules are pretty open as there are cars allowed that are already done already started and new builds so you got one and you said about building something else correct??

RJ22

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 08-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Builder of low end high budget vehicles...

Member Number: 4701
B/S/T Feedback: (31)

yup, i wanted a 2wd truck too. thinking about it...
Old 08-17-2009, 07:41 AM

Tossed the body and starting over. Didn't like the cage, and I think I can do better....competition is good! Taking this truck to a whole new level - updates to come!!

On a side note, I had an idiot moment at the LHS - I was picking up the new body and I grabbed the Desert Rat Carnage edition ilo the plain Desert Rat. (and it was $4 ccheaper - go figure) Totally won't work for what I have planned, but would make for a fun play body so I kept it. Curious to see how it works out.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:47 PM
a Dezert Speciez

Member Number: 3809
B/S/T Feedback: (6)

Dropping out of Unlimited 2 over time ? You must got something nasty up your sleaves for this one.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:40 AM

yup, got some other projects, as well as a 7 month old at home... 2wd axle is going into a large scale mustang build. Just couldn't resist. Also just picked up a TXT and E-maxx tranny for snow fun.

Going to see if I can squeeze an interior into this beast....my first attempt at an interior, this should be interesting. Between that and redoing the cage, should sail right into November!
Old 08-18-2009, 11:59 AM

Member Number: 962
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Nice!!
Old 08-22-2009, 12:32 AM
ACDYZG, destroying RC cars since 1995

Member Number: 8121
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

hey, just got a couple questions for my own build, could you tell me what your wheelbase is? and do you think that setup would allow 1/8 buggy wheels?
thanks
Old 08-24-2009, 07:09 AM

same as a stock slash, about 330mm. Sure, 1/8 wheels would work fine. you'd just need some 17mm hubs to bolt them on.

Well, let me just say the carnage body is nice in concept, but in reality is a piece of garbage. I cannot get the body panels to line up at all. Not impressed....spent an hour cutting and fitting and so far it just looks terrible. Then i dropped my airbrush that I just rebuilt and broke it. Then i spent 2 hours installing disc brakes on the baja and took it for a test drive and it strains the servo so much it actually stops worse than before. Just not a good RC weekend.

Good news is I have a ton of styrene, aluminum and a new non-carnage body coming today! time to start working on that interior!!
Old 08-24-2009, 01:51 PM
a Dezert Speciez

You know, I liked that carnage consept at first too but I think it would get real old real quick picking up all the pieces. In a racing situation you'll have all the other racers running over your paint job, and in a bashing situation you'll have pieces everywhere and by the time you get to picking it up you'll probably loose a piece. Then what? You're probably better off without it.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:28 PM

guessing that's why it was so cheap.

Got all my styrene, it's like plastic heaven in my workshop, i'll get some pics tonight. (also got a TXT kit so have been a little distracted ) got a ton of ideas, just nothing actually built yet.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:41 PM

Well, it doesn't look like much, but it's all the workings of an interior... had a few willys laying around - a little too big for 1/10, but pretty close for this truck. Now just have to start cutting!

oh, and got my Desert Rat, opened it up, and a hardcore body was in there... ?? (you can see it in the first pic) Desert rat on the package, desert rat decals inside...hmm. Calling tower tomorrow, this is an interesting issue. Thinking the desert rat was not meant to be.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:50 AM

Default Kudos to Tower Hobbies

Called Tower about the body issue, and they are shipping out a replacement body free of charge, no questions asked - fantastic service as always!! And it's not even their fault, apparently, there's a few hardcores that got mispacked as desert rats at Proline, I was the second person to call - keep an eye out of you are shopping for a desert rat.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:04 AM
a Dezert Speciez

So now you got both bodies what are the differences? From what I can tell on the desert rat is the side panel scoop and side mirrors. Anything else?

What they need is a Desert rat without the mirrors. I'd bite on that
Old 08-27-2009, 11:33 AM

Quite a bit actually, the DR is somewhat lower in profile overall, has a hood bump and side scoops, as well as what I guess are side mirrors. (?) Looks far more agressive and edgy overall then the hardcore, which kinda has that melted candy bar shape. Didn't like it initially in the pics, but now that I have one, I like it far better.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:45 PM

Finally out of my RC funk and back to building....my first interior! Getting started anyway. Never designed the chassis for an interior, and not about to start over at this point, so have to work around a few things. The WW driver is perfect as his head is about the right size, but the body is small so when mounted in the body he'll fit in there, look fairly decent even though it's out of proportion and I don't have to go too deep with the interior.

Started with the floor and some roll cage. Most of it will be hidden under the body, so it's pretty simple. Have to build up the dash and then I can start detailing. Styrene is strategicially screwed and glued together for strength, took a few tries till I figured out what I was doing, and may have to re-do a few spots....live and learn! May or may not re-do the entire rear cage this way, won't be stong enough for hardcore bashing, but should hold up fine for fun running.

Not much, but it's a start: